U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 43,397 times

Advertisements

If one were to move to Camden County area (Grandy) where would one shop, closest hospitals, doctors offices etc.... would you have to venture into Elizabeth City or does the area have some amenities. How rural is the area? We're a family who lives somewhat close to shopping etc... just trying to get an idea.

Also husband will be working in Hamptons Road - would the commute be too much?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 AM

18 posts, read 43,397 times
Anyone have any info for this post?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM

75 posts, read 371,672 times
Hey...I lived down there for a year and ended up moving back to PA. Depending on where you're talking about in Camden County, you will definitely be oriented around Eliz City, which is simply across a bridge from the main part of the county. It's very rural, the Camden County schools are small, but seemed to be of better quality than EC-Pasquotank. (I work in educ). The commute to Hampton Roads will not be fun - at least from the EC area. It took about 45 mins to get to Cheaspeake, let alone Norfolk. The Virginia side was a two-lane road through the swamp for much of the trip. I would recommend living in Currituck (depending on where you husband will be working), or living on the VA side. As far as shopping in EC, there wasn't much beyond Lowes, a terrible Walmart, a JC Penney, and another similar dept. store. The mall in EC is the smallest one I've ever been in...it should really just be a shopping plaza. Otherwise, you're limited to Food Lion & Winn Dixie. The Applebees there used to be really bad too, but I never had a good meal out the entire time I lived in that area. On the plus side, Camden County = better access to the beach, and I enjoyed the great produce I was able to pick up at road stands during the season. I also found the cost of living to be very high for a rural area compared to living in PA or upstate NY, but working in education in NC makes life more challenging than it would be for most other careers.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 AM

144 posts, read 608,576 times
Grandy is actually in Currituck County not Camden County. Grandy is fairly rural with small shops such as Family Dollar, Dollar General, Food Lion, and a Drugstore plus several other small stores including Radio Shack, a computer store, 7-11, a few restaurants but for bigger shopping most will hit the beach area (about 15-20 mins away) which has Walmart, K-mart, Home Depot, and a couple hundred other small specialty shops. If you want to do serious shopping you have to go to Elizabeth City or Chesapeake, VA. Both of those would be about 30 to 45 mins. away. Most of the people tend to go to VA for more shopping selection and nicer stores and better service although you may find things a little cheaper in EC.
For most of your daily needs you will probably find Grandy and the Beach fairly adequate. Nothing in these areas is close together so a vehicle is a must and everyone gets use to everything being at least a 10 to 15 minute drive. Probably 65 - 75% of the people who live there either work at the beach or in VA so driving a little is not a big deal to them except on the weekends in the summer when you have to contend with beach traffic. Most elect to stay home on the weekends if possible either that or leave early in the morning and return late at night. Hope this is helpful. BTW I live in Moyock which is 30 minutes north of Grandy also in Currituck Co. but I have a lot of friends that live in that end of the county.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 PM

144 posts, read 608,576 times
Also noticed the commute to Hampton Roads. Where at in Hampton Roads? Norfolk wouldn't be too bad, but Hampton area would be a long rough commute.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM

358 posts, read 1,320,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Also noticed the commute to Hampton Roads. Where at in Hampton Roads? Norfolk wouldn't be too bad, but Hampton area would be a long rough commute.

Norfolk metro is called Hampton Roads. Norfolk is the main central city of the area, but there are six other independant cities around Norfolk. So for Norfolk not to bruise any egos ( Va Beach) the metro is usually called Hampton Roads.

The cities are:
Norfolk, VA Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, Portsmouth and Newport News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina