U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:33 PM

10,691 posts, read 11,314,797 times

Advertisements

I think you might like Durham.

Quote:
We like old houses with character, being in walking distance of unique shops, cafes & bookstores, parks, we like nature (the woods more than the beach), health food co-ops, yoga studios, outdoor concerts/live music, wineries.
It's got all that — more breweries than wineries, but there are some wineries not far away. Chapel Hill/Carrboro could be a good fit, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
These places are for you:

Charleston, SC
Asheville, NC
Charleston-absolutely. A beach city with a great arts scene and solid local economy. That would be my first suggestion.

Asheville-no. The OP will run into even worse issues regarding the job market and pay.

As far as other cities in NC with sort of the "cool, hip" factor and good-paying jobs, I'd recommend Winston-Salem or Durham.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston-absolutely. A beach city with a great arts scene and solid local economy. That would be my first suggestion.

Asheville-no. The OP will run into even worse issues regarding the job market and pay.

As far as other cities in NC with sort of the "cool, hip" factor and good-paying jobs, I'd recommend Winston-Salem or Durham.
Just to note...the beaches aren't as good in the Charleston area as the Wilmington area....but the Historic and Arts scene's are better.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinthecity View Post
We thought there was a lot to like about Wilmington, but we're finding that it's not a great fit for us.
We're a young, crunchy, travelled couple from NY with a young child and a dog. We have degrees and are finding the job market/pay here to be outrageously bad. Is there even a middle class here?
As a middle class Wilmingtonian --

yes, we exist. yes, the job market is outrageously bad. when i first moved here i was told that we get paid in "beach bucks and sunshine dollars."

Quote:
We meet a lot of young professionals/families struggling, students, retirees.. Then there's the segregated upper class.
100% Correct.

This is just how Wilmington is. There is a ton of wealth, but very little income.

My beef with all of it, is how it's basically one big land aristocracy. People don't work their way up the ladder here , because there is no ladder. Assuming you're in the pre-retirement life stage -- well, it's all about who you know and what you inherited.

A productive meritocracy is really struggling to grow here because motivated people can see that there isn't really an economic ladder to climb in Wilmington. People trying to make better lives for themselves financially will move to Raleigh. Wilmington collects the drifters and the drunks.

Quote:
The part about this city that we're having the hardest time with is the complete and utter flakiness of 90% of everyone we meet and every business we deal with. Is it because this is a beach town?
Pretty much.

I've been here... uh.. 7 years? I've made friends, seen them leave, made new friends, seen them leave.. it's a cycle. Every transplant you meet moves away eventually. It's a very transient place.

The "cliques" are based primarily on schooling ... (A) People who went to high school in Wilmington, (B) People who went to UNCW and stayed in Wilmington, and (C) People who went to NCSU/ECU/UNC and hang out with fellow alumni.

Quote:
We've started looking for employment in other cities, like Raleigh and Charlotte. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are we in the wrong part of Wilmington (northern)?
Wilmington breaks into a few categories
(A) The resort areas / rich people areas. High traffic, high cost, but you have the water nearby.

(B) Downtown. High crime, high cost, but you have that historic/quaint/walkable atmosphere.

(C) The housing developments. All the fun of a Raleigh suburb, all the costs of living at the beach, with the wages of a southern backwater.

Last edited by le roi; 08-22-2013 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty989 View Post
Goodgrief, why did you all move here if its so miserable? Perhaps a return trip up 95 North would be your best plan, I think the locals can survive without a few unhappy folks.
personally, i moved here because i hoped it would be like charleston. i was very disappointed in that sense, but i've made the best of my time here.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,847,946 times
It's weird that nobody has told you about Durham, as Durham is your perfect fit (except no beach). People think Durham is high crime but it's no worse than Wilmington and IMO Wilmington is worse crime-wise. Chapel Hill would be great for you too, but more expensive, and I think you'd like Durham just as much (you can live on the west side of Durham as I do and be equidistant to downtown Chapel Hill and downtown Durham... win)

Carrboro is great - expensive.
Pittsboro is a small town that is becoming beloved for folks who like Chapel Hill, however, Preston is planning a large mixed-use development that will basically destroy the town as it is now.
Asheville is terrific too.
Definitely check out Durham, especially since you're from NY - ignore the shouts of high crime; it's absurd. There's crime but mainly in certain areas, just as in Wilmington you want to avoid 30th and Princess Place. Right now to me Durham's biggest problem is that the hipsters have gone from being farm to fork foodies to sneering Williamsburg hipsters. But it's not widespread yet.

There are a lot of threads in the Triangle forum.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 AM

19 posts, read 29,426 times
Thanks everyone! We've found many more (and better) job opportunities in the Triangle area and will be checking it out this weekend.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 29,426 times
(For instance: While office management positions here are offering $10-$12/hour.. A plethora of typical minimum wage-type jobs that don't require a degree or experience are paying that in Raleigh. Office management positions in Raleigh are offering $50k+.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina