U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2013, 11:48 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 2,565,684 times
Reputation: 1894

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramamamaoffour View Post
wow, really? is it that bad?
Yes. Some people mistake them as "friendly". The more appropriate term is cordial; as in they won't be rude to you at least according to their social standards. Their actions however, will reflect a generally provincial attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,302 posts, read 19,879,348 times
Reputation: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramamamaoffour View Post
thanks for the info! how expensive is 'expensive'...my hubby and i were just talking about that today....
Re: homeowners insurance. It depends one exactly where you are and what the house is worth. We pay about $2400/year and we are about 2 miles from the ocean and house is valued about $325,000. By comparison we paid less than $800 in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 AM
 
569 posts, read 1,227,298 times
Reputation: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramamamaoffour View Post
wow, really? is it that bad?
No, it is not. I am from NC and I can tell you that you will not find a more welcoming group of people with open hearts. Here in Charlotte there are nothing but transplants. Most of my close friends are from other parts of the country. Don't listen to the ignorance of a few posters on this board. Even though it is NC we are not all related and we do not hate yankees or people from Cali. Now, the true southern locals from Eastern NC might think you are a little nuts being from Cali so you will just have to reassure that you are quite sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,767 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
No, it is not. I am from NC and I can tell you that you will not find a more welcoming group of people with open hearts. Here in Charlotte there are nothing but transplants. Most of my close friends are from other parts of the country. Don't listen to the ignorance of a few posters on this board. Even though it is NC we are not all related and we do not hate yankees or people from Cali. Now, the true southern locals from Eastern NC might think you are a little nuts being from Cali so you will just have to reassure that you are quite sane.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 05:14 AM
 
2,404 posts, read 3,376,481 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramamamaoffour View Post
wow, really? is it that bad?
No. Sounds like someone had a bad experience in their neighborhood.

OP, you say you are in SoCal...which is essentially a huge metropolis....but you commute and hour and a half one way...which you are saying you want a small town, not a huge city.

Small is a relative term...is 100-150K small or are you looking for less than 5K.

One thing that struck me is the "traffic" comment....most people from large metro area's know what "traffic" really is....Wash DC beltline type stuff.

Relatively speaking, Eastern NC has no "traffic" issues. If you drive an hour and half from Wilmington you are in Myrtle Beach or to I-95 or to Kinston. That includes the 15-20 minutes of traffic to get through town.

To fully understand if what you are looking for is possible, you'll have to give us an idea of what your husband does for a living. You said you want to stay home and bake cookies. Is this a "trust fund" deal or does someone work...and if so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
 
79 posts, read 230,660 times
Reputation: 76
Hi, I haven't posted on here in ages but I thought I could help a little. I grew up in so. Ca. And move to Long Island NY at 20yrs old (that's where my family is from so I have a lot of relatives there). Meet my wife there and had 2 awesome kids. In a way SoCa and LI are similar below the obvious differences, very crowded and very busy. Very cosmopolitan, lots to do all the time, but you can also feel trapped in a endless rat race. We sold our house and moved to NC in 2006. Wow, big change! We live in a beautiful subdivision 20min outside of Raleigh. I will only say this about employment, it is a right to work state, look it up if you don't know what it is. First year I loved the change, years 2-4 I hated this place and tried to make a plan to leave. Now in years 5-7 I love it here and I'm so grateful my kids got to grow-up in a slower paced place.

The reasons I hated it were, lack of things to do on weekends, the real southern charm (smile to your face, twist a knife in your back) and the endless gossiping and back biting by the neighbors against each other. That was our personal experience yours may be different. We decided to not be so involved with our nieghbors and everything is good again. I do miss Ca, we were out there last year and all of us loved it, my brothers and sisters still live there. My kids want to move there, they are 16 and 12. I don't miss NY at all, every time we go up there I can't wait to get home to NC. LI is a wreck!!! The garbage on the streets, rat race mentality, traffic, expensive ect...NC is a much slower paced life and you have to learn to slow down, it takes a while to learn.

With all that being said we have decided to move down to Wilmington, we have spent plenty of time down there and we know that's where we want to be. I can't wait to get back to the ocean. The ocean is beautiful in NC, I also surf and while its not as good and consistent as CA it does get good. The wilmington area coast is positioned good for picking up many swell directions including "Nor-Easter" swells. I hope some of this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: southern California
8 posts, read 15,265 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
No, it is not. I am from NC and I can tell you that you will not find a more welcoming group of people with open hearts. Here in Charlotte there are nothing but transplants. Most of my close friends are from other parts of the country. Don't listen to the ignorance of a few posters on this board. Even though it is NC we are not all related and we do not hate yankees or people from Cali. Now, the true southern locals from Eastern NC might think you are a little nuts being from Cali so you will just have to reassure that you are quite sane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-KB View Post
Agreed.
thank you for clarifying this for us! what a relief to hear it's funny you should mention the 'nuts being from Cali' comment. Both hubby and I are so cal natives, but could not feel farther from the 'norm' around here. we look at everyone else we know and love and think 'they themselves are NUTS'. the pace they keep up is exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
No. Sounds like someone had a bad experience in their neighborhood.

OP, you say you are in SoCal...which is essentially a huge metropolis....but you commute and hour and a half one way...which you are saying you want a small town, not a huge city.

Small is a relative term...is 100-150K small or are you looking for less than 5K.

One thing that struck me is the "traffic" comment....most people from large metro area's know what "traffic" really is....Wash DC beltline type stuff.

Relatively speaking, Eastern NC has no "traffic" issues. If you drive an hour and half from Wilmington you are in Myrtle Beach or to I-95 or to Kinston. That includes the 15-20 minutes of traffic to get through town.

To fully understand if what you are looking for is possible, you'll have to give us an idea of what your husband does for a living. You said you want to stay home and bake cookies. Is this a "trust fund" deal or does someone work...and if so, where?

hubby has essentially 2 jobs. one we work from home running a small family business hubby inherited. this business is slowly phasing out and will last us an income for another 6 years or so unless the other partners agree to renegotiate the contracts / terms. so it's very fluid and something we know we cannot rely on in the long term. His 'real job' (where he commuted daily) he works as an office/warehouse manager for the manufacturing arm of a larger global company. NC has more to offer within the company in terms of opportunity. I work from 'home' doing daycare and 'creative gigs' when they come up, ie, jewelry making / photography etc. so that i can be the sahm my heart yearns for, and besides that the cost of daycare in my area would eat up every last penny i earned should i work outside the home, since we have 2 small girls who would need watching over. i was consistently bringing in enough to cover gas and food and that has recently diminished. we are living off of savings for that now. thus the 'push' to seriously open the discussion for our relocation to NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67 View Post
Hi, I haven't posted on here in ages but I thought I could help a little. I grew up in so. Ca. And move to Long Island NY at 20yrs old (that's where my family is from so I have a lot of relatives there). Meet my wife there and had 2 awesome kids. In a way SoCa and LI are similar below the obvious differences, very crowded and very busy. Very cosmopolitan, lots to do all the time, but you can also feel trapped in a endless rat race. We sold our house and moved to NC in 2006. Wow, big change! We live in a beautiful subdivision 20min outside of Raleigh. I will only say this about employment, it is a right to work state, look it up if you don't know what it is. First year I loved the change, years 2-4 I hated this place and tried to make a plan to leave. Now in years 5-7 I love it here and I'm so grateful my kids got to grow-up in a slower paced place.
so you first felt 'culture shock' and then hated it, and then learned to love it after pushing through and making adjustments, right? we keep hearing about the culture shock - and i could be all wrong in what i am going to say here, but nothing nothing nothing brings a smile to my face when i think about the slower pace and quiet country life.

i have to say here in ca, i love the convenience of driving 10 minutes to any where (trader joes, the mall, the movies, etc) love the D-land and knotts berry farm (we can afford about every 5 years or so) i love all the beauty, but we just cannot afford it. i would gladly give this all up for a less stressful life in the 'country'. and from what I have researched, my 'country life' idea is the 'faster paced' idea of what NC could offer.

our primary goal is to be mortgage free NOW. not in 27 years from now. we are hard workers, but with that said, the pace we are keeping up is killing us. we are living for a mortgage. and we are sick of it.

i said i wanted to bake cookies all day and i mean it! give me a night i can lay my head on my pillow and look forward to the next day where money stress and the rat race is behind us. we have a plan...and that involves selling our home, and with the equity, paying cash for a home (it's amazing what you get in NC vs here). hubby has a few opportunities with his Company there, and some contacts if that falls through. we have enough to live very simply for a year or so after buying a home cash.

i know nothing is perfect. but we are willing to reach for our dreams rather then die dreaming in a land of stress and being nothing but house 'poor'

please, keep the convo going! i am in love with NC people...truly i am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 AM
 
79 posts, read 230,660 times
Reputation: 76
You make very valid points, mortgage wise, I found the things to be cheaper here are houses and property taxes. But with cheaper property taxes comes less services, we are spending about $1,700 a year for my son to partake in marching band and winter percussion at his high school (he's a drummer) that might be something to keep in mind.

Also at the same time we moved here my oldest brother moved here with his wife and 2 daughters from Orange County Ca. They enacted the same plan as you are thinking of, my brother loved it, his daughters loved it but his wife hated it after about 6 months. She is partially disabled and everything was to spread out and the heat and humidity trapped her in the house far to often. They decided to move back to Ca, I believe it was the right call for their situation. Many people have done what you want to do, you might want to post the same question on the Raleigh board, you would probably get a bigger response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 03:42 AM
 
2,755 posts, read 1,781,320 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
No, it is not. I am from NC and I can tell you that you will not find a more welcoming group of people with open hearts. Here in Charlotte there are nothing but transplants. Most of my close friends are from other parts of the country. Don't listen to the ignorance of a few posters on this board. Even though it is NC we are not all related and we do not hate yankees or people from Cali. Now, the true southern locals from Eastern NC might think you are a little nuts being from Cali so you will just have to reassure that you are quite sane.
Thank you for posting this. As someone who will be coming from California, I've heard generally good things about the people from Charlotte and was a bit surprised to read the negative posts. However, I can't really blame people for having a negative view of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 AM
 
79 posts, read 230,660 times
Reputation: 76
To clarify what I mentioned in an earlier post about gossiping and back-biting nieghbors I'll say this. Most of those neighbors were from other areas like NY, OH, MI ect... We have very few NC Natives in our subdivision. As far as the "locals" I find them to be very cordial, you can't move here and think things should be changed, especially at work. A lot of transplants move here with a chip on their shoulder and talk down to the local people, just be nice and respectful and you'll fit in "fine".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top