U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Reputation: 1997

Advertisements

Real Estate Scorecard Reveals Top 10 Reasons to Retire in Brunswick County North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Reputation: 2068
The most interesting thing about the article is it's about Wilmington and all of the beaches in New Hanover County, not Brunswick. It misidentifies them all as being in Brunswick County. The article loses all credibility at the first sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Reputation: 1997
Well I thought it was interesting, I have no idea about the area other than the research I started doing...Either way I know from people I speak with Wilmington is fast growing with people looking to Retire...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Reputation: 2068
I agree it's good info, but If I was telling you there is this great place in South Carolina called Charlotte, or this great place in Cabbarrus County called Charlotte, even if everything I said after was accurate, would I not have a credibility issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The most interesting thing about the article is it's about Wilmington and all of the beaches in New Hanover County, not Brunswick. It misidentifies them all as being in Brunswick County. The article loses all credibility at the first sentence.
macjr82, this is a huge faux pas but it happens all the time in these Best, Best of the Best places to retire in the Coastal area of NC.

In Swimmoms' defense, if you are not familiar with the area, it can be quite confusing. We get a ton of info on retirement places on the NC coast and I spend a lot of time trying to find out exactly where they are.
Here is an example of some of the info we get Active Retirement Communities in Coastal Wilmington NC

Out of the 10 communities they mention, 6 of them are in Brunswick Co. Some of them are so far into Brunswick Co., they are closer to North Myrtle than Wilmington.

I don't know why this happens but the Chamber of Commerce in Wilmington should take notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Reputation: 2068
What makes it worse that relatively recently Brunswick County was removed from Wilmington's metro area and placed in Myrtle Beach's. I guess what county doesn't matter much when you are retiring, but in can mean a world of differnce in schools, taxes and public access to things like parks and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Reputation: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
macjr82, this is a huge faux pas but it happens all the time in these Best, Best of the Best places to retire in the Coastal area of NC.

In Swimmoms' defense, if you are not familiar with the area, it can be quite confusing. We get a ton of info on retirement places on the NC coast and I spend a lot of time trying to find out exactly where they are.
Here is an example of some of the info we get Active Retirement Communities in Coastal Wilmington NC

Out of the 10 communities they mention, 6 of them are in Brunswick Co. Some of them are so far into Brunswick Co., they are closer to North Myrtle than Wilmington.

I don't know why this happens but the Chamber of Commerce in Wilmington should take notice.
Exactly...and It is very confusing, I live in Charlotte NC and I know most of South Carolina as we visited quite a few places to plant roots they just weren't what we were looking for...

We have moved a lot so my research always consisted of Schools for the kids etc, however this move would be adult kids..lol so schools would not be needed...I hear so much of coastal NC it does get confusing...at this point from my research and speaking with people The coast might not be for us either, Florida keeps coming back into play for us but thank you for your Post because when your not familiar with an area it all sounds awesome when your reading..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Reputation: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
What makes it worse that relatively recently Brunswick County was removed from Wilmington's metro area and placed in Myrtle Beach's. I guess what county doesn't matter much when you are retiring, but in can mean a world of differnce in schools, taxes and public access to things like parks and such.
Actually it does matter when your retiring or not needing schools because people like us like to be near shopping, and Doctor's and Restaurants and especially the Water...but your right when one needs the Schools that all matters but in our case my right now my kids are 18 and 14 and by the time we decide where we want to be my youngest will be a freshman in college and where we decide to possibly plant roots she will attend college if she stays local...

but thank you for the Info because I had no idea that Brunswick county was so close to Myrtle Beach as we are not Interested in the Myrtle Beach Area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Reputation: 2068
It really depends on what part of Brunswick County you live which area you'd frequent. The more north and easterly would be Wilmington (New Hanover), south and westerly would be Myrtle Beach (Horry). Historically there hasn't been much in Brunswick County, just a poor rural county between the two. It has been built up some and has some popular subdivisions for retirees(St James Plantation and Brunswick Forest for instance), but I wouldn't recommend anyone with a family move their over the alternatives. It can be rough getting into Wilmington from Leland (which is actually in Brunswick County unlike everywhere in the article) depending on the time of day and the season. Also, despite more amenities coming to certain areas of Brunswick, like Leland, you'd still go to Wilmington (or Myrtle Beach if down south) for most of your heavy lifting as far as anything outside of the essentials.

In fact, I think the aforementioned subdivisions are the ones that benefit from and are resposnible for keeping up the confusion. They use Wilmington and New Hanover county beaches to sale their locations, since there is not much in Brunswick County to sale off of itself. Brunswick County was only added to the Myrtle Beach MSA this year, by the way, and there is a movement in the Wilmington area to get it changed back to the Wilmington MSA.

Last edited by macjr82; 08-07-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Reputation: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
It really depends on what part of Brunswick County you live which area you'd frequent. The more north and easterly would be Wilmington (New Hanover), south and westerly would be Myrtle Beach (Horry). Historically there hasn't been much in Brunswick County, just a poor rural county between the two. It has been built up some and has some popular subdivisions for retirees, but I wouldn't recommend anyone with a family move their over the alternatives. It can be rough getting into Wilmington from Leland (which is actually in Brunswick County unlike everywhere in the article) depending on the time of day and the season. Also, despite more amenities coming to certain areas of Brunswick, like Leland, you'd still go to Wilmington (or Myrtle Beach if down south) for most of your heavy lifting as far as anything outside of the essentials.
When you look at the new developments and go WOW..lol that draws people too, I know when I started my research on Brunswick Forest and Compass Point which I was actually excited about until some people sent me emails and their personal experiences, well I am now disappointed but appreciate the insight because there is no room for errors when looking for a Permanent place to live as we get older so all of this was very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top