U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,007,859 times
We discuss topics not each other please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 16,599 times
I currently live in Leland. Many of you are saying that the housing developments in Leland are dying. Well, thats not totally true for some of the developments are booming currently and growing in leaps and bounds. As a matter of fact, more neighborhoods in southern and wester Brunswick County are dying. In the current state of the economy, no neighborhood is going to grow by thousands of homes per month. Leland is a good place. I have lived here my entire life, and its grown drastically during that time. Though the traffic is bad at times, and there may be some trashy areas, Leland is a warm and welcoming community to all. People living in New Hanover County like to talk down to people who live in Leland for Leland has always been the armpit of Brunswick County, until the past decade when Leland has started taking away from the big town of Wilmington. Thats just what I think.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 PM

61 posts, read 182,721 times
Seems I read someplace recently that the movie theater is on hold (as are many things in many locations because of overall economy)

Brunsiwck Forest is nice, but it's so large and so undeveloped at this point. It likely will take ten years or more to complete. Personally I'd rather be closer to the coast like in the St James, Palmetto development area as from there closer to the beach. From Leland it's maybe 20 miles to beach and add another five miles from Brunswick Forest. Someone told me from Leland the closest beach is Wrightsville which may be true, but I wouldn't be too excited about that.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM

36 posts, read 90,005 times
I would not recomend anybody moving to sleazzeland/tinland....Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw is way nicer...Even Jerry Springer is going to build a 2 million dolllar studio in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrgaw....Rumor has it that he will be building a 4 million dollar studio in Sleazzeland/tinland someday.....

Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,381 times
Talking Love Brunswick Forest, here since Nov 2007

My husband and I moved from San Diego, CA to Brunswick Forest at the end of 2007. We bought the house online from [URL="http://www.brunswickforest.com"]www.brunswickforest.com[/URL] as we needed to get out of the CA traffic adn bills.
WE LOVE IT HERE>
Lower taxation, easy commute to the beach, Wilmington is just the right size for us.
As far a BF is concerned, we are SOOOOO happy here, we just love it!
So many things to do here, the Wellness Ctr has tons of events and the nicest neighbors, mostly form NJ NY MD VA and PA.
There is some diversity, which pleases me, I am form CA and like a diverse non-segregated neighborhood.
Everyone is very nice, it is VERY safe (not gated, but well patrolled and we are getting a sheroiff's sub station in the community in the new shopping ctr.)
We have had several neighbors MOVE from Magnolian Greens, and Waterford across the street as this is BY FAR the best master planned community in the area.
We just love it,. great builders.
No foundation problmes in my community that I know of. that was a big concern, but the developers know their stuff. Come check it out!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 PM

116 posts, read 245,644 times
MichelleinNC
How much are you paying in monthly POA dues? I hear that they are well over 200 dollars a month, is this true? Also do you pay a tax to Leland or just Brunswick county?
Do you think you will still like living there when there are over 8,000 homes and/or over 20,000 people living there, and do you think the facilities will be adequate to facilitate that many people?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,778 times
Cool Brunswick Forest & Leland

"Buyer beware in the forest! Seriously they are considering building 10,000 homes in there and will swallow up Leland in the process. Take a good look at the roads outside the forest, they are already getting congested with only 500 new homes in there and also check out the water and sewer system, there is not enough for such an expansion of the area." With any area that's going through growing pains, you are going to have home prices do one of threee things, Go up, Go down or remain the same. It's also well known for anyone who lives along a coastal region with popular beaches, you are going to have traffic problems, especially during spring break and the summer. Hello!!?? "Already plans have been scrapped for the new movie theater and I'm sure its just the start of more changed plans." Plans for new business openings or development change during economic down turns, it happens. Not just in Leland. Over 10 years ago, Leland barely had 2,000 households. Do you not think that nearly 70% growth in population including households and the number of businesses that have already opened will have some effect in your area?

Brunswick County is also one of the top 5 in growth in the entire United States and has been for sometime. Where do you think people want to live? Where there is growth for one, where there might be job opportunities, or opportunities to start a new business for two and move to a climate and area where family's can prosper. Can't people do that in Leland or Belville, Navassa, or North Brunswick County? I certainly would hope so!

Jobs are going to come from the service industry and when that happens and money starts to come into the community from all the fees that are assessed by the Town & sales/use tax, the sanitation system will improve. Again, when you have this much growth over a 10 year period, traffic is going to get worse, fees to new property owners are going to go up to keep up with the demand on the use of water & sewers and with growth you are going to have population booms as well which will mean new schools to build which should entail more jobs for educators.

Roads will need to be built or existing highways are going to have to be widened. That happens in nearly every area with the type of growth, North Brunswick County Region has endured.

"And as for the beaches that you plan on using while you live there? If you can ever get over the bridge due to closings, accidents where all roads merge, etc your nearest beach is at Wrightsville, about ten miles away, and good luck trying to find a parking space in the summer! Or you could try Carolina beach, about 25 miles out of the forest." People if they are patient enough and do their research, know how long it takes to get to beaches, no matter where they are. Try Nags Head, Cape Hatteras during the times you mentioned. It's just as bad there, if not worse, or you could go to Atlantic Beach or Topsail Island, it's just as bad there too.

"And as for the uptick in the real estate market, I'm not seeing it, I have had a house for sale in Brunswick County for 16 months now, custom built on a golf course, (not on the dead zone of 211) and it is priced below what I paid for it in 2006, new. Also take this into consideration if you plan on buying in BF, if you decide you don't like living there, be warned that you won't get your money back when you try to sell the house."

Buying a home, new or used, by a golf course or in a golf community, should be a family/person's investment and if they are looking for a quick return in a downturn economy, they are sadly mistaken. I'm sorry that you have had a tough time selling your home and I hope it's sold as of this reply date, I sincerely do!

I've been through Brunswick Forest 4 times now to drive around and get street names and check out the progress as an out of towner who will be opening a new business in your area. So I have seen what you are saying about "growing pains" and I feel the "anxiety of not selling your home". I've seen sub-divisions open up and are still trying to sell out after the last 4-5 years in my current area in North Raleigh & Wake Forest.

Remember back to 9/11/2001, when the economy took a bit of a downturn and started to slowly rebound, and in Wake County it took off like N. Brunswick County has done the past few years. It takes almost 18 months later to rebound after a economic downturn.

The best advice any home owner should know or will learn is, to stay in their home at least 5-7 years and negotiate prices with builders/real estate developers before being sold a set of goods, you know? Get your lowest price possible during negotiations and ask questions about the community, etc. The market and "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION", sets the price of homes and the only way you will be able to sell quickly, is when the economy and community growth are on the uprise or "uptick" as you stated Rob, and when homes are hot sellers, you will notice by how quickly the "For Sale" signs go up and come down.

In my area, the average home on the market in N. Raleigh was around 17-20 days 3 years ago (2006 early 2007) then it slowed at the beginning of 2008. That average days on the market went from 17-20 days, to over 90 days and the median price has started to decrease. I've seen million dollar homes on the market now over 24 months and seen million dollar homes drop down to $800,000 and $300,000 homes that were sold and built in subdivisions that were suggesting new home prices in the mid $200's end up dropping new home price buildouts to the $170,000's just to get more than 50 plus lots and pre-existing spec homes sold. Is that fair? In business, all is fair, just like in "love and war".

The people who buy homes at lower prices in communities that were starting sales in the $300,000's, are going to be the benefactors, but the folks that did buy their home for over $300,000 will reap their rewards if they can hang on for a bit until everything stabilizes in the community, not just yours, but everyone's across the US.

"Hope this will help you with your decision".

I hope this reply helps those who are wondering what's really happening in N. Brunswick, Leland and Brunswick Forest. Progress will continue to be a steady but slow roll uphill and when money keeps getting pumped into the surrounding region, the slow growth pushing that snowball uphill should start going down hill quickly and grow with positive influence on the area.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:48 AM

116 posts, read 245,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYPizzaGuy View Post
"Buyer beware in the forest! Seriously they are considering building 10,000 homes in there and will swallow up Leland in the process. Take a good look at the roads outside the forest, they are already getting congested with only 500 new homes in there and also check out the water and sewer system, there is not enough for such an expansion of the area." With any area that's going through growing pains, you are going to have home prices do one of threee things, Go up, Go down or remain the same. It's also well known for anyone who lives along a coastal region with popular beaches, you are going to have traffic problems, especially during spring break and the summer. Hello!!?? "Already plans have been scrapped for the new movie theater and I'm sure its just the start of more changed plans." Plans for new business openings or development change during economic down turns, it happens. Not just in Leland. Over 10 years ago, Leland barely had 2,000 households. Do you not think that nearly 70% growth in population including households and the number of businesses that have already opened will have some effect in your area?

Brunswick County is also one of the top 5 in growth in the entire United States and has been for sometime. Where do you think people want to live? Where there is growth for one, where there might be job opportunities, or opportunities to start a new business for two and move to a climate and area where family's can prosper. Can't people do that in Leland or Belville, Navassa, or North Brunswick County? I certainly would hope so!

Jobs are going to come from the service industry and when that happens and money starts to come into the community from all the fees that are assessed by the Town & sales/use tax, the sanitation system will improve. Again, when you have this much growth over a 10 year period, traffic is going to get worse, fees to new property owners are going to go up to keep up with the demand on the use of water & sewers and with growth you are going to have population booms as well which will mean new schools to build which should entail more jobs for educators.

Roads will need to be built or existing highways are going to have to be widened. That happens in nearly every area with the type of growth, North Brunswick County Region has endured.

"And as for the beaches that you plan on using while you live there? If you can ever get over the bridge due to closings, accidents where all roads merge, etc your nearest beach is at Wrightsville, about ten miles away, and good luck trying to find a parking space in the summer! Or you could try Carolina beach, about 25 miles out of the forest." People if they are patient enough and do their research, know how long it takes to get to beaches, no matter where they are. Try Nags Head, Cape Hatteras during the times you mentioned. It's just as bad there, if not worse, or you could go to Atlantic Beach or Topsail Island, it's just as bad there too.

"And as for the uptick in the real estate market, I'm not seeing it, I have had a house for sale in Brunswick County for 16 months now, custom built on a golf course, (not on the dead zone of 211) and it is priced below what I paid for it in 2006, new. Also take this into consideration if you plan on buying in BF, if you decide you don't like living there, be warned that you won't get your money back when you try to sell the house."

Buying a home, new or used, by a golf course or in a golf community, should be a family/person's investment and if they are looking for a quick return in a downturn economy, they are sadly mistaken. I'm sorry that you have had a tough time selling your home and I hope it's sold as of this reply date, I sincerely do!

I've been through Brunswick Forest 4 times now to drive around and get street names and check out the progress as an out of towner who will be opening a new business in your area. So I have seen what you are saying about "growing pains" and I feel the "anxiety of not selling your home". I've seen sub-divisions open up and are still trying to sell out after the last 4-5 years in my current area in North Raleigh & Wake Forest.

Remember back to 9/11/2001, when the economy took a bit of a downturn and started to slowly rebound, and in Wake County it took off like N. Brunswick County has done the past few years. It takes almost 18 months later to rebound after a economic downturn.

The best advice any home owner should know or will learn is, to stay in their home at least 5-7 years and negotiate prices with builders/real estate developers before being sold a set of goods, you know? Get your lowest price possible during negotiations and ask questions about the community, etc. The market and "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION", sets the price of homes and the only way you will be able to sell quickly, is when the economy and community growth are on the uprise or "uptick" as you stated Rob, and when homes are hot sellers, you will notice by how quickly the "For Sale" signs go up and come down.

In my area, the average home on the market in N. Raleigh was around 17-20 days 3 years ago (2006 early 2007) then it slowed at the beginning of 2008. That average days on the market went from 17-20 days, to over 90 days and the median price has started to decrease. I've seen million dollar homes on the market now over 24 months and seen million dollar homes drop down to $800,000 and $300,000 homes that were sold and built in subdivisions that were suggesting new home prices in the mid $200's end up dropping new home price buildouts to the $170,000's just to get more than 50 plus lots and pre-existing spec homes sold. Is that fair? In business, all is fair, just like in "love and war".

The people who buy homes at lower prices in communities that were starting sales in the $300,000's, are going to be the benefactors, but the folks that did buy their home for over $300,000 will reap their rewards if they can hang on for a bit until everything stabilizes in the community, not just yours, but everyone's across the US.

"Hope this will help you with your decision".

I hope this reply helps those who are wondering what's really happening in N. Brunswick, Leland and Brunswick Forest. Progress will continue to be a steady but slow roll uphill and when money keeps getting pumped into the surrounding region, the slow growth pushing that snowball uphill should start going down hill quickly and grow with positive influence on the area.
Hi Pizza Guy,
Thanks for your input regarding the RE market in Brunswick County, which is still the same as it was when I wrote the message.
FYI, unfortunately, we have not sold our house yet, 20 months later. We never bought to sell it quickly for profit, we simply did not like living in the area.
This was what I implied in my message, that if you decide to move because of a reason like ours, you will be out of luck getting what you paid for the house, even new construction.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM

330 posts, read 380,736 times
"don't forget to check out the areas that are to used to build huge storage facilities for the hundreds of container shipments from the new port in Southport, they are going to be in Leland."
Can anyone expand on this statement? Where in Leland and how large are they going to be? Where can I find out more information about this? thanks

Old 07-02-2010, 08:40 AM

5 posts, read 7,570 times
As far as jobs are concerned FORGET ABOUT IT THEY DON'T EXIST. Also if your a northerner the one thing I've found they don't want you here - the southerners and as far as I'm concerned the sooner I'm out of here the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina