U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM

50 posts, read 92,731 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any information on any 55+ communities "close" to the coast other than the Villages at Swansboro? We have had our eye on that community and were finally going to ask to see ones for sale this October, but when in NC and driving around, we do not see any other communities like it. Any info is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach50 View Post
Can anyone give me any information on any 55+ communities "close" to the coast other than the Villages at Swansboro? We have had our eye on that community and were finally going to ask to see ones for sale this October, but when in NC and driving around, we do not see any other communities like it. Any info is very much appreciated.
There are no 55+ communities in Eastern North Carolina, except for the VatS. There are plenty of golf resorts, plantations, marina communities, but they are open to all ages. Many of them have predominantly retired people. See this related thread: Active Adult Communtities near Beaufort, NC

What are you actually looking for? What is your price range and location preference?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:56 PM

We want to first and foremost, head south and leave Ohio forever. Scaling back to a smaller square footage will be the way of retirement. Our hearts are in the Crystal Coast area and the proximity of Swansboro to the beach was a plus. The 2-car garage will give DH a workbench area and keep him from driving me crazy. LOL In a nutshell, this boomer wants a simple lifestyle, likes an "artsy" community and the privacy of a single-home dwelling appeals to us as opposed to a condo unit.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach50 View Post
Our hearts are in the Crystal Coast area and the proximity of Swansboro to the beach was a plus. The 2-car garage will give DH a workbench area and keep him from driving me crazy. LOL In a nutshell, this boomer wants a simple lifestyle, likes an "artsy" community and the privacy of a single-home dwelling appeals to us as opposed to a condo unit.
I think Swansboro will be an excellent choice for you. It has a bit of the "artsy" community feel. The Villages seems to be well organized and small enough to be friendly.

I had not heard of The Villages at Swansboro before, to be honest. We live are retired in Sneads Ferry, living in an all-ages community. Swansboro and the Crystal Coast have so many young military families that the developers have not put much emphasis on building 55+ communities. We have retired friends living in Morehead City and Emerald Isle, where they enjoy the golf and boating amenities.

One thing you should realize is that Swansboro is near the Camp Lejeune Marine base. At times you will hear heavy artillery firing, and helicopters flying around. They sometimes conduct these exercises late at night, making it hard to sleep. I do not know how much noise you would hear at The Villages. The other issue you should be clear about is the condominium fees.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-09-2013 at 07:56 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
There is no shortage of +55 year olds in New Bern.

Thursday is senior day at the Harris Teeter. Seniors get 5% off or something. I have suggested to management many times that non-seniors should get 20% off on that day.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 AM

196 posts, read 499,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Thursday is senior day at the Harris Teeter. Seniors get 5% off or something.
I'm not old enough.......

Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 AM

Just remembered there is a Jensens Mobile Home Park in Hampstead which is age-restricted. Homes sell for $75K-150K, but there is a hefty ground rent.

There are plenty of developments in the coastal area which are suitable for retirement, they are just not legally age-restricted. So you could end up living next to a family with kids.

If age-restriction is important to you, there are plenty of 55+ communities in Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,816,700 times
In short, there are almost no developments that are exclusively 55+ but there are several developments that cater to 55+ and retirees. There are even neighborhoods/communities that do. With it being an unfamiliar concept to me, I wonder, assisted living aside, what is the purpose or benefit of a 55+ development? I'm genuinely curious if the OP and/or anybody else would like to respond.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 AM

Thank you for responses. DH and I are definitely not assisted living material, but rather like the concept of the Villages at Swansboro, where you have to be 55+ to purchase and maintenance and the grounds are taken care for you. Appealing since we have had enough of lawn cutting and snow blowing (in Ohio) and although love to keep our house looking great, see the prospect of not doing it rather liberating. No offense to any young family person here, but to live in a more adult community sounds good to us. Responses indicate not much more to choose from near the Crystal Coast and that was just the info I was looking for. We didn't want to miss out if there was something to check out.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
With it being an unfamiliar concept to me, I wonder, assisted living aside, what is the purpose or benefit of a 55+ development?
Again, no offense to families with children, I would love to be able to enjoy the outdoor pool without having to dodge children splashing and playing. The other advantage is the idea of "instant friends" from a community of people with like experiences.

However, we settled in an all-ages communities (Mimosa Bay) because the house offered the best value in a very attractive community with the right amount of amenities. DH has bought a riding lawn mower, and he enjoys doing the house maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina