U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,551,809 times

Advertisements

Great post! Since we share the same experiences, I'll aslo comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have lived in SOCAL, NOCAL and lots of places. I am a NC native, growing up in the middle of the state. I now live near but not on the coast.

After reading these boards for years, I cannot tell you how many people have been bitterly disappointed after moving to NC for the "low cost of living." Even though you know it, you probably do not know what this really means. For starters it means less pay at jobs and much much less amenities provided by local government.
In Greenville, NC for example 26% of the population is below the poverty line. Sure it's cheaper than living in say, Santa Monica, but 20% of the population makes over 150k/year.. I even went to college with people who lived in structures that were not much better than tobacco barns..

I loved SOCAL, I was there in my 20s, lived on Mission Bay, surrounded by UCSD coeds....but I digress.

I was shocked by this when I arrived.. especially in the LA area, the beauty of the women is comparable only to maybe NYC..

I think there is a HUGE gulf between NC and SOCAL. We are not better or worse, but different. Don't think we are a bunch of ignorant rednecks either, though we do have our share.

NC and the south in general is more family/friends centric rather than the North's "go to bar scene" or the SOCAL go hang out scene. Again, not better or worse, but different. Many times the south's society comes across as "closed." It is not closed if you are in the circle, but if you are not, it is closed. It takes time to gain and nurture friendships.

Please believe this! Put another way, if one were to become extremely rich and powerful overnight, it would be easier to break into the Illuminati or something than Southern culture! Its really like that!

The lifestyle is slower, I remember a quote for a 1971 issue of Rolling Stone, "The difference between laid back and boring is a million dollars." That, on so many levels, sums it up. The Eastern NC economy is terrible, and bad, even in the good times. There are good schools, but not everywhere. Shopping can be found, but not everywhere.

This might be rephrased as "there are a few good public schools and the rest of them are just ghastly". I distinctly remember my third grade teacher teaching us to pronounce the days of the week as Mundee, Toozdee...etc.. not to prounounce it as "day".. Granted this was years ago, but Im sure its still around. Discipline and racial tensions were also big issues.

Oh, I have surfed in HI and SOCAL. NC surfing, 90% of the time, is riding your board, out past breakers, trying to look cool. Nada, zip, zilch. I could not believe it after doing the real thing, watching the yahoos ride their boards for literally hours. Yes, every now and then , with the conditions right, surfing is ok.

I remember years ago some of my surfer buddies heading desperately towards the beach when a hurricane was coming to try and catch the big storm swells. They were the only ones going towards while everyone was evacuating!

So...if you really want to bake cookies at home, with a slow pace and have a kid in a good school, you are ok. Surfer dude my struggle. Remember, though, you are leaving both the best and the worst of SOCAL behind.

Good Luck

OH, to answer some of your questions.

We live in New Bern. It is an electric city which, back in the day signed up for some idiotic electrical deal. WE pay a fortune for electricity to cool and warm our historic home...about $400 a month, on average.

Gas flucuates wildly. Today it was 3:26, but has been in the very high 3's recently. Another New Bern distribution monopoly or something.

Families are generally water or outdoor focused. Fishing, beach, kayaking is big right now.

Don't forget huntin'! If you own large parcels, some of the older folks don't think much of just wandering on over and shooting stuff on your land.

We go to Harris Teeter, the upscale grocery store, we used to spend near 800-900/month for four of us, but we eat well.

For the OP's reference, Harris Teeter is about like a Trader Joe's product line (but less creative) with a Gelson's attitude and pricing..

Homeowners insurance and wind and hail insurance if pretty expensive, something, you don't think about but you should.

Flood insurance is definitely another consideration. Much of the development disregarded flood plains and this was reflected in the disaster of Hurricane Floyd some years back.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Because most counties charge you per bag of trash, they are abandoned lots where people leave their trash. It is also considered cool to throw bottles and cans along the roadside. The prison crews pick them up periodically.
This always baffled me, especially in an area where pickup trucks were so prevalent and it would be so easy for someone to haul their own trash.

Also don't forget that every Fall is a deer holocaust of sorts. Their carcasses will litter the side of the highways and fields as they are shot down like enemies in an 80's Rambo movie...

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Also don't forget that every Fall is a deer holocaust of sorts. Their carcasses will litter the side of the highways and fields as they are shot down like enemies in an 80's Rambo movie...
Some shooters also consider blasting at trees is recreation. We have a 200-acre bank-owned property nearby, and many Sundays we would hear "Blam Blam Blam" for 4-5 hours at a time. We could also hear guys riding around in a 4-wheeler shooting at trees. That finally stopped when a new owner put up "no trespassing" signs, and the sheriffs could final enforce something. We were told trespassers have the same rights as invited guests under local law.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,414,647 times
Quote:
meanwhile, he's probably scarred for life since he was standing at the urinal with his entire manhood in his little hands for all to see.
I don't support unisex bathrooms, either, but if your 5th grader is "scarred for life" because a girl walked into the Boys' Bathroom (especially since urinals generally have dividers blocking the side view), he's got more problems than just overly-progressive politics.

I agree with whoever said to look into SC for both lower cost of living and more "family values" politics.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't support unisex bathrooms, either, but if your 5th grader is "scarred for life" because a girl walked into the Boys' Bathroom (especially since urinals generally have dividers blocking the side view), he's got more problems than just overly-progressive politics.

I agree with whoever said to look into SC for both lower cost of living and more "family values" politics.
lol! I could think of a few situations when I was a kid that I might have actually seen the "advantages" of such a situation..

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramamamaoffour View Post
I take it you have never lived in So cal. You think 'farmers' and 'no rules' are an issue to deal with? try dealing with elitist-thinking, self-important, radical progressives who micro-manage every detail of your life, right down to where your dog can poop or not poop. seems us californians have absolutely no common sense. Gawd forbid we will all kill each other, or for GAWDS sakes, not pick up after our dog....
Wilmington has pet waste laws as well. When dogs take a sh*t, that fecal matter runs into either the cape fear river or the intracoastal waterway.

Which is all well and good, as long as there aren't very many dogs around. (which is not the case.)

Quote:
so you want to talk 'rules'? where do we even start when you are talking california my friend? kids can't ride their skate boards or their bikes on the side walk in MOST cities.
you can't ride skateboards or bikes on the sidewalk in the state of North Carolina, either.

Quote:
you can't walk your dog in most master planned communities. you can't leave your trash barrels sitting on your own damn property without being fined (and this is the day of trash collection).
Wilmington proper isn't so bad, but there are plenty of municipalities around here that'll fine you for leaving your trash can out too long.

Quote:
most hoa's here do not 'allow' you to work on your own car whilst it's sitting in your own driveway. fined fined fined. yup. thats what you get in CA. fines for anything and everything. and do you know why ? because we are broke broke broke.
North Carolina has insane HOA's as well. Don't even get me started. In some of them you can't own a pickup truck.

Quote:
funtimes here in CA. oh hey forgot to mention my new favorite rule, you can't wear flip flops in two city parks just a mere 15 miles from the pacific. gotta LOVE that one! rules rules rules. we have a rule to micro manage just about every area of life here in CA.
I read about that, it isn't a California law, and it isn't even supported by the elected officials in that area in the first place. they were surprised when they heard about it.

Quote:
i just don't think most people posting in this thread have any real clue of what it's like living in NC vs living So cal.
yeah, I think that includes you, too.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:58 PM

79 posts, read 230,192 times
Sorry I haven't replied in a few days, I've been a bit busy. I wanted to clarify the $1700 for band. He does marching band, winter percussion and concert band in spring. Concert band is free, just a regular class. Marching and percussion cost between $600-$700 each per season. That money covers extra instructors, transportation to competitions, entrance fees and any thing else they need. Parent volunteers account for all the money and run some fundraisers, but it's just a drop in the bucket. They usually do an overnight trip or two to a competition at an amusement park, so that costs us extra. So between the tuition, overnight comps and giving money for dinner ect... It costs us about $1700 a year, music is his life and he wants it to be his future so we don't mind investing the money in him.

If he had chosen to play football or another "sport" we wouldn't have to lay that money out. The schools and PTA pay for everything for sports. Our son also takes private drum lessons at $90 a month and is a hell of a rock/jazz drummer.

I became disabled a couple of years ago, if I hadn't made really good money in NY which boosted my Social Security I don't know how we would have survived. For now I'm very grateful to live in NC but if I am able to return to work I would plan on moving to SoCal again. The reason One place costs more than another place comes down to simple supply and demand.

If you move out here I would strongly suggest living in Wilmington because it will probably feel just like that small town your thinking of. The "country" out here is not like the country in Ca. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,050 times
Listen to me. I moved my family to the Outer Banks from Encinitas. Had the same thought process as you. DO NOT DO IT!!!! Nothing compares to the So Cal environment that you are familiar with! So Cal is arguably the most desired place to live in the US. and people will hate you for it. You will have a hard time finding like minded people to share your thoughts and experiences with. People seem to doubt your intelligence solely based on the fact that you moved to NC from CA. Nothing here compares to there, it is not worth any money that you think you will save and the schools are no better in reality. The surf is not even comparable, though the warmer water is nice.
What I've learned is that people only hate So Cal because they can't be there and need a way to justify it. Truth is that almost everyone would be there if they could.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,818,592 times
I've lived in SoCal before. It, and California in general, us it's own universe. My view to people from SoCal who want to move has always been that if you like SoCal, and you can survive the high cost of living in SoCal (even if you don't prefer it) then stay in SoCal. You'll find nowhere else like it (maybe Hawaii, but also expensive and even more leisurely). If you don't like SoCal, culturally, then leaving is find. But if you're looking for a cheaper SoCal lite you'll never find it.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocococo10 View Post
Listen to me. I moved my family to the Outer Banks from Encinitas. Had the same thought process as you. DO NOT DO IT!!!! Nothing compares to the So Cal environment that you are familiar with! So Cal is arguably the most desired place to live in the US. and people will hate you for it. You will have a hard time finding like minded people to share your thoughts and experiences with. People seem to doubt your intelligence solely based on the fact that you moved to NC from CA. Nothing here compares to there, it is not worth any money that you think you will save and the schools are no better in reality. The surf is not even comparable, though the warmer water is nice.
What I've learned is that people only hate So Cal because they can't be there and need a way to justify it. Truth is that almost everyone would be there if they could.
All over these forums I see people trying to move to NC to achieve what little may be left of the American dream its very sad when I think about it. The NC I remember as a kid was poor, isolated, and the economy was primarily agricultural. Jobs with the state government were highly coveted and obtained only by "knowin' somebody". There was still a cultural dislike for outsiders, perhaps more intense then. Things changed over the years mostly for the better (except crime which skyrocketed) with the foresight to diversify their economy with finance, health care and technology. But now so many people have moved there without jobs that the unemployment rate in NC is right down there CA!!

I live in SoCal now and I come back time to time for business and family. Its nice for a short visit, but there's nothing like leaving dreary, cold NC in January and then 5 hours later landing at LAX and its 70 degrees and sunny with palm trees!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina