U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM

84 posts, read 144,393 times

Advertisements

I think what cmtleo is referring to is the upswing in gun violence in Wilmington this summer...much of it apparently gang-related.

Wilmington police chief update on Cease Fire initiative | StarNewsOnline.com

Editorial - Keeping gangs out of parks could be constitutional tightrope | StarNewsOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgirl View Post
I think what cmtleo is referring to is the upswing in gun violence in Wilmington this summer...much of it apparently gang-related.

Wilmington police chief update on Cease Fire initiative | StarNewsOnline.com

Editorial - Keeping gangs out of parks could be constitutional tightrope | StarNewsOnline.com
Maybe the problem is the definition of downtown...I made some references to the Historic District, Carolina Place and Carolina Heights...I only consider the Historic District downtown and the business riverfront downtown. The violence cited is mostly in the same problematic neighborhoods...and not in the neighborhoods of Carolina Place and Carolina Heights.

Many folks generalize the "older" section of Wilmington as being all downtown. That's not true, there are a number of neighborhoods in the old section of Wilmington and most crime is localized to a few particular neighborhoods.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM

519 posts, read 738,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Are you saying the gangs in Wilmington have made it too unsafe to even go downtown and enjoy the place? How long has this been going on and is the police force doing anything to combat the crime? Would it be unsafe for an older person to visit Wilmington alone and walk around? Opinions please.
The gang problem has escalated the last couple years(we have been living here ten years in October). I have been saying for years that the crime here is way too high for it's size. Yes,the police and several churches have joined forces to try and get the gangs and their guns off the streets. They just had a buy back for guns program this past Saturday hoping that would help. According to the latest report I heard on the news,the problem had improved until the judge let one of the top gang leaders out of jail and it got worse again. I don't feel like it is unsafe to go downtown in the daytime alone,but I would not go at night anywhere down town. According to what I've heard,that's when it's at it's worst. There's a hair stylist at the hair salon I go to whose Father is a cop and knows first hand how bad it is and requested she not go downtown at night. When we first moved here,I took the grandkids downtown at night by myself,but I definitely would not do it now. My husband want even go down there at night.
If you want to keep up with the crime,etc. just read The Star News or crime reports on computer.

Last edited by Lover of Animals; 08-27-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM

84 posts, read 144,393 times
I agree with HP91 that Carolina Heights and Carolina Place aren't the neighborhoods where these problematic events occur. Some of the high-profile crimes that have occurred downtown over the past year are very troublesome, however. I'm thinking of the murder of student Joshua Proutey last December, and the shooting of the guy who was leaving the Rx restaurant on Castle Street last November when he tried to stop the armed robbery of a couple at the corner of 6th and Castle last November. It's not as if either crime happened in the wee hours of the morning.

Death penalty sought in killing of CFCC student | StarNewsOnline.com

Man shot while trying to stop armed robbery suspects - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
The gang problem has escalated the last couple years(we have been living here ten years in October). I have been saying for years that the crime here is way too high for it's size. Yes,the police and several churches have joined forces to try and get the gangs and their guns off the streets. They just had a buy back for guns program this past Saturday hoping that would help. According to the latest report I heard on the news,the problem had improved until the judge let one of the top gang leaders out of jail and it got worse again. I don't feel like it is unsafe to go downtown in the daytime alone,but I would not go at night anywhere down town. According to what I've heard,that's when it's at it's worst. There's a hair stylist at the hair salon I go to whose Father is a cop and knows first hand how bad it is and requested she not go downtown at night. When we first moved here,I took the grandkids downtown at night by myself,but I definitely would not do it now. My husband want even go down there at night.
If you want to keep up with the crime,etc. just read The Star News or crime reports on computer.
The crime rate in Wilmington has ALWAYS been too high...its not a new problem. There are certain neighborhoods that have higher crime. The same situation exists in Charleston SC...because there are fundamental flaws with some neighborhood make-ups.

However, the downtown area is as safe as ever...the incident that happened at the Community Arts Center just happened to be downtown (if you read the report). The North end has seen a drastic improvement over the last 20 years in crime from what it was. And Castle St has improved greatly. That being said, its still too high.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Are you saying the gangs in Wilmington have made it too unsafe to even go downtown and enjoy the place? How long has this been going on and is the police force doing anything to combat the crime? Would it be unsafe for an older person to visit Wilmington alone and walk around? Opinions please.
the center of downtown is safe. The periphery of downtown is not.

From a tourist perspective, if you stick to the areas with pedestrian traffic, and you aren't hanging out in bars at 3 AM, yeah things are safe.

The gangs are an issue, but it is complicated. If you want to live downtown, gangs and ghettos are a big problem because they are spread all throughout the downtown area. However if you just want to visit the central part of downtown, gangs are unlikely to be a problem.

Last edited by le roi; 08-28-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Maybe the problem is the definition of downtown...I made some references to the Historic District, Carolina Place and Carolina Heights...I only consider the Historic District downtown and the business riverfront downtown. The violence cited is mostly in the same problematic neighborhoods...and not in the neighborhoods of Carolina Place and Carolina Heights.

Many folks generalize the "older" section of Wilmington as being all downtown. That's not true, there are a number of neighborhoods in the old section of Wilmington and most crime is localized to a few particular neighborhoods.
i agree that the issue is complicated by the fact that nobody can agree where "downtown" begins and ends.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/assets/pdf/WM27678815.PDF

^ this is a map including both the national register and the historic districts. As you can see, much of the northern downtown riverfront isn't even a "historic district" in the first place ... and much of the "Historic district" covers run-down areas that are high-crime (McRae Street), as well as areas that are a good ways from the riverfront (Carolina Heights).

There is no "official" downtown, but if you ask me , burnt mill creek is an important dividing line.

Last edited by le roi; 08-28-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i agree that the issue is complicated by the fact that nobody can agree where "downtown" begins and ends.
So what is the purple area between 14th and 20th, and north of Market Street? Is that Carolina Heights?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Right now we live in a very convenient area close in to downtown Charlotte. Our area (Plaza Midwood) is considered an "artsy" part of town with unique shops, restaurants and older homes built in 1920-1940 era. We wanted to find out what areas in Wilmington might best fit this description?

We don't want to spend a fortune on a house so 185-250K would be our budget. Safer areas are preferred (not the ghetto, but also does not have to be Mayberry either).

The basic problem you're going to have is this :

Nearly all the commercial properties downtown (that is, west of 23rd street) that you can walk to are located within 2 blocks of the river.

Nearly all the residential properties that are a close, safe walk to this commercial area, are expensive mansions, or subdivided multi-unit properties.

You can choose to live on the historic periphery of downtown, like Carolina Heights or Carolina Place, but you'll be in a neighborhood where you still have to drive to get anywhere. IMO those neighborhoods are indeed "pretty," and they attract out-of-town buyers looking for "pretty houses," but they are still 100+ year-old houses in not-very-walkable neighborhoods that are close to the ghetto.

Quote:
1) How is the job market for someone with a degree and an array of experience from import/export logistics to construction?
I'd describe it as: "heavily subject to macroeconomic forces beyond your control."

Quote:
2) How easy is it to meet new friends?
very easy.

meeting friends that actually settle down here is another matter.

Quote:
3) Are our housing requirements a realistic expectation?
i'm not sure, but i don't think so.

i think what you're looking for exists, it is just that it is very scarce, and in high demand. Like: maybe there are a dozen properties that fit your criteria , they sit between Front St. and 4th St, and they aren't for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
So what is the purple area between 14th and 20th, and north of Market Street? Is that Carolina Heights?
yep.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM

194 posts, read 368,098 times
Hey! I live in Charlotte to and visit Wilmington/Carolina Beach often because my parents live there. We considered moving there but could not find employment...this was 3 years ago and we didn't look to hard to be honest With that being said I think you would really like it there! Wilmington is a great place to live and the downtown is not scary at all. I have been many times and have never felt threatened and I am a female in my early 30's. I have taken my baby girl down there for walks along the river and to restaurants and have never been scared Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina