U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,519 times

Advertisements

I am from NY state and hate it. I live in Western New York right by PA border where winters are horrible and our lives are controlled by 10 million people living 7 hours away from us who do not share any of our rural conservative backgrounds. (NYC) Our gun rights are restricted horribly by liberals from NYC. I own a home. Looking to buy something in a few years down south for vacation home while I am working and retirement home after me and my wife retire. Would like to have it paid off before retirement. Was orginally thinking Williamsburg VA becasue I love it there but it is not very close to the beach and winters are still kinda cold. Thought about Outer Banks but I think its too pricey and too seasonal. Any other suggestions? Would be able to afford a condo in the 100k to 130k price range but its got to be a 2 bedroom and within 15 to 20 minutes of the beach. Has to be a condo since I will own it for 20 years before it is a permanent residence so I need someone else to do upkeep. Would visit prob 4 to 5 weeks a year until retired. Also interested in golfing and possible boating. Where should I be looking? Not sure how much condos cost in Coastal areas that are in good safe areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Manteo, NC

Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touro1979 View Post
Would be able to afford a condo in the 100k to 130k price range but its got to be a 2 bedroom and within 15 to 20 minutes of the beach. Has to be a condo since I will own it for 20 years before it is a permanent residence so I need someone else to do upkeep.
This price range is possible in Wilmington, Southport or Leland, as long as it's not on the water. Plenty of golf courses nearby.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
This price range is possible in Wilmington, Southport or Leland, as long as it's not on the water. Plenty of golf courses nearby.
Also try Surf City, Emerald Isle and Morehead City. Everything is safe, but if you are nervous about break-ins, you might look for a building with on-site management. One example is the Gateway Condo in Surf City, with a recent listing about $130,000. It's a short drive to the beach, and walking distance to the food store, drug store, a doctor and several restaurants.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
I would just buy a place in Wilmington...its likely to hold its value the best in the long run.

It may a busy city, but it has all the amenities you need for older folks...and the access to the beach.

You could go to beach communities, but consider they will be just as busy in the future. Traffic in Hampstead & Oak Island is about the same as Wilmington because they don't have adequate infrastructure for it...which isn't changing any time soon.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM

So are there condos in the 100k to 130k price range in great neigborhoods in Wilmington? Not to be a snob but I live in a fairly affluent area where everyone is upper middle class and up and would like to buy a condo in a similiar soci-economic environment. Any particular zip codes to look at when doing real estate searches online? Hard to look at condos on the internet, the realtors make sure they dont get any of the stripped cars on blocks or graffitit everywhere in the shots lol.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
So are there condos in the 100k to 130k price range in great neigborhoods in Wilmington? Not to be a snob but I live in a fairly affluent area where everyone is upper middle class and up and would like to buy a condo in a similiar soci-economic environment. Any particular zip codes to look at when doing real estate searches online? Hard to look at condos on the internet, the realtors make sure they dont get any of the stripped cars on blocks or graffitit everywhere in the shots lol.
Sure there are perfectly nice condo's in Wilmington (area) in that price range...

3901 Botsford Ct, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

5014 Exton Park Loop, Wilmington, NC 28405 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

2820 Bloomfield Ln Unit 303, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

645 Condo Club Dr Unit 309, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3767 Merestone Dr, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here are 5 examples spread around town that are not "student" area's (anything within a mile of UNCW)....personally, I would prefer the Southern end of the county because its more breezy and easy access to Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Fort Fisher, Southport, etc...and still having access to Wrightsville Beach in town.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks. Those are some very nice places. I think Wilmington is on my short list of places to check out for vacation/retirment communites.

How are the libraries? Any Museums? Can seniors audit classes at colleges for low cost or free? Just want to make sure I pick a place where I will not get bored. Can only golf and go the beach so much.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Those are some very nice places. I think Wilmington is on my short list of places to check out for vacation/retirment communites.

How are the libraries? Any Museums? Can seniors audit classes at colleges for low cost or free? Just want to make sure I pick a place where I will not get bored. Can only golf and go the beach so much.
I have no idea about seniors auditing classes...there is a large senior center next to Hoggard High School.

4 libraries I believe, the two best are downtown and Mayfaire area (was an old grocery store).

A number of museums...

Cape Fear Museum
Cameron Art Museum
Fort Fisher Aquarium
NC Battleship (I consider this a museum)
The largest Historic District in the state, with lots of houses to view...Burgwin-Wright house, Bellamy Mansion, etc...
Serpentarium
Wilmington Children's Museum
Orton Plantation and Poplar Grove Plantation
Fort Fisher (Civil War battlefield)

Plenty of stuff to do...

Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,665 times
Quote:

If you are looking in the 100k to 130 k range for a condo
I really don't see how you expect it to be located in
an affluent , upper middle class area?

there is a senior learning/teaching center located on
the UNCW campus, internet will be your friend
in that regards. As an aside , Wilmington is
a democratic voting city, yeah, just so you know ,

buying a retirement
place now seems way too early. go to the
real estate forum on city data and ask there,
the pro's will give you the truth about buying so many years out.
Many things can happen in the next twenty years
that will influence where you retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina