U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
 
19 posts, read 29,411 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

We thought there was a lot to like about Wilmington, but we're finding that it's not a great fit for us.
We're a young, crunchy, travelled couple from NY with a young child and a dog. We have degrees and are finding the job market/pay here to be outrageously bad. Is there even a middle class here? We meet a lot of young professionals/families struggling, students, retirees.. Then there's the segregated upper class. We like old houses with character, being in walking distance of unique shops, cafes & bookstores, parks, we like nature (the woods more than the beach), health food co-ops, yoga studios, outdoor concerts/live music, wineries. We like Port City Community Church, besides that it's so large it's hard to tap in. We also like The Children's Museum, zoo, aquarium, parks, play centers, beach boardwalk, and other activities here for young children.
The part about this city that we're having the hardest time with is the complete and utter flakiness of 90% of everyone we meet and every business we deal with. Is it because this is a beach town?
We've started looking for employment in other cities, like Raleigh and Charlotte. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are we in the wrong part of Wilmington (northern)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinthecity View Post
We've started looking for employment in other cities, like Raleigh and Charlotte. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are we in the wrong part of Wilmington (northern)?
I think you will find more employment opportunities in the Triangle. I also think you will fit in better in Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Hillsborough.

It is interesting that you find 90% of the people in Wilmington are flaky. I haven't found this so, but others have said that Wilmington attracts "under-achievers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,356,116 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinthecity View Post
We thought there was a lot to like about Wilmington, but we're finding that it's not a great fit for us.
We're a young, crunchy, travelled couple from NY with a young child and a dog. We have degrees and are finding the job market/pay here to be outrageously bad. Is there even a middle class here? We meet a lot of young professionals/families struggling, students, retirees.. Then there's the segregated upper class. We like old houses with character, being in walking distance of unique shops, cafes & bookstores, parks, we like nature (the woods more than the beach), health food co-ops, yoga studios, outdoor concerts/live music, wineries. We like Port City Community Church, besides that it's so large it's hard to tap in. We also like The Children's Museum, zoo, aquarium, parks, play centers, beach boardwalk, and other activities here for young children.
The part about this city that we're having the hardest time with is the complete and utter flakiness of 90% of everyone we meet and every business we deal with. Is it because this is a beach town?
We've started looking for employment in other cities, like Raleigh and Charlotte. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are we in the wrong part of Wilmington (northern)?
IMO, yes.

The mid-town area (south of UNCW, north of Monkey Junction) is more of the locals/long timers and more of the professionals. I think you have been hanging around a lot of the newbie's coming into town.

But you are not the first from the North that has complained about the pay in NC. We get a lot of that. You have to understand that Wilmington is an emerging market. Its a small market. How small? Its half the size of the Syracuse market.

You can move away from Wilmington, but you will be moving away from the coast, and the entertainment that provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
 
1,672 posts, read 2,039,033 times
Reputation: 1074
These places are for you:

Charleston, SC
Asheville, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: NC
1,985 posts, read 2,650,733 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinthecity View Post
We thought there was a lot to like about Wilmington, but we're finding that it's not a great fit for us.
We're a young, crunchy, travelled couple from NY with a young child and a dog. We have degrees and are finding the job market/pay here to be outrageously bad. Is there even a middle class here? We meet a lot of young professionals/families struggling, students, retirees.. Then there's the segregated upper class. We like old houses with character, being in walking distance of unique shops, cafes & bookstores, parks, we like nature (the woods more than the beach), health food co-ops, yoga studios, outdoor concerts/live music, wineries. We like Port City Community Church, besides that it's so large it's hard to tap in. We also like The Children's Museum, zoo, aquarium, parks, play centers, beach boardwalk, and other activities here for young children.
The part about this city that we're having the hardest time with is the complete and utter flakiness of 90% of everyone we meet and every business we deal with. Is it because this is a beach town?
We've started looking for employment in other cities, like Raleigh and Charlotte. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are we in the wrong part of Wilmington (northern)?
Asheville comes to mind but you'll have the same issues you have with Wilmington including the smaller pay, high COL, lack of certain amenities, tourists, etc. Your best bet will be Carrboro or Chapel Hill.

Last edited by escapenc; 08-16-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 AM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Reputation: 6451
I lived at the coast for a couple of years. Now I live near the coast.
The first day I was there, a neighbor, very intelligent lady, a DUKE grad, gave me some advice. Here is is, too late for you, but it will help explain.

There are two kinds of folks at the coast. Winners and Losers. The coast attracts a lot of losers. They have had nothing their entire life, they never will. But, they remember their childhood trip to the beach. It was wonderful. They, as adults, flock to the coast, trying to once again to achieve that wonderful feeling, their one good memory in life, but....it ain't gonna happen. (Note she did not say middle class, for us, it was a struggle)

I know jobs are a big issue, but there is so much more to NC than Wilmington, triangle, triad, Charlotte and Asheville. Be a big fish in a small pond. You might like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
There are two kinds of folks at the coast. Winners and Losers.
I will chip in that the Winners in Wilmington are either old, established families, business professionals or doctors. There isn't much of a tech industry to support the high-paid middle class jobs I am used to in the Washington, DC area. I think you need some local edge or connections to find a decent middle-class job in Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Leland, NC
27 posts, read 64,057 times
Reputation: 35
Goodgrief, why did you all move here if its so miserable? Perhaps a return trip up 95 North would be your best plan, I think the locals can survive without a few unhappy folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM
 
Location: NC
1,985 posts, read 2,650,733 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I will chip in that the Winners in Wilmington are either old, established families, business professionals or doctors. There isn't much of a tech industry to support the high-paid middle class jobs I am used to in the Washington, DC area. I think you need some local edge or connections to find a decent middle-class job in Wilmington.
That could be said for all of Eastern NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,819,482 times
Reputation: 2068
Middle class jobs in ENC are all government GS workers and contractors (which is the reason Onslow and Carteret COunty have the lowest unemployment on the coast with the exception of the Norfolk area NC counties, which has an even larger federal jobs/employee presence)or all blue collar workers with expertise that service the upper class (i.e. mechanics, construction, electricians, H.V.A.C>, etc.). Wilmington does have the lowest unemployment on the coast outside of the military/federal influenced counties but that is not a high bar. It's lower employment is due to the medical jobs servicing all of those retirees and such. Note that it's unemployment rate is equal to that of Pitt County/Greenville, of which the medical field is also the top employer.
N.C. county-by-county unemployment rates :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top