Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaJ5 View Post
Thank you everyone, keep the advice coming! We are planning a trip down there in January to scout out a few locations. Any advice anyone has on locations near the beach, weather, etc., is very appreciated. I have a feeling people there are very welcoming, as I've found it really depends on your own attitude and how you approach a new community. Looking forward to doing more research and planning for our big move. Listed our shore house today for sale, so we are definitely moving on this path and I am pretty excited. Thanks, Melissa
You might want to scour some other threads.. Different people have different opinions about this.

Regarding weather though, I think in January and February its definitely milder than NJ, but its not like Southern Fl where you might still get out on a boat. Its still pretty darn cold!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'd go back and re-read LeRoi's post. Then have your husband try to book a few international flights out of the airports you think he will use (Myrtle Beach, Wilmington). I suspect he will look at the limited availability and excessive layover times and say that he needs to be somewhere else closer to a real airport instead of a small regional airport - at least until he retires.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM

383 posts, read 892,163 times
If Melissa is in South Jersey, she can fly to Wilmington from Philly on US Airways direct. The rates are pretty low. If she wants to fly out of Atlantic City, she can fly to Myrtle Beach dirt cheap. I agree with JK that if you have to travel to other US cities, you may have a problem flying out of regional airports like Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. You may have to travel to Raleigh or another large city.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 22,341 times
Regarding the airport situation, we realize that no area will have every single one of our checkpoints, so that is the one we are most flexible on. We'd rather have the house, the location near the beach, the more temperate seasons, etc., and give a little on the proximity to an international airport. Many of his trips are to Alaska anyway so he usually has to take at least 3 flights anyway. Thanks! Melissa

Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
There are direct flights from Myrtle Beach to Ottawa and Toronto! A bit closer to Alaska!

We like the beach at Sunset Beach and there are several newer communities near there that you might want to check out. It also puts you closer to the Myrtle Beach "International" Airport.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Hi Melissa,

I am also from NJ (Northern Part) and I just built in St. James. I am in my early 50's and I love St. James. I like being between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC, yet kind of off the beaten path. You can definitely do Saint James for under $500K. There is the typical Lowes, Wal-Mart and Lowes Foods/Food Lion close by and the large big box stores are 45 minutes away in Wilmington. PM me if you have any questions.

Pony
I am also from Northern Jersey and was curious about the weather year round and also the hurricane situation. I expect the hurricanes to have an affect, but New Jersey also encountered them so I am open minded. I love to swim, is the weather mostly on the warm side, say 300 days a year? The people, do they object to Northerners, or is it no problem,.
Thanks

Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdcohen View Post
I love to swim, is the weather mostly on the warm side, say 300 days a year? The people, do they object to Northerners, or is it no problem,.
I think you will find the outdoor pools are closed from November through April. Winter weather ranges from 29 to 50's, with occasional days in the 70's. The ocean is too cold for most people in December through March, but it is a good time for surf fishing.

Yes, there are hurricanes every few years. St James has underground power, so there's less likelihood of local power loss. (We live north of Wilmington and own a generator even though our power is underground.)

If you live in St. James, most people you meet will be transplants. You would have to venture far into farm country to find anyone who objects to northerners.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdcohen View Post
I love to swim, is the weather mostly on the warm side, say 300 days a year?
Here's the weather data, about half-way down the page: http://www.city-data.com/city/St.-Ja...-Carolina.html

The short answer is that you can't expect 300 days of swimming weather. That would be more like Florida, Arizona or maybe the Savannah area. However, I'd say 7 months a year you will find some weather comfortable enough for outdoor swimming.

Of course, you could build a house with a heated in-ground lap pool, as they are not that expensive. Some communities like St James, Brunswick Forest and Magnolia Greens have an indoor pool. Brunswick County also has a great Olympic sized indoor pool at the community college in Bolivia: Dinah E. Gore Fitness & Aquatics Center | Brunswick Community College
It is available to the public for a small fee.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:42 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Hello! When our last little anchor er, child, leaves the nest next year for college we are leaving south Jersey for an area in Coastal southern NC that fills our needs instead of the needs of our kids. Selfishly speaking, we know we have some time to finally pick an area where schools aren't an issue. My husband can work anywhere, as his business takes him all over the world. I write from home, so I can work in my kitchen. I need safety, since I'll be alone often with my very handsome pal Mugsy, our Border Collie. We want a single family home, large enough to entertain all our new friends in (hopefully!), pretty walking areas for Mugs and I, and a beach nearby. We love boating, fishing, good restaurants, and enough of a sense of community that someone would maybe need to borrow some sugar or an egg from me from time to time. I'm used to a very close knit small town, but we're tired of the long ugly winters. The world is too wonderful for me to die in the same town I was born in. Being in our mid-forties, we don't really fit the profile of retirees, we just want to enjoy this next phase. We are outdoorsy and have been to the Carolinas several times. Southport, Morehead City, and Wilmington look nice to us. St. James Plantation also looks nice. Is there an organic grocery store anywhere near these places? I'm not a big shopper or mall girl. I really appreciate any guidance. I've heard a lot of Jersey transplants live in the Carolinas and would really love to join their ranks next year. Thank you! Melissa
Hi! We also, are from South Jersey (Mount Laurel) and we purchased a lot in Ocean Ridge Plantation. I have several friends who also purchased lots there - plan to move in about five years - we also, Melissa, have one more child who is now a senior at UofMaryland. I will retire from my job in four years, and can't wait to go!!! PS - what town are you from??

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that he wants to be relatively close (not more than an hour) from an international airport. Plus with the kids scattered throughout the country at college, this is a necessity for visits. Never lived in a gated community. Our budget is in the high $400's area, and we're not opposed to a gated lifestyle. We also need a large fenced in yard for Mugsy, so tiny plots of land would be out. Thank you!
PS - both Wilmington as well as Myrtle Beach are International Airports. Mid October we are flying Philly to Myrtle for $150 round trip. In the spring we paid Philly to Wilmington around $138. Both are great airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina