U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,853,633 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've just seen the websites on Washington, NC and it looks adorable. My husband would be working in Greenville for the hospital.

I homeschool my two boys and they're my first concern. Is there much to do if we live in Washington or will I have isolated us?

We're not the most active family on the planet, but my boys are both very social. So I'd hope to find other homeschoolers to do stuff with.

Is Washington a good choice? Is it better for retirees than families?

Thanks,

Alley
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Is Washington a good choice? Is it better for retirees than families?
There seems to be plenty going on for a small town: 6th Annual Juried Photography Exhibit Washington, NC | Little Washington

I think it would be a good place to live if your husband can tolerate the 24-mile commute. We looked at it for a retirement place, but never found the right house, and also thought it would be too far to the hospital in Greenville if we had an emergency.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:44 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,650,323 times
If your husband's employment is in Greenville why live in Washington? Greenville offers amenities for you and your children. I wouldn't want to live in Washington. It's too isolated. Just another podunk town in Eastern NC.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
If your husband's employment is in Greenville why live in Washington? Greenville offers amenities for you and your children. I wouldn't want to live in Washington. It's too isolated. Just another podunk town in Eastern NC.
Well, I like Washington because it's on the water. So pretty.

But if he works in Greenville -- which town would you recommend looking in for family wanting safety? We can afford about $2000/mo in rent.

Thanks,

Alley

Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 PM

I'd suggest finding a home-schoolers' network, and asking how many home-schoolers live in Washington, NC. I have no idea, and since Washington is a small town, you could be isolated.

Alternatively, find a compatible church in Washington, and ask them if they have members who home-school.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There seems to be plenty going on for a small town: 6th Annual Juried Photography Exhibit Washington, NC | Little Washington

I think it would be a good place to live if your husband can tolerate the 24-mile commute. We looked at it for a retirement place, but never found the right house, and also thought it would be too far to the hospital in Greenville if we had an emergency.
ri
Thank you for this link -- I appreciate it! Yes, my husband is up for the drive. Right now he has a 22 min. drive to work and acts like it's fine.

He'd actually be working for the hospital. The town of Washington -- at least from sites -- looks cute as a button. And the homes look great too.

I guess I need to drive down and really get a look around.

Thank you again!

Alley

Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
The town of Washington -- at least from sites -- looks cute as a button. And the homes look great too.

I guess I need to drive down and really get a look around.

Thank you again!

Alley
I absolutely, positively, 100 percent, suggest spending some time there before you move there. There are parts of Washington that do look good. But more of it looks like the town is stuck in the 1950's. The politics of Washington are still the "Good Old Boy" type. Make no mistake about it, Greenville is still in Eastern Carolina, but it is becoming more sophisticated. Washington is stuck in the old days and it's going to be there for a long time.

If you still insist upon moving to Washington after seeing it, then I recommend finding a place in Washington Park. It's just outside of the Washington town limits but the "town" as a whole is not bad.

BTW, Chamber Of Commerce websites will always make a place look great. Check out this website for a Pitt County town called Grimesland. You'd think the place was the best small town in the entire state of NC. But the truth is that the included pictures are of the only decent stuff in the whole town. The rest of the town is very run down and the prospects for the future are dim at best.

Town of Grimesland, North Carolina in Pitt County

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Washington is essentially a bedroom community of Greenville. The main lure is its Historic District and Waterfront. There are a bunch of ECU professors and other Greenville professionals that own waterfront homes along the Pamlico River all the way down to Bath.

If you are not a Historic District type person, the three main area's folks live (that commute) are in Cypress Landing (Chocowinity), in Washington Park or along the Bath waterfront.

Washington has all the basic functions...a Wal-Mart, Lowe's, a few hotels, a hospital...and a some nice restaurants downtown along the water. Its only about 10K but it supports most of Beaufort County (about 40K) and Hyde County (about 5K).

IMO, its a viable place to live...but only if you are looking for a Historic house or are in a waterfront community...otherwise why pay the money to commute?

The politics of Beaufort County are kind of idiotic and certainly hold Washington back, but the City itself is fairly progressive. Its not much different in Pitt County, there is a huge disparity between Pitt County government and the City of Greenville....its just on a smaller scale.

Washington was beginning to grow, but it's growth took a big hit in the downturn because much of it was speculative...there are 2 large waterfront condo projects that were completed before the downturn. Another project, downtown, stalled and just sits as vacant land right now. A bypass was finished a couple of years ago for Highway 17 traffic that helps with getting to Cypress Landing faster.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 28,756 times
Is Washington NC a suitable place for a retired couple in their early 60's with no children. We are relatively active and enjoy taking walks along the waterfront enjoying the scenery. We prefer to do limited driving. How about health care? Is the town made up of people relocating or natural residents? We need feedback ASAP. We are staying in Wilson NC and are getting ready to check out another destination.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawarebigguy51 View Post
Is Washington NC a suitable place for a retired couple in their early 60's with no children. We are relatively active and enjoy taking walks along the waterfront enjoying the scenery. We prefer to do limited driving. How about health care? Is the town made up of people relocating or natural residents? We need feedback ASAP. We are staying in Wilson NC and are getting ready to check out another destination.
I think it is worth checking out. We had it on our short list of waterfront communities. I think the population is still mostly native residents.

There is a local hospital for emergency services. The larger one, Vidant, in Greenville is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina