U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,717 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a fair amount of "homework" and it looks like cataret county(cataret high) is the best choice for education. Now can someone help me pinpoint a place that offers the condo living, deep water marina with local shops, restaurants, etc...somewhere that offers lots to do and has plenty of shopping/restaurants. I will be working from "home" so distance from the office is irrelevant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM

11,278 posts, read 19,833,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhalpin View Post
I have been doing a fair amount of "homework" and it looks like cataret county(cataret high) is the best choice for education. Now can someone help me pinpoint a place that offers the condo living, deep water marina with local shops, restaurants, etc...somewhere that offers lots to do and has plenty of shopping/restaurants. I will be working from "home" so distance from the office is irrelevant
If you are expecting something like Mystic, Connecticut in North Carolina, I think you will be disappointed. The NC beach towns are more spread out and not walkable. However, I think you should be looking at Atlantic Beach and Morehead City. It is rare to find the deep-water marina and the condo in the same complex, but a Realtor can certainly help you. One example at 1013 E Fort Macon Road, Atlantic Beach is a 3 bedroom unit with a 30 foot boatslip. It is listed for $649K. Another is 150 Lands End Road in Morehead City-- a high-rise with a marina at $599K.

Both are in the West Carteret HS district. Let us know if that is in the ball-park for price.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-23-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Both are in the West Carteret HS district. Let us know if that is in the ball-park for price.
There's also one at 311 Arendell Street, MHC at $450K, and it is walking distance to restaurants and shops. Another at 4425 Arendell Street, MHC also has a slip and is listed at $448.5K.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,642,391 times
[quote=hhalpin;31928854]I have been doing a fair amount of "homework" and it looks like cataret county(cataret high) is the best choice for education. Now can someone help me pinpoint a place that offers the condo living, deep water marina with local shops, restaurants, etc...somewhere that offers lots to do and has plenty of shopping/restaurants. I will be working from "home" so distance from the office is irrelevant[/quote

Hopefully you are scouting the area before relocating?
IMO you might be in for a letdown in regards to lots of shopping, restaurants , lots to do area.
Wrigthsville beach area would be your best bet for all of this but I do\
understand that the commute would be terrible.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhalpin View Post
Boy I think Manteo would be better suited for those requirements. You can walk to just about everything in Manteo, it has condo's with marina's right on the water, the High school and Elem school are walking distance (and considered good) and it has some nice restaurants. There are outlets right across the bridge in Nags Head as well as the Hospital and beach.

The winter can shut down some stuff, but its a working village so there are a lot of locals that live there.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Boy I think Manteo would be better suited for those requirements.....
The winter can shut down some stuff, but its a working village so there are a lot of locals that live there.
Wherever the OP decides, I think they should visit in the winter. The beach towns are very seasonal and much quieter in winter. Some restaurants shut down for the winter. Morehead City is a working town, and Wrightsville Beach is near enough to Wilmington that there are year-round amenities. The OP should be aware of the trains and the port in Morehead City. They ship out phosphate, and the commercial ship traffic may be a negative.

The OP's have not said where in Connecticut they are from, but they should not expect to find sophisticated cultural amenities (like theater) such as they would find in New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina