U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be moving to Wilmington (from CT) for a new job within my current company in the next few months.

Initially, I will be moving down there with my son, who is gay--What is the gay scene like?

After a few months, my daughter and granddaughter will be coming to live with me until they find their own place. I am interested in good areas with reasonable rents.

We are a mixed race family, and I have heard some ugly stories about Wilmington. I was wondering if I could get some opinions from similar families living there.

Also, I tend toward the hippie, artsy, and earthy. I keep reading that the Downtown area is horrid--is it crime? Run-down buildings? Why is it horrible?

A little more background: I've lived in CT for ten years (originally from Bronx/Manhattan NY) and I have to maintain a gluten-free lifestyle I think that's all.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM

11,304 posts, read 19,893,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leneescomp View Post
I keep reading that the Downtown area is horrid--is it crime? Run-down buildings? Why is it horrible?
I think that downtown has many interesting attractions and is safe enough for visitor. See especially the comments by HP91 (a long-time resident) in this thread:
Charlotte to Wilmington Questions

If you search through the sub-forum on "family-friendly safe" areas, you will find many suggestions for neighborhoods. Are you planning to rent? How much space do you need and what is your general budget?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,378,696 times
Wilmington has a very artsy crowd, much of it due to the Film Industry. Prior to the economy downturn, much of that crowd was busy fixing up bungalow style homes in neighborhoods like Carolina Place, Dry Pond (near the Cape Fear bridge), Sunset Park, among others including the Historic District. The NoFo area (North Fourth) appeals to this crowd as well.

That being said, I wouldn't limit yourself to these areas, especially if your granddaughter is of school age, you may want to go look at the school options. I have always thought the Park Ave/Audobon (between Wrightsville Ave and Oleander Dr) area has been undervalued myself...very close to everything, and mostly rental bungalows, but fairly good size lots.

If you want more traditional neighborhoods, keep in mind the closer to the college, the more college students you will end up next to.

As to being mixed race or gay...Wilmington is a very diverse community...is is the South, but more of a progressive South. Its not Chapel Hill...but it has a gay population. I think mixed race is not an issue at all at this point.

I would suggest going downtown, perusing the Cotton Exchange, taking a carriage ride around the Historic District, and visiting local establishments like Carolina Farmin' and Tidal Creek, as well as the chains in Fresh Market, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods...and see if you feel comfortable (I'm betting you will). If your family likes Theater, check into the Thalian Hall schedule, Level 5, or Red Barn Studio....there is a Community Theater on 2nd St as well.

For the most part you will find folks welcoming and the scenary, culture engaging. Where Wilmington seems to get a bad rap is on websites like these where mostly transplants come to B & M about everything not being absolutely perfect and easy for them.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM

I was planning to rent, and I will need a minimum of 3 bedrooms.. I have a budget of no more than $1200 per month.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your candor!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,378,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leneescomp View Post
I was planning to rent, and I will need a minimum of 3 bedrooms.. I have a budget of no more than $1200 per month.
How about this listing...no problem with this neighborhood...

3711 Pollocks Way, Wilmington, NC 28412

Or if you can pay a little bit more, this one looks good and has 4 BR's...

4635 Mockingbird Lane, Wilmington, NC 28409
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina