Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info such as outside activities,Rental Price Range and Job Market Please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynjil Miller View Post
Can anyone give me any info such as outside activities,Rental Price Range and Job Market Please
Is Small Mills a town, neighborhood, or what? It doesn't show up on Google maps. Do you mean Hope Mills?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
There is a South Mills? Camden Co, not far from the VA border.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,480 times
yes South Mills Camden Co

Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynjil Miller View Post
yes South Mills Camden Co
Well, it has 2300 people, and the town is 4 blocks long and 3 blocks wide. The I-17 interstate bypasses it, and I don't see much for businesses except a gas station, a convenience store and some farmland. There are a couple of houses for rent at $900/month, and I doubt there are any apartments. If you are looking for a job, I think you would probably have to travel to Elizabeth City, NC (about 15 miles) or Chesapeake, VA (about 25 miles).

Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
South Mills is a bit of an interesting place...first off its not incorporated, but it does look like a small town.

There aren't really jobs in South Mills, there is not much commercial at all...in fact Camden County itself has relatively little commercial. It is in fact a bedroom community for both Elizabeth City and the southern Tidewater area. The schools in Camden Co are considered good and prior to the economic downturn the housing market there was booming, although it was more the southern area of Camden (and not South Mills) that received most of the developments. The Southern area (between Camden and Shiloh) has waterfront type developments with nice homes. I believe there is a plan in place for a few planned communities north of South Mills and toward Camden. Hwy 158 is being widened in Camden to 4 lanes which will likely spur some economic development. If the Mid-Currituck bridge ever gets built, it could open up Camden for more development, because the foot of the bridge could be within 15-20 minutes of the 158 stretch of Camden. It would also help E-City IMO, because of reducing the time it takes from Corrolla.

South Mills is only about 10-15 minutes to E-City from South Mills down Highway 17, which can really show that it is just a bedroom community (in a separate county with better schools). It's built along the canal, which has some history to it.

One of the more interesting features about Camden Co is that it is a "Unified" government...I believe the only in the state, which means no towns can incorporate within the county. I believe the idea is that Camden wants to retain its rural character...it doesn't want to be a strip (like Highway 168 in Currituck Co) and wants to preserve its farmland to an extent. Another interesting feature is that Camden Co has no public housing.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times
Camden County is a nice place. Great place to raise a family or retire. Life in the slow lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina