Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times

Advertisements

Hey Fellow posters, we need some guidance please. My wife and I are both NC natives currently living in Charlotte and we are considering Wilmington. I have been here many times but as a tourist just to visit the beaches. I would have employment in Wilmington but my wife would not. Here is a little info about us if that helps.

We have no kids and no plans to have any, both in our mid to late 30's. Looking for neighborhood suggestions in/near Wilmington. Right now we live in a very convenient area close in to downtown Charlotte. Our area (Plaza Midwood) is considered an "artsy" part of town with unique shops, restaurants and older homes built in 1920-1940 era. We wanted to find out what areas in Wilmington might best fit this description? We don't want to spend a fortune on a house so 185-250K would be our budget. Safer areas are preferred (not the ghetto, but also does not have to be Mayberry either).

Here are a few questions:

1) How is the job market for someone with a degree and an array of experience from import/export logistics to construction?
2) How easy is it to meet new friends?
3) Are our housing requirements a realistic expectation?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
1. I'd say the job market is more difficult, mainly because Wilmington is so much smaller, and it is a desirable place to live. It has 103K people, compare to Charlotte with 750K. Please do some scoping of jobs with a job search engine.

2. Lots of transplants, but I can't comment otherwise.

3. Your budget would get you a 50's or 60's area house in mid-town. I like the area between Independence Blvd to Oleander Blvd. But, you probably won't have quite the variety of shops and restaurants that Charlotte has. There are also 20's and 30's houses closer to downtown, but you might find these in sketchier neighborhoods.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
Thanks for the response. I have read a little about Carolina Heights and Carolina Place. Is there a difference between these areas?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
The Carolina Place area (or larger Carolina Heights) fit this description...lots of bungalow style houses in the 200K price range. The Historic District usually runs 300K or more.

I believe GA was referencing the Audobon neighborhood, which has larger lots than Carolina Place. Both neighborhoods would have some rentals and there are a number of "film industry" folks that live in them. I know some folks that live next to Snipes Elementary and really like it...artsy type folks. Carolina Farmin' is in this area and is the local grocery. Here is an idea of what you would be looking at on Metts Ave...

2024 Metts Ave, Wilmington, NC 28403 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

This is new construction, which if they are building on infill lots shows the neighborhood is desirable...although a bit less with small children.

Number 2 and 3 are not a problem IMO if you like the neighborhoods I listed, folks are friendly. Other neighborhoods that are more 1960-1970 that could fit the bill are Lincoln Forest or Pine Valley.

In terms of job market, it depends...the Port deals with import/export...construction is ongoing in Wilmington, the North end seems to have continuous cranes in place. The market is tight, but there is some hiring going on. May be a slow start but with one job in place, the other can probably take any job to start out.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Thanks for the response. I have read a little about Carolina Heights and Carolina Place. Is there a difference between these areas?
Carolina Place is the area south of Market (and east of 17th St), Carolina Heights is the area North of Market from New Hanover High School to the national cemetary. Carolina Heights had bigger houses...Carolina Place is more bungalows.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 AM

11 posts, read 20,750 times
I would not move anywhere close to downtown. I would not move to Wilmington period... Just doesn't seem smart, coming from Charlotte. I came here for the beach and was surprised at how little I saw of it. Job, etc get in the way and then you realize you have no time for what you moved here for.

Whenever I do have free time I stick around the Mayfaire area. Free parking and good restaurants and things of that nature. Downtown is very pretty and has a lot of fun things to do but with the way the gang situation is right now I avoid that area entirely.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtleo View Post
I would not move anywhere close to downtown. I would not move to Wilmington period... Just doesn't seem smart, coming from Charlotte. I came here for the beach and was surprised at how little I saw of it. Job, etc get in the way and then you realize you have no time for what you moved here for.

Whenever I do have free time I stick around the Mayfaire area. Free parking and good restaurants and things of that nature. Downtown is very pretty and has a lot of fun things to do but with the way the gang situation is right now I avoid that area entirely.
Are you saying the gangs in Wilmington have made it too unsafe to even go downtown and enjoy the place? How long has this been going on and is the police force doing anything to combat the crime? Would it be unsafe for an older person to visit Wilmington alone and walk around? Opinions please.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
We know kids at UNCW none of them have mentioned gangs wow

Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Are you saying the gangs in Wilmington have made it too unsafe to even go downtown and enjoy the place? How long has this been going on and is the police force doing anything to combat the crime? Would it be unsafe for an older person to visit Wilmington alone and walk around? Opinions please.
I was just in downtown Wilmington during the day, and saw no evidence of gangs, and nothing made me feel unsafe. I think the PP is being excessively negative.

If you were downtown at 2AM when the bars let out, it's a different story.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM

I have frequented downtown Wilmington since 1997 (lived downtown for 2 years) and I have not once seen evidence of gangs...there is a late night crowd when the bars close at 2AM that can get a bit rowdy...but for the most part the area is safe.

Maybe that comment is in reference to people with tattoo's...which are more and more frequent in today's society. There are a few tattoo parlors in downtown.

There are some locals that refuse to give downtown a chance...but you are going to find those types. The Community College downtown continues to grow as does the Hospitality Industry...a new Marriott is almost complete...and a few more hotels are scheduled. More housing is being built on the North end as well. While there is a some crime, it is somewhat spotty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina