U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM

14 posts, read 46,737 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are from a larger city in Upstate South Carolina called Greenville. We're looking for a coastal community that's affordable and safe. We recently took a trip to Wilmington, and I think our expectations were a little too high from the internet. We walked away feeling a little disappointed, and unsure of where to look next.

I happened up a little town called Edenton on a real estate site, and I fell in love immediately. I'm a sucker for an old house, and my husband is content with anything that's been updated with modern conveniences. However, after reading a few reviews on the town, I'm a little concerned. The crime rate is admittedly horrible, but my city doesn't look too good on paper. Although, I've never had a negative experience while living here. What I also find disconcerting is the repeated mention of a "clannish" attitude. Such as, outsiders are not welcome? I'm a Southerner, and so is my husband. I've yet to meet a person who wasn't welcoming. So, I'm not sure what to make of that.

I read about the bad economy in the area, but my husband works in social media. So, his agency is based out of Boston, and we wouldn't have to depend on a good job market to survive. However, I'm graduating from college in a year, and I wouldn't really feel fulfilled not working. I'm a human services professional (a generalist social worker of sorts) and most of my career opportunities would be in a government agency, hospital, children's home, rape/crisis center, or shelter. So, if there's a "you're not one of us attitude" I may not be able to find a place to enter my field. That's a bit worrisome.

Basically, I would like to have any all information someone can give me about Edenton or another coastal town that may be of interest. Since this would be our first house, we have a budget around $100,000 - $150,000. We could probably do more for the right area, but that's where I'd feel most comfortable. I don't want to be more than an hour or so away from a beach. The area also needs to be safe. We plan to start a family in a few years, and my husband travels for work while I am usually at home alone.

I'm open to pretty much any area that keeps with those few prerequisites. Anything you're willing to share is golden. Also, if anyone is interested in Upstate SC I'm willing to return the favor. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStarsRust View Post
Basically, I would like to have any all information someone can give me about Edenton or another coastal town that may be of interest. Since this would be our first house, we have a budget around $100,000 - $150,000.
I don't think two young people ought to commit to Edenton. I'd suggest instead, looking at Swansboro, Sneads Ferry or Beaufort. Most of these areas are full of transients from the military, and I have found everyone welcoming. Your budget would get you a townhouse or small ranch. There are job opportunities in Jacksonville or Morehead City. Or live closer to Wilmington in an area like Surf City or Holly Ridge.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
What did you not like about Wilmington, what do you like about Edenton. What exactly are you looking fir besides old homes and being close to the ocean? I'm not clear on this so can't fully answer your question. I assume you want smaller so Charleston, SC is out of the question. Have you considered low country areas like Port Royal? In NC, assuming you want a small town, I'd add New Bern (where they are filming Sleepy Hollow) and Burgaw (where they are filming Under the Dome) to the suggestions.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
Hi Ziggy. If you were disappointed by Wilmington than Edenton will be no better. I used to live in Edenton (7 years ago) and was ready to leave. Don't be fooled by the waterfront pics that are shown on the Internet as the majority of Edenton does not resemble that. It's a quiet town BUT few activities to do.

Pros about Edenton:
Quiet
Walking around waterfront
Rural

Cons about Edenton
No recreational activities
Crime/gang issues
School system...great teachers but dealing with troubled youth (gang problems) that school leaders try to hide
People...most appear to be "stuck" there. Poverty was VERY evident while I was there.
Few jobs

If you haven't read this thread about Edenton, it will be worth your time. It's a realistic view of what the area is like.
Edenton

Hope this helps

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,649,900 times
I would not recommend moving to Edenton. That is a depressed area. Wilmington will be your best bet but you weren't impressed with it? But didn't mention why? You might want to look into Beaufort as well. It's a much smaller town which offers the nearby amenities of Morehead City.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. A common question is why I didn't like Wilmington. So, I'll start with that. We visited just last weekend to take a look around. I like the older homes on the numbered streets near the river walk. However, some of the sections on those streets looked a little sketchy. Also, we read online about how the taxes are insanely high, and something regarding severely corrupt government in the area. I take everything with a grain of salt, but it's enough to give me doubts.

The proximity to Wrightsville Beach was a huge seller. The only thing I didn't like about it was the amount of people hanging out there at 10am. I enjoy the ocean because it's one of the few ways I can really decompress outside of hiking. I can't really enjoy nature with children screaming and tossing sand at my legs as I walk by. I didn't really expect every single parking area to be paid, either.

What I like about Edenton is the impression of an old coastal town. I'm sure that's not reality, but the old waterfront homes are pretty tempting.

I think what I'm looking for is a small town within a hour or so from the city or ocean. Most of my career opportunities will be located in major urban areas, but I really need a less chaotic environment to escape to when my work day is over. I'm not sure how realistic that goal is. I'm not naive, and I know Mayberry doesn't exist outside of black and white. However, I'd really enjoy something a little older and calmer.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll look into the places you've mentioned.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
I'm not going to be so hard on Edenton because I think it is actually a pretty good place to live...and there are things to do there. They have their own summer league baseball team, an actual downtown Main St, great historic district, waterfront...and if you like boating a pristine sound with virtually no boat traffic.

It does have some crime areas (as does virtually every place in the South), but its biggest problem is its pretty isolated. its over an hour drive to Greenville or Tidewater or the beaches...so you kind of have to want to be there.

The biggest obstacle I see is the 100K-150K budget. I'm betting you didn't like what you could get in Wilmington for that price, which led you to a more isolated place like Edenton. The reality is that the prices along the coast are higher. Had a friend whose parents sold their house recently in Greensboro and he went there and couldnt believe the low cost of housing as compared to Wilmington. My response obviously was "who WANTS to live in Greensboro".

If I were you I'd revisit Wilmington if your husband travels and you are planning on staying home and starting a family. I'll give you a few suggestions in your price range in good school districts....

10 Pickett Dr, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

This one is in the Pine Valley area...a little more than your price range, but you can talk them down in this area...I know a local family that just bought a house listed at $199K for $175K...

4181 Abbington Ter, Wilmington, NC 28403 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Abbington Terrace is all about the location...small lots but the neighborhood is good and extremely convenient.

1110 Yardley Ln, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Carriage Hills was built in the early 90's...easy access to Halyburton Park, fairly quiet neighborhood.

Consider the Lincoln Forest neighborhood...as well as look in Ogden...for that price you have to be choosy but there are good deals in Wilmington.

Consider looking into Southport and Burgaw as well, but there will be less folks your age there and the schools can be spotty.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Actually, the houses I loved the most were in Wilmington, and were completely within our price range. Real estate in Greenville, SC is pretty high, and so is rent. It's fairly spot on if you don't consider the taxes in the area. I honestly haven't run into any financial shock when dealing with coastal North Carolina. If anything, I've been pleasantly surprised. My biggest fear is the crime rate and reviews from residents. Thank you for your area suggestions. I'll be sure to look into those locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina