U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,343 times

Advertisements

I am relocating for work in Southport, but would like to rent in Wilmington until we get a better feel for the surrounding communities (I don't mind a 45 minute commute to work).

I am seeking input on what are the newer-build apartments in the Wilmington area. I hope members might also comment on whether these newer complexes are in areas that are also relatively safe (my threshold is whether or not my wife can safely take a walk by herself with our dog at night).

Many thanks for any replies. Looking forward to getting out of the Mississippi delta and enjoying the Atlantic coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 PM

700 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Mayfaire is the nicest and safest.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM

At $1250-$1475 for a two bedroom, I had assumed the Reserve at Mayfaire was a premium spot.

Any other opinions on newly-constructed/remodeled apartments in areas safe for evening walks? I'll be working in Southport, heading west over the bridge in the early AM and returning back east during the evening rush.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM

306 posts, read 1,199,224 times
Still Meadow Village Apartments down Carolina Beach Rd is worth a look. (TEAM Inc. - Durham, NC) Still Meadow. It is affordable (two bedroom for about $800 pcm), clean, safe, etc. Staff were decent. In a year the only problem we had was a dripping faucet and they fixed it speedily. When I researched apartments online before selecting this complex I noted that noise was an issue if you have someone living above you. I think this is a common complaint with newer apartment buildings. Anyway, we rented on the third floor and have not suffered any sleepless nights.

It is located at Monkey Junction/Myrtle Grove. There are shops/restaurants in the vicinity. It is more mid-scale here than the upscale Mayfaire area. Regarding your commute you may even be able to take the Fort Fisher to Southport ferry. Not 100% on this though. Edit: Scratch the ferry idea Southport - Fort Fisher Ferry Information.

Last edited by Snowpea; 11-12-2007 at 05:55 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 PM

103 posts, read 852,059 times
McMillan Oaks is affordable or Clear Run. Watch out for the college students. It is sometimes difficult trying to get an apartment when you have to compete with the UNCW students. Stay away from The Glen.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

103 posts, read 852,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Buckeye View Post
At $1250-$1475 for a two bedroom, I had assumed the Reserve at Mayfaire was a premium spot.

Any other opinions on newly-constructed/remodeled apartments in areas safe for evening walks? I'll be working in Southport, heading west over the bridge in the early AM and returning back east during the evening rush.

Holy cripes??? $1475??? That is more than my own mortage.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the good replies - keep 'em coming. You're right in that we don't need to rekindle our college housing days...

To be clear, affordable is great, but we'll pay premium rent prices for places that are in premium spots and with premium interior amenities. I don't want my wife getting homesick and wanting to relocate all over again because I ended up making a bad choice on a lease....

Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM

700 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Yeah-Mayfaire is more than our mortgage too,but you get what you pay for.If you want nice and safe,you pay more.You can walk to everything there(shops,restaurants,theater,grocery store,library,etc. and you're just minutes from beautiful Wrightsville Beach.If you can afford to pay premium prices,I'd definite check it out good before you rule it out.They definitely have premium amenities and I think you would be very comfortable and enjoy living there.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 PM

18 posts, read 116,321 times
Do not even consider an apartment here... Trust me, I over research everything to the 1000th degree and I've spent years on this housing market.

Rent a privately owned condo. I rent one that is 1400 plus sq ft, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, screened porch, jacuzzi tub in master suite, huge laundry room, custom closets, that's right across from the pool and a short walk to mail and dumpster... I couldn't ask for better...

if you don't have pets, i forget the name of them...but the ones on honeybee lane are nice...

also, bellingham park (I almost bought there)... breezewood, carlton place, village square (lamppost circle), ashley townhomes (I think, on racine??)

there are wait lists for most of the apartments in town and NONE are new construction... there are new phases and remodeled older units...but all have college students... especially mcmillan oaks or clear run (can't even tell you how many parties I've been to at those...)

mayfaire is WAY overpriced and not any more safe than anywhere else and riddled w/RICH college kids (way more annoying than poor college kids)... I know b/c I've been to a dozen or so parties out there since the clubhouse/pool/grill opened a few years ago...

also, the mayfaire apartments aren't that nice, they are tiny...

you could rent a private mayfaire condo... they rent for about 1200/month but are at least worth it... in my opinion...

if you are living in brunswick county, rent in brunswick county... you could rent a brand new 3 bedroom house for less than an apartment plus gas for commute in wilm

there are TONS OF NEW CONSTRUCTION apartments and houses in brunswick county...

good luck

Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,835 times
Myrtle Grove Village condos are extremely nice, clean, good floor plans, terrific landlord and very convenient (next to Lowe's Hardware, Walmart and Lowe's grocery all within walking distance). Prices are quite good, nice landscaping and paved well lit areas perfect for walking pets. They are also very open to pets and don't have high fees for them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina