U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM

50 posts, read 92,998 times

Advertisements

Thank you posters, (especially the last three). This gives me much to think about and do further research. Heading to the Salter Path in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
In short, there are almost no developments that are exclusively 55+ but there are several developments that cater to 55+ and retirees. There are even neighborhoods/communities that do. With it being an unfamiliar concept to me, I wonder, assisted living aside, what is the purpose or benefit of a 55+ development? I'm genuinely curious if the OP and/or anybody else would like to respond.
Benefits-NO KIDS & no younger people partying all the time!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM

20 posts, read 34,703 times
Agree with you re the medical situation. Oriental unfortunately is in the throes of making choices re whether to keep things the way they were years ago a quiet place with a Bohemian way of life catering to sailboats venturing North or South and to those folks that enjoy the southern charm. Unfortunately developers had other plans as was demonstrated a few years ago with proposed building of private communities geared towards those that could well afford possibly a second home or a place to eventually retire. The developers have come and gone with little to show. People who invested in properties were left holding the bag and are hard put to sell in todays market. Add to this the Walmarts fiasco or the riparian struggle that suggest there is a vibrantcy occurring where newer ideas are coming forth to improve Oriental making it a more desirable community

Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,752,356 times
Many of these comments about lack of this or lack of that are quite amusing. No place is perfect, you cannot expect the quiet coastal life, and all the amenities of NYC. SO many malcontents, post just that. There are plenty of great restaurants down on or near the coast, but if gourmet dining is your deal, you need to relocate where there is gourmet dining, and again, the more quiet and cozy you want it, the less "cool" stuff to do you will find. I hate to be real smart, but that is why it is quiet and cozy, because there IS nothing to do.

Some of these people kill me. If you live in the sticks, there is not gonna be a great hospital down the street...its the sticks!

I think many people looking to move here are incredibly unrealistic, bordering on stupid. The "low property tax" red flag goes up, and here they come, expecting everything good from where they lived and none of the bad. Moving to NC for less property tax is not very smart.

Finally, there is no question about homeowners, wind hail, and flood insurance. It is going to keep going up, up, and up. With every new house, new development, new anything, insurers' risk go up, and when that happens, premiums go up.

Good luck, there are a lot of nice places to live on or near the NC coast. Unfortunately, no place is perfect, or "has it all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina