U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM

522 posts, read 1,614,408 times

Advertisements

We are excited to move even though we do not know to much about Wilmington. I was stationed in Camp Lejeune but never did make it out to Wilmington while I was there.

Coming from Memphis to WIlmington I know income tax will hit us hard so i'll be taking home less. Living in VA beach taxes was horrible and when I moved to Memphis it was like getting a promotion; but moving to NC i hear taxes are even higher than Virginia.

I'd like some feedback on the following:

1) Living in the country is ideal for us; what part of Wilmington or surrounding areas are same country places to settle down? As a parent of 2 young girls, safety is a priority, is Wilmington/surrounding areas safe? I'm willing to travel up to an hour. I'll be working at the federal building downtown.

2) School is not an issue because my wife homeschools; are there any homeschool laws we need to worry about (my wife did some research but does not appear there is anything to be worried about)

3) We are Vegan (rarely eat vegetarian when we go out if we have too); are there vegan/vegetarian friendly places in the Wilmington area? Is there a good farmers market (buying local) around?

4) We are asian and find out selves at the asian/international grocery stores, are there any there?

5) How are the winters? Mild or is there crazy snow?

Thanks in advanced for any advice/information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM

11,273 posts, read 19,823,307 times
I can address a couple of your points:

1. If you want to live in the country, look at Burgaw and Rocky Point. However, Wilmington itself is relatively safe. If you wanted the convenience of nearby stores and parks, look at areas near Myrtle Grove Road or around Independence Mall.

2. I have no knowledge.

3. There are vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Wilmington. Try this list: http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...na/wilmington/ People have liked Indochine and Flaming Amy's. There is a farmer's market: Farmers' Market . There is also a Whole Foods store . If you live in the country, your neighbors may sell vegetables out of their yards, and there will probably be local farm stands.

4. Saigon Market on Franklin and Asian Life at 4302 Market Street.

5. Winter is minimal. One needs a light jacket. It might snow less than 1 inch every 2 or 3 years.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks Goldenage!

We have a Whole Foods here so that's good news.

We love to garden and i'm glad to hear there really isn't a winter there (my girls are sad about it though). So could I grow warmer/tropical type plants in this area?

How are the taxes and property taxes. What places has the least tax (for home purchasing within an hour drive). Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
We love to garden and i'm glad to hear there really isn't a winter there (my girls are sad about it though). So could I grow warmer/tropical type plants in this area?

How are the taxes and property taxes. What places has the least tax (for home purchasing within an hour drive).
We are located in Zone 8, which cooler than tropical, and it does freeze. Cabbage and collards would survive over the winter, and perhaps you could use a cold frame for root vegetables.

Surrounding counties with an hour of Wilmington which have low property taxes include: Brunswick, Columbus, Bladen, Pender, Onslow and Duplin. Taxes are fairly low unless you live in an incorporated town. Brunswick's mill rate is .4425, Bladen's is .74, Onslow's is .585, and the rest can be found here: http://www.dornc.com/publications/20...tes_prelim.pdf

I should warn you that some of these areas like Bladen are really rural and not progressive. That is, you could be very isolated. The local farmers who raise turkeys and hogs won't be sympathetic to a family of vegans. I'd suggest sticking with a closer-in area like Rocky Point in Pender County. My town in Onslow County is also full of military families.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM

Another thought-- You don't have to go way out in the country to have a good garden. I recently saw a listing for a house in Wilmington's Lincoln Forest neighborhood (28403) which had a raised bed vegetable garden, fruit trees and a compost bin on a 1/3 acre lot. It was a ranch house selling for $231K, and could probably be sold for less. It was with walking distance to the Whole Foods and about 2 miles from the Asian markets. I'm sure there are other similar properties with larger lots.

The main problem with being out in the country is that there are so many commercial hog, poultry and beef producing operations. They not only smell bad, but I think they would be offensive to someone who is vegan for ethical reasons. A compromise location might be around Currie which has many strawberry, blueberry, cotton and soybean fields.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,244,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
I'd like some feedback on the following:

1) Living in the country is ideal for us; what part of Wilmington or surrounding areas are same country places to settle down? As a parent of 2 young girls, safety is a priority, is Wilmington/surrounding areas safe? I'm willing to travel up to an hour. I'll be working at the federal building downtown.
hard to say. are schools a factor?

Quote:
4) We are asian and find out selves at the asian/international grocery stores, are there any there?
there's an interesting ..uh.. "Japanese convenience store", i guess you'd call it, near the port on Carolina Beach Road. Last I was there they had great Japanese food, and were stocked full of Japanese-imported products. It is the "Tokyo Deli."

Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Another thought-- You don't have to go way out in the country to have a good garden. I recently saw a listing for a house in Wilmington's Lincoln Forest neighborhood (28403) which had a raised bed vegetable garden, fruit trees and a compost bin on a 1/3 acre lot. It was a ranch house selling for $231K, and could probably be sold for less. It was with walking distance to the Whole Foods and about 2 miles from the Asian markets. I'm sure there are other similar properties with larger lots.

The main problem with being out in the country is that there are so many commercial hog, poultry and beef producing operations. They not only smell bad, but I think they would be offensive to someone who is vegan for ethical reasons. A compromise location might be around Currie which has many strawberry, blueberry, cotton and soybean fields.
I would echo GA's statements about not having to go out of town. And I'd add that the problem with living in the "country" is that there are virtually no regulations. You don't have that issue in New Hanover County, because it is developed, zoned, etc...but you have to be VERY choosy going out into the "formerly" rural country outside of New Hanover. Keep in mind that Pender & Brunswick counties were small counties that have seen large rises in population because of 1) they have beaches and 2) they have land for large subdivisions (that have covenants and rules). Working downtown does give you the option of living in one of the other counties...if I were looking for a farm, I would consider going up Highway 421 toward Harrells. Pretty road, no traffic and easy access to downtown Wilmington. And its very rural, so there isn't as much "trailer litter" that commands the landscape of much of rural NC (as I can assume is much the same of rural TN or AK).

I know a number of folks that have chickens in their yards that live in the city limits, so the regulations aren't THAT strict in the City.

As well as Whole Foods, there is Trader Joe's, Fresh Market and local places Carolina Farmin' and Tidal Creek. Keep in mind ALL of these stores as well as Asian Grocery, etc...are in Wilmington, you will likely not find anything anywhere outside of Wilmington, unless you went down toward Southport. Wilmington has a virtual non stop growing season, it stays a little cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than areas inland.

There are a lot of local restaurants, with some renowned chefs that like to buy local. They will certainly cater to the needs of vegans.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,640,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

I would not want to live with a one
hour commute , lots of areas within New Hanover county
to find acreage lots or houses.

we live in a neighborhood almost rite
in town where all homes are lots that
are up to five acres in size located rite at 17'th and S. College rd.
as a matter of fact a few hobby farms in here with cows, horses, goats etc.
one of which is one the market right now [ not ours] .
since we don't know your price range it makes it
harder to judge where to recommend.

look along Myrtle Grove rd. and you might find an acre or two
with a house on it. also look along Silver lake rd.

I thought that part of home schooling involves
a lot of get together with others and lots
of field trips? how will you do that one hour away?
trust me , it is very rural out there.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've lived in the city and feel like I want to try the "country." Maybe it may be smart to rent first to get a better feel of the area.

I do not mind the commute. When I lived in Virginia Beach, VA I worked in Ft Eustis (46miles) but with the bridge-tunnel traffic (crossing over the peninsula) commute can be up to 2 hours long depending on traffic. So I am used to a long commute but would like to max it out at 1hr and I wouldnt image it'll be that bad of a drive.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
Well just to be clear...commuting and living in the country can be two different things. There are folks that live in Hampstead and commute to Wilmington or Jacksonville...can be 45 minutes...but Hampstead has some amenities, like a grocery store, some places to eat, etc...

If you really want rural (where it is a commute to get a coke). Then the 421 corridor toward Sampson County would be the place to go. Its just farmland really, and doesnt have the hog processing stuff the I-40 corridor has. If you go 74 toward Columbus County, you run into the Papermill at Rieglewood....every other direction (17 corridor) is getting built up because of access to beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina