U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 27,804 times

Advertisements

me and my family is planning to move near the coast. any suggestions? need a good place to raise my daughter. i currently live in raleigh, nc but its getting crowded. =)

Last edited by bronson714; 09-18-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM

11,288 posts, read 19,848,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronson714 View Post
me and my family is planning to move near the coast. any suggestions? need a good place to raise my daughter. i currently live in raleigh, nc but its getting crowded. =)
There are many good places to live near the coast, but it all depends on how you can make a living. Do you need a larger city for a job? Are you self employed? Do you have a transferable job? Could you find work in a town of 5,000-12,000 that depends on the seasonal tourist industry?

If you search the sub-forum these suggestion will turn up: Newport, Hampstead, Wilmington, Beaufort, Manteo. They are obviously different kinds of cities or towns.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM

19 posts, read 27,804 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There are many good places to live near the coast, but it all depends on how you can make a living. Do you need a larger city for a job? Are you self employed? Do you have a transferable job? Could you find work in a town of 5,000-12,000 that depends on the seasonal tourist industry?

If you search the sub-forum these suggestion will turn up: Newport, Hampstead, Wilmington, Beaufort, Manteo. They are obviously different kinds of cities or towns.

actually my wife and I own a nail salon business. Jobs are easy to find cause of the skills we have. my question for you is your town/city a great place to be? =)
Also im checking out new housing developments, do you know any good ones?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM

11,288 posts, read 19,848,881 times
Quote:
actually my wife and I own a nail salon business. Jobs are easy to find cause of the skills we have. my question for you is your town/city a great place to be? =)
Also im checking out new housing developments, do you know any good ones?
Well, I live in Sneads Ferry, and it's not for everyone. It's not "great" and it's very small and the population has many transient military people. I'd say it already has enough nail salons. However, it is very safe, and the schools are average or better. I am retired, and haven't had my nails done in 20 years.

I think you should do some business research for the best place to locate. Maybe Greenville would be better. The beach towns have lots of spas and salons, but the work is very seasonal. You would do better if you can also do military haircuts, because that work is year-round.

There is a lots of new, reasonably priced housing around here. However it's premature to recommend housing until you decide where you business would be located. FWIW, I think the coast is not a particularly good place to locate a new nail business, as it seems saturated already for the size of the permanent population. However, I wish you luck.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-18-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,657,433 times
Quote:
Why would you leave Raleigh for the coast? There's a reason why Raleigh is "getting crowded"--it's a desirable place to live.

I'm originally from Cary, currently live in New Bern, and have been wanting to leave Eastern NC for over 5 years now.

Wilmington is the only half-decent place to live near the coast. But it still doesn't offer the jobs, schools, excellent healthcare, shopping, or other amenities of Raleigh.

If the Brier Creek area is "too crowded" for you, have you considered moving to the suburbs? Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, or Clayton are all great towns with less people and more breathing room.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,370,961 times
Best place is Wilmington. If you have a good job, IMO, its the best place to raise a family in the state.

Many folks live in Raleigh because there are more jobs there...but many desire to on the coast, they just can't find a job.

Wilmington has perfectly good healthcare, good schools, plenty of shopping and much more culture than Raleigh. It also has various beach communities and a "water" society. It offers good higher educational opportunities and a large variety of festivals, marathon's, community events etc...

What it doesn't have that the Raleigh area has is big time college athletics, elitist universities, a NHL hockey team and arena, and a concert pavilion. It should be noted that Wilmington has a better downtown than Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina