U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 949 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the area and looking for a church. I've been attending one for the past few weeks, but I want to look around some more to see if there's a better fit for me. I grew up Methodist and started attending a non-denominational church in college...but I'm open to options!

I'm looking for a church with people my age (mid-20s), smaller to medium-sized, with an open-minded and accepting congregation. I know a lot of folks my age go to PC3, which is awesome, but I'm looking for something a bit smaller. Any suggestions?

On my list to try:

-Grace UMC
-Wesley Memorial UMC
-Pine Valley UMC
-St. Jude's MCC
-Saint Paul's Lutheran Church
-First Presbyterian Church on Third St.

If you have any comments about the churches I've mentioned or any suggestions on others in the area, please let me know. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,370,961 times
There is a divide in churches in Wilmington right now...the old guard traditional and the new age, with Port City starting that trend about 10-12 years ago now.

First Pres downtown is fairly dressy, I attended there when I lived downtown and liked it. The Pre-school is excellent. Lots of good folks there.

There are two "new age" churches I can think of you may want to try that are smaller than Port City. One has a church in the Food Lion shopping center on College Rd (behind the Hardware store) near the 17th St intersection.

Another meets at Roland-Grise on Sundays, which is where Port City used to meet before building their building. Lots of folks are not sure about the size of Port City, but they got big mainly because of the void of young churches. I know folks that grew up in some Wilmington churches that once they were older left that church because all they cared about were the "rules" and certain folks were never happy with a pastor. The newer churches really reflect the changing "younger" landscape of Wilmington...Port City started with a bunch of surfers and UNCW students...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina