U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 AM
 
3 posts, read 12,746 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Westport had 40+ homes for re-sale last time I looked. The homes are very nice but the HOA has a bad reputation.

Waterford was over priced when I was in the market for a new home but it seems that now all the other developments are selling lots and building floor plans for about the same.

Brunswick Forest will be in development for the next 10 years. Look at Malory Creek, it still have alot of developement still pending and a third of the home sites as planed for all of Brunswick Forest.

Do your research and talk to people who live in those communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM
 
57 posts, read 246,024 times
Reputation: 47
Anyone moving here from out of state info:
1) local towns main source of income is building permits. They do not have the home buyers interest at heart when (and if they do it)building inspections are done on new homes, they cater to developers, not homebuyers.
2) Homeowners associations are like small town governments. They have total power and control over your home/land. They are unregulated and can do just about what they want. Your homeowners dues may start low but soon will rise.
3) You most likely will end up with a 1 year builder warranty.Hire your own attorney and building inspector. The scam down here is to get an out of towner to buy into the "we will pay your closing costs if you use our closing attorney"-This is a polite way of saying you are going to get screwed after you sign that contract giving up your rights to sue the builder because of poor quality and workmanship.And good luck on the 1 year warranty, nobody backs you up down here so come armed with lots of cash to hire an attorney for when your builder does not honor your warranty.(construction defects are a civil matter and up to the individual to pursue)
The attorney general won't do a thing for you.
4) You don't have to be a licensed architect to design single family homes in North Carolina.
5) They have a State Contractor Licensing board that licenses contractors. Only one person has to pass the exam, then he will be the qualifier for the contractor( the golden child)-this means one guy knows what he is doing while a bunch of unlicensed sub contractors and throw in a few illegal immigrants commence to build your house.
6) Good luck with your new NC home!
7) Ask your builder if they do any type of soil testing before they build your house.
8) If I had known what I know now, I never would have purchased a new home in Leland, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
 
4 posts, read 20,129 times
Reputation: 12
Default brunswick forrest

hi,
i understand the prices go up as the develop beginsto offer services (like wellness center)....etc. are you happy there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 AM
 
4 posts, read 20,129 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
Anyone moving here from out of state info:
1) local towns main source of income is building permits. They do not have the home buyers interest at heart when (and if they do it)building inspections are done on new homes, they cater to developers, not homebuyers.
2) Homeowners associations are like small town governments. They have total power and control over your home/land. They are unregulated and can do just about what they want. Your homeowners dues may start low but soon will rise.
3) You most likely will end up with a 1 year builder warranty.Hire your own attorney and building inspector. The scam down here is to get an out of towner to buy into the "we will pay your closing costs if you use our closing attorney"-This is a polite way of saying you are going to get screwed after you sign that contract giving up your rights to sue the builder because of poor quality and workmanship.And good luck on the 1 year warranty, nobody backs you up down here so come armed with lots of cash to hire an attorney for when your builder does not honor your warranty.(construction defects are a civil matter and up to the individual to pursue)
The attorney general won't do a thing for you.
4) You don't have to be a licensed architect to design single family homes in North Carolina.
5) They have a State Contractor Licensing board that licenses contractors. Only one person has to pass the exam, then he will be the qualifier for the contractor( the golden child)-this means one guy knows what he is doing while a bunch of unlicensed sub contractors and throw in a few illegal immigrants commence to build your house.
6) Good luck with your new NC home!
7) Ask your builder if they do any type of soil testing before they build your house.
8) If I had known what I know now, I never would have purchased a new home in Leland, NC.
what development did you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
 
5 posts, read 19,079 times
Reputation: 12
Default brunswich forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundCoastalParadise View Post
OK, there seems to be some mixed messages here and some untruths so here is a bit of overview on relocating to Leland!
First, half of the northeast is looking to move away from high taxes, snow ice and sleet, traffic, high cost of living. They want to be a long days drive from family still in the northeast, want to downsize yet upscale thier home, Do NOT want Florida, want a small city with things to do socially and professionaly! ( Sound familiar??????)

They have all found Coastal Wilmington/Leland area.

Wilmington is a small city of 100,000 and yes we have theater, museums, hostoric areas, boating, fishing , golf , shopping and cool trendy areas! So yes you will have a lot to do here....add the great beach (far different than a Jones beach or Jersey shore!!) and the activities/lifestyle that come with the intercoastal waterway and riverfront ... well you have PARADISE!!!

We have 4 seasons but wither is 3 weeks long it seems, once in a few years you MAY get the 1/4 inch snow and everything will shut down and make the papers!!! heheheheh In Winter you typically would be in the high 40s, dips to just below freezing at night... Look i dont even own an ice scrapper for the car!! Now that lasts 3 weeks.. then poooffff its Spring!...

The 411 on Leland. Yes, some 10 years ago Leland was not a hotspot in the area. Ummmm better rethink that now. Wilmington is built out and sometimes crowded ( traffic here is 20-30 cars at a red light vs the 3 hour commute on a standstill I-95 or L.I.Expswy!!) Leland is home to several new home communities and people are very attracted to them. One in particular is Brunswick Forest..
The front part of Brunswick Forest will have a shopping village with 14cinema mutliplex, hospital anex, Hampton Inn, BBT, CVS, Starbucks, Belks, shops and multiple restaurants.... all in the front part of the community with a trendy downtown village feel!!!!!...
Inside they have tons of ammenities like 75 miles of walking and biking trails, Wellness/Fitness center with multiple pools, Private 27holes of golf, river club, ocean front beach club ....Evryone says they want to do a lot more things when we relocate and at least this place offers it all as part of the home purchase!!!... hey they even do all your lanscape maint year round!!!!!!!!!

Houses are mostly brick, no maintenance start at 250s and go up depending on waht you looking for but these are NOT starter homes.. even at 250, they include granite, Stainless appliances, hardwoods, master suites and tiled master baths....Thats the townhomes... but WOWOOW you must take a look at the Florida Villa homes... what you would get for $439,000 would cost over 900,000 in westchester!!!! Stunning homes!!!
Moderator cut: TOS VIOLATION

IF anything... MOVE TO COASTAL NC... you will love it...

Paradise guy!
hi, we are looking in the wilmington area for all the reasons you stated. but.......it is my undrstanding that brunswich is not completed, nor near compleation. at my age i don't want to wait 10 years for the community to be finished. even though it offers all we want, or think we want. i want to be near the action, movies, beach, resturants, moving people. i think the place for a senior type active person would be closer to wilmington proper. what do you think? and yes the homes at brunswich were stunning and the prices seemed great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
 
49 posts, read 311,988 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamax View Post
hi, we are looking in the wilmington area for all the reasons you stated. but.......it is my undrstanding that brunswich is not completed, nor near compleation. at my age i don't want to wait 10 years for the community to be finished. even though it offers all we want, or think we want. i want to be near the action, movies, beach, resturants, moving people. i think the place for a senior type active person would be closer to wilmington proper. what do you think? and yes the homes at brunswich were stunning and the prices seemed great.

Brunswick Forrest, Magnolia Green, Waterford, etc. is just 10 minutes to Wilmington. I was there Memorial Day looking around. If you looking to live "close" to town without being "in town", it would seem like that Leland area could fit your requests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
 
57 posts, read 246,024 times
Reputation: 47
And what about that railroad that runs through the middle of Brunswick Forest between the present homes and the river?
I would be extremely disturbed to here a train in the middle of the night after spending $450,000 on a house, over $200/month just to be there.
I'm sure the railroad crossing will be a hit with the kids!
Leland, N Carolina, USA - Google Maps,You can see the railroad runs along the side of Brunswick Forest all the way to the river parallel to Kay Todd Rd.

Last edited by qaz123; 06-04-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: southport,nc
76 posts, read 337,395 times
Reputation: 94
that railroad is government owned. it is only used for sunny point military terminal, cogentrix- a coal burning plant, and for progress energy to move nuclear fuel. there is not an intense amount of traffic on it at this point. it will be used much more heavily in 20 years or so, when they finish the port. but, if you are a senior looking at brunswick forest, I wouldn't let the railroad deter you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,851 times
Reputation: 10
Default Its getting better out there

I am a realtor from Long Island NY and also in Wilmington NC. I don't agree with the 60% of asking. I agree with the agent in NC. When the seller is realistic the prices are closer to 90%. If you sold last year for almost 100 more there must have been a reason. Your place was in a better location, had more upgrades etc. People buy with their eyes and then justify with logic. I am also a real estate trainer and have been through a market like this in the late 80's and early 90's. Things are turning. The inventory while still in abundance is more like 10 months of inventory instead of 18 months. I think we are seeing movement especially in the first timers. Owners need to think like buyers and buyers need to think like owners and we would have a better market! LD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 AM
 
107 posts, read 253,653 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
And what about that railroad that runs through the middle of Brunswick Forest between the present homes and the river?
I would be extremely disturbed to here a train in the middle of the night after spending $450,000 on a house, over $200/month just to be there.
I'm sure the railroad crossing will be a hit with the kids!
Leland, N Carolina, USA - Google Maps,You can see the railroad runs along the side of Brunswick Forest all the way to the river parallel to Kay Todd Rd.
I have lived in BF now for over 14 months and can tell you I have not heard a train once!!. Also it isnt close to any of the development. Get your facts straight and go trash someplace else. That railroad runs thru plenty of backyards down Lanvale road, And I have lived near many of them in ohio without any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top