Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I currently live in Portland Maine and work as a diving instructor, with my contract ending I will be moving to Greenville NC in less than two weeks.

Can anyone give me advice on parts of town to avoid?

Also areas of town that are more professional/quiet to live in? I have been looking in the south side of Gville in the Forbes Woods area of Mulberry Lane and have liked the variety of town homes I can get in my price range. I currently pay $1300 a month for a small (900< sqft) apartment in a very nice area of Portland and would like something similar when I move down to NC. Preferably with a rent of $700-$900. I found you get a lot more bang for your buck in this area.

I actually grew up in Goldsboro NC so I am familiar with the small town feel and prefer that over larger cities. I am worried about the apparently huge party scene in Gville and am looking for a quiet place to start a family.

I do not have kids and do not own a pet but I will be looking to that in the future.

Thanks for any advice or tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Designed for folks like you:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...reenville.html

You're looking in the right area already!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastwreckdiver View Post
Hi Everyone!

I currently live in Portland Maine and work as a diving instructor, with my contract ending I will be moving to Greenville NC in less than two weeks.

Can anyone give me advice on parts of town to avoid?

Also areas of town that are more professional/quiet to live in? I have been looking in the south side of Gville in the Forbes Woods area of Mulberry Lane and have liked the variety of town homes I can get in my price range. I currently pay $1300 a month for a small (900< sqft) apartment in a very nice area of Portland and would like something similar when I move down to NC. Preferably with a rent of $700-$900. I found you get a lot more bang for your buck in this area.

I actually grew up in Goldsboro NC so I am familiar with the small town feel and prefer that over larger cities. I am worried about the apparently huge party scene in Gville and am looking for a quiet place to start a family.

I do not have kids and do not own a pet but I will be looking to that in the future.

Thanks for any advice or tips!
You may want to consider renting a house in Greenville...as you said you can get a lot of bang for your buck...for example I checked REMCO and found a couple of listings.

2385 Wedgewood Dr, 3BR, 2Bath house in nice Winterville neighborhood fro $950, fenced in backyard.

1108-A Nicklaus Drive, 3BR, 2Bath duplex near Winterville South Central High School...$750

1311 Ragsdale Rd, 3BR, 1Bath house off 14th St in Greenville. $700 This is an older established neighborhood that is right in town.

Now I will say there is nothing special about any of these places...or most of the complexes in Greenville. I would get into town, rent for a year and pick out the neighborhoods you like and try to find your "next" rental in a good spot. With only 2 weeks, you have to get what ever is currently out there, so its not likely to be exactly what you want in the long run. Personally, I like the Portertown Rd area, 14th extension, with the new Wal-mart and such going in on 10th St extension...with that complex and Bells Fork, you are in between with plenty of stuff close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina