U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,964,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Next question will be to build or buy. I have built twice (NJ and PA) and I am not sure I want to go through that again. Many of the re sales meet my general specs like open floor plan, master on the ground floor etc. I also believe that some of the "early birds" grabbed some of the best properties. With what I spent on window treatments and landscaping on the last home I could have sent a kid to college for a year! Once again I have time and as much as there is an increase in activity I don't see prices running away down there. Good luck and let's keep each other and all the posters abreast of our thoughts.
Sounds like a deal my man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Biscman - I understand!!! If we had our Mt. Laurel home paid off today (which is certainly is NOT) I would still need $1100 a MONTH for real estate taxes!! yikes!!
Isn't this crazy.!!! Could be worse if we lived in Bergen County or Essex County. Yearly RE taxes around 20-25 k a year.....

Last edited by biscman; 08-07-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Caco54 - We have been doing research and even though we are 5+ years out from living in ORP - we are finding out that most custom builders are around $175 - $225 sq. ft. for custom for our lot which needs a 2500 sq. ft. home on it. Yikes!!! We just may have to go as simple as we can and do a lot of the 'finish work' ourselves I think.....hubby is extremely handy and does great finishing work - actually can make furniture, too.
So for a 2500 sq ft home somewhere between 440k and 565k. Maybe just me but 564k for a new home in NC not exactly a bargain. Not Northeast prices but 2500 not a large home in sq footage for that $.

Economy must be picking up and Builders taking advantage....The American Way!!!!

Ha!!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM

897 posts, read 1,521,768 times
For you NJ people. I had a "semi custom" home built in Old Bridge, NJ in 1987 for around $180,000. Builder said taxes would be $2,700. They ended up $5,600. Sold it in Dec 1988 for $280,000 "hot market". Today the taxes on it are $15,600. Bad news is I built a house in Reading, PA for $280,000 and real bad news is it is worth about that 25 years later. Taxes are $6,500 but they will be lower when I make my move to NC.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 PM

562 posts, read 932,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
This recent video, hosted by Terry Bradshaw "Today in America" features Ocean Isle Beach.

Town of Ocean Isle Beach, NC Featured on Today in America TV - YouTube

How sweet is that?
Great video, Judi!! I never saw that on line!! thanks for posting!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,334,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Biscman, I believe I am in the same boat as you, torn between OR and SJP. I see positives in both but have 2-3 more years before I will declare a winner. I intend to rent for a period, easy at SJP not so sure about OR.
caco54, I think renting is a great idea. We were golfing on Tigers Eye this past June with a guy who was renting a home in Ocean Ridge while his home was being built. He said it was great, he got to be part of the community, watch the construction of his home and didn't have to rent a storage unit for his stuff.

There are homes for rent long term (6+ months) in ORP. I think the sales staff know of these rentals cuz I can not find any on line. We also golfed w/ another guy whose home had just been completed and he's not moving in for 8 more years.

I am sure SJP has the same, plus you have the option of renting the condos at SJP.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,334,169 times
Quote:
[color=magenta]Just received the Ocean Ridge Plantation Newsletter - there are 30 homes under construction currently? Things seem like they are really picking up! Anyone else feel this way?? We just purchased our lot and I have a feeling we really lucked out and got a good lot at the rock bottom price. Let's hope that better stores and other amenities are coming to this area now[/COLOR], too!
This recent article indicates that there is some commercial developer interest in the area too
Ocean Ridge Plantation | Retirement and Second Home Blog | Southern Way of Life

Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 12,088 times
You can get a great informational package and the newsletter right from the site homesforsaleoceanridge.com. According to the package they send out, things are really heating up there and there are a lot of future expansion plans coming.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM

897 posts, read 1,521,768 times
Is this the same community that has delays on the new golf course coming up and trouble with the local government on infrastructure issues? Best settle current issues before talking about future expansion.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM

562 posts, read 932,124 times
Hi gang - Just attended the "Brunswick County Parade of Homes" tour a few weeks ago - saw 20 of the 52 homes being built/are for sale/now in the area between Wilmington and Calabash. Highly recommend you going to this tour. It's held twice a year - Spring and Fall. Get on that website and see some of the floor plans. Thinking more like 3-4 years now. Getting tired of this commute to work!!! Get out of Jersey Nancy !!! missynancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina