U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 14,390 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I are seriously considering moving our family to NC. We live in IL and want out. Taxes are ridiculous here and it is cold more than half the year. We also live close to Rockford which is spiraling out if control with drugs and shootings. Its scary. We want somewhere warmer and by the beach so we are looking at the Wilmington area. Our children are 3 and 7 so schools are very important to us. I have read that Hampstead has excellent schools so we are thinking of moving there. Are there any other coastal towns you would recommend? We don't have to be right on the beach but I would really like to be within an hour if possible. Also I am a nurse so if anyone has any info on a good hospital to work for I would appreciate it! I am a NICU nurse and love it but I'm open to other areas! We are coming to visit the area in Nov so we plan to check some things out. I can't wait! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM

4,639 posts, read 2,929,373 times
look in raleigh if you plan on having a decent job. it's about an hour and a half from the beach.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,824,138 times
What work does your husband do? For you , you may be able to find work in your field along the coast. Jacksonville, NC is the youngest city in the United States with an average age of 22.8. That is not only due to the number of young Marines, but the number of young children Marines of all ages seem to have (and very close in age). An illustration of this is the fact there are 5 elemtary schools on Camp Lejeune (really 4.5. One school had to be broken into two , K-2 and 3-5, because of the number of students. There is another 20 in Onslow County, and this does not factor the Marines that live in neighboring Carteret and Pender Counties and elsewhere in the region. The school population is drastically smaller when you reach middle and high which reflects the smaller population of the higher ranks who have children who are of middle and high school ages. For instance all of the elementary schools on base feed into one middle school and a high school that is only 1A. Seeing someone pregnant with two in a stroller and one on the hip is a common site. JAcksonville/Camp Lejeune is commutable from Hampstead. Another place with great schools close to the beach is Carteret County, but it is farther from everything else (3 hours to Raleigh, 2 hours to Wilmington). The hospital in New Bern (Craven County) and Morehead CIty (Carteret) also deal with a lot of births, as Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station in Havelock does not have a hospital anymore, just a clinic. Though there is a Naval Hospital on Camp Lejeune, many mothers are still sent to Onslow Memorial out in town due to the sheer volume of expectant mothers that need to be seen. Also most of the employees, nurses especially, are civilians at the Naval Hospital.

Another possible place is Vidant medical center in Greenville. When my daughter was born that's where my wife was rushed to for pre-eclampsia induced labor. It was known as Pitt Memorial at the time.

If you have medical experience outside of neonatal, medical jobs in general is the one field that is always in demand along the coast, due to the only that matches the number of young people are the number of older ones and nurses are necessary to service the large retiree community.

It's no coincidence that the counties with the lowest unemployment on the NC Coast all service the military, and the next lowest follwing them (Pitt [Greenville] and New Hanover [Wilmington]) both have universities and medical centers. Granted teh unemployment is still much lower in the Triangle. Raleigh is 2 hours to the closet beach, not 1.5, by the way. Regardless, before you move anywhere you are your husband should ensure you have a job first. Despite one's views, there are jobs to be had on the coast, the caveat is you must be qualified for them, which many locals aren't. One reason why so many are transferred to or hired from outside the area for employment.
http://www.wral.com/news/state/page/4879060/
In summary, look at places in Craven, Carteret, Pender, and New Hanover Counties as far as being within an hour of the coast and good schools. Onslow County will work in a pinch, it has some great elementary schools and some decent high schools with room for individual excellence, but the schools overall are above average in the counties I've mentioned, while Onslow County High Schools are pretty mediocre academically, though not bad by any means. Onslow County high schools do have great teachers and excel in extracurricular activities and sports and many families are happy with them. Maybe the disparity in test scores from the great elementary schools to the middling high have more to do with the demographic shift in the student population between the two than the quality of education.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:56 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Though there is a Naval Hospital on Camp Lejeune, many mothers are still sent to Onslow Memorial out in town due to the sheer volume of expectant mothers that need to be seen. Also most of the employees, nurses especially, are civilians at the Naval Hospital.......

If you have medical experience outside of neonatal, medical jobs in general is the one field that is always in demand along the coast, due to the only that matches the number of young people are the number of older ones and nurses are necessary to service the large retiree community.
Thank you. I was also going to suggest Jacksonville if the OP wants to stay with neo-natal intensive care. It is possible to live in Topsail Island or Hampstead and commute to Jacksonville. Otherwise, it would be helpful to have geriatric care experience if the OP wants to live and work in Brunswick, Pender or New Hanover Counties.

Another suggestion because it has very good schools is Dare County (containing the Outer Banks). The summers have more moderate weather, but you have to cope with summer visitors. The winters can be cold and very quiet, so I am not sure the OP would like the life there.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-24-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Thank you so much. My husband does IT work so he can work just about anywhere. I have been looking a lot at pender county and Brunswick county. It will just depend on where we get jobs. I have been mainly looking at Hampstead because I have heard excellent things about the Topsail school district, but houses are a bit pricier there it seems. Winnabow and Leland seem a bit more affordable. Are those nice areas with descent schools? We would like to have around a half acre if possible. We live in Roscoe right now which is a small town of about 4000 with wonderful schools. We both work in Rockford though which is horrible. There was just a shooting outside my best friends house last night. Can't wait to get away from here!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amybth04 View Post
Winnabow and Leland seem a bit more affordable. Are those nice areas with descent schools?
They are decent areas, but the comments on the schools is that they are neglected. Leland is so full of retirees that children have to go long distances by bus to the nearest school. Leland and Winnabow schools rank a bit above average.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Ok thanks. Good to know

Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amybth04 View Post
Ok thanks. Good to know
Yeah, Leland is a retirement mecca. There are family neighborhoods, but I think your children would have a better time within Wilmington or in Hampstead or Topsail beach. Furthermore, I would concentrate on finding the job first, and look at neighborhoods later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina