U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM

25 posts, read 43,556 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating to Winterville from Texas. Tell me anything about the place. What's the community like? Do people know their neighbors, or stick to themselves? Anything helps, Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy3 View Post
Considering relocating to Winterville from Texas.
If you have a job in Greenville, it is a good suburb to live in. It is a far more prosperous place than Farmville.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,388 times
Happy3--GA is correct about have employment first before moving to Winterville. We moved here from the N.E. 10 yrs. ago and have been very happy.

It is important to do your research first. When we closed on our home, it had just been annexed so we pay both City and County Taxes, but it still isn't near what we paid when we lived in the North. We live in a sub-division called Manchester. There are quite a few homes between 1600-2400 sf. that are available now at very reasonable prices. We have a lot of people that work either at the Colleges (Pitt CC & ECU) & Vidant Hospital. We live between the HS and Grammar schools. If you are unfamiliar with the area you might want to rent for awhile before deciding if you want to buy.

People are very friendly here and there are dogs aplenty. If you are an animal lover, this would be a great place for you to relocate. Everything you need is within a 5 mi. radius and the area is still growing. Winterville is a quite area and you are within 5-10 mins. to Greenville for shopping etc.

You questions are welcomed to make your transition as stress free as possible. Good luck to you. kelsie

Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Kelsie,

Thank you so much for the information. I like to hear that the people are friendly and the dogs :-). Manchester actually sounds like a great place to live, and I have looked at it before. We will find out for sure within a week or two if we got the job and will be moving. I have narrowed it down to Winterville or Farmville, I think ;-). We consider Farmville because we like older, more mature communities and it seems like Winterville is newer. Newer subdivisions, etc. Do you see this as accurate? Are there older yet nice and safe subdivisions in Winterville?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 PM

One other thing. I don't know if you have children, or if you know someone, but I would be interested in finding out about church preschools. There are programs called Mothers Day Out, MDO. usually 2 or 3 days a week, 1/2 days. Do you have any information about these programs?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,037,432 times
Quote:
We consider Farmville because we like older, more mature communities and it seems like Winterville is newer. Newer subdivisions, etc. Do you see this as accurate? Are there older yet nice and safe subdivisions in Winterville?
For the most part, the older subdivisions in Eastern Carolina have not seen the renaissance that they have in a lot of other places. There is so much available land that it is cheaper just to build new homes. The older subdivisions tend to be run down and often in need of a lot of work. There also tends to be a lot of rentals and not that there's anything wrong with renting, those types of folks often don't care.

I second the rent first thought. The truth is that you often cannot tell the true character and nature of a subdivision just by looking at it. It may look perfect but after a few weeks or months, the true character of the neighborhood comes out. If you buy a home and then decide you don't like the neighborhood, it will cost you thousands to sell that home and find another one. Been there, done that here in Greenville.

Our first home looked perfect. I won't go into details but in just a very short amount of time we found out that our dream home was in fact, anything but. We moved and we're much happier now.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 AM

Thanks so much Richard. Exactly the info I was looking for about the older neighborhoods. Guess maybe we'll have to build a more "vintage" home. ha! So if we consider renting first, any suggestions? I saw a place called The Pointe at Wimbledon off Fire Tower and Arlington, looks nice. Any other nicer rentals? Safety would be our goal when renting.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
We consider Farmville because we like older, more mature communities and it seems like Winterville is newer.
It's just an impression, but Farmville seems like the kind of traditional ENC community that people would be happy in only if they had lived there their whole lives, gone to the same churches and schools, etc. They would socialize mainly with their families and church friends. Farmville is mature, but it is tired and the population is poor. The schools rank in the 3 or 4 range out of 10. Some of those gorgeous old homes have been on the market for years.

I think it would be easier for a newcomer to fit in the a newer suburb like Winterville.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-08-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,037,733 times
Quote:
Thanks so much Richard. Exactly the info I was looking for about the older neighborhoods. Guess maybe we'll have to build a more "vintage" home. ha! So if we consider renting first, any suggestions? I saw a place called The Pointe at Wimbledon off Fire Tower and Arlington, looks nice. Any other nicer rentals? Safety would be our goal when renting.
The Pointe is one of the nicest rentals. Great location on an under-developed street. Not too much traffic, but be alert for the occasional speeder using the street as a supposed shortcut. (I'm speaking of Wimbeldon Drive, not through the complex itself - there's no through traffic in the complex.) Other nearby rental possibilities are Breezewood condos, Turtle Creek condos, and Tara condos. These are all privately owned, not run by one company, so check Craigslist, etc. for these places. Forbes Woods is also in this same area. It isn't bad, but it's probably not for you.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,037,733 times
Also Locksley Woods condos on 14th St. are really nice - also privately owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina