U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 5,684 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide where to land on the NC coast. We have an 11yr old daughter so we need to be in a great school district. We are selling our house and buying a 55 or 65ft yacht so interested in living in a condo within a marina with close proximity to shops, restaurants, etc. thoughts? suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhalpin View Post
My husband and I are trying to decide where to land on the NC coast. We have an 11yr old daughter so we need to be in a great school district. We are selling our house and buying a 55 or 65ft yacht so interested in living in a condo within a marina with close proximity to shops, restaurants, etc. thoughts? suggestions?
Probably Wilmington is the best fit for what you want. There are some gorgeous places where Oleander Drive crosses over Bradley Creek. You would have to check water depth, but Bradley Creek is very close to the Inter-Coastal waterway. You might need to find a marina in Wrightsville Beach to get the depth you need. (The condo listings I saw are at 6338 Oleander Drive and at 345 Bradley Drive. They are assigned to Noble Middle School and Hoggard High School, which are some of the best rated schools.)

The town of Southport might also work, but I have not been impressed with the Brunswick County Schools. Southport is a nice town but obviously has fewer amenities than Wilmington. St. James Plantation also has a marina with nearby condos, but it is not an "urban" environment. Tommy Thompson's is the primary dining spot, and you have to drive out of the gates for any shopping.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-27-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Do you have another choice between Jacksonville and Greenville?, this is where offices will be located?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Do you have another choice between Jacksonville and Greenville?, this is where offices will be located?
Sure. The New Bern waterfront has a couple of condo buildings with boat slips. However, I can't say the the middle schools are excellent. The location has shops and restaurants in walking distance. I also can't swear the Neuse River is deep enough for the size boat you want. The north side of the river at Fairfield Harbour is deep enough for sailboats, however, it is lacking the shops and restaurants. There are also very few children in Fairfield Harbour.

A smaller town with similar water front is Washington, NC. But again, I can't recommend the schools or say the water is deep enough.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM

thanks

Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
There is about 65 miles between the cities, so it would be more useful to ask about being within commuting distance to X.

If the office is close to Jacksonville, look at Swansboro, Morehead City, Beaufort and Newport. They have mostly decent schools, and some waterfront condos. I know of one new condo with a marina in Beaufort. You could also check Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach.

If it's closer to Greenville, the options are New Bern and Washington.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,818,592 times
The best school districts on the coast are in Carteret, Craven, Dare, Pender and New Hanover County. If you're talking between Jacksonville and Greenville. Craven is the most Centrally located of these, followed by Carteret. In terms of cities that is New Bern, Havelock, Newport and Morehead City (I don't recommend Beaufort or anywhere further down east due to commute).

In terms of middle schools Tucker Creek (year round), Grover C Fields, Morehead City, Broad Creek, Croatan High (7-8), and Newport Middle. Though there aren't really any "bad" middle schools in this area. These schools feed in into New Bern, Havelock, West Carteret, and Croatan High that all excel in academics and extra curricular activities. In Craven County you also have the option of Craven Early College and Early College EAST (Eastern Applied Sciences and Technology) High School. At these schools you have the options of simultaneously of graduating with a high school diploma and associate degree and/or two years towards a bachelors degree. EAST has more of a tech focus than early college and partners with NAVAIR (NAVAIR - U.S. Navy Naval Air Systems Command - Navy and Marine Corps Aviation Research, Development, Acquisition, Test and Evaluation) as well as the local community college. Craven Early College High is on the campus of the community college. Hey are both located in New Bern but are open to students throughout Craven County. Edit: I want to say both Neuse Forest and Tucker Creek have water access. Water access is easy to come by in ENC. Also, if you are e in one school and want your kid to attend another school within a district the county often allows it, but you have to provide your own transportation. My baby brother went to a middle school clear across town, though he was within walking distance to a closer one.

Last edited by macjr82; 09-29-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Also, if you are e in one school and want your kid to attend another school within a district the county often allows it, but you have to provide your own transportation. My baby brother went to a middle school clear across town, though he was within walking distance to a closer one.
Starting this school year, Craven has really cut back on out of district. People in middle schools can stay, but starting next year siblings cannot. The reason given is that Craven needs to redraw district lines, and thy need to come to grips with who is going where from where.

Only point this out, not to pick nits, but some highly desirable schools have lost a huge humber of students this year, since out of district transfers have been, essentlally, cut off.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
This is a great question...you want a condo where you can park your boat outside...and near Greenville and/or Jacksonville?

Wow...I think you have a few viable options....the schools may not be the BEST, but certainly good enough.

The option of walking to stores, etc...screams out Washington, which has a nice downtown riverfront historic district...and some nice newer condos right on the water...its a easy trip to Greenville. The best schools in that area is the Bath school, but the 'city" of Washington schools aren't too bad...wouldn't recommend going out into the Southside or Northside schools....the private school in that area is Terra Ceia, which is a bit of a haul from Washington.

New Bern is a possibility but you will be right downtown...would prefer Trent Woods, but it is mostly single family and no commercial. New Bern will be about the same as Washington IMO, but just a bit bigger.

Swansboro may have something as well, which would give you easier access to the Ocean...it would be the smallest town.

Its good to see the market for this type of development is coming back...Washington was pushing it in their "harbor district" before the economy went down. But the school issue is what makes this a "wow" question...most of these are retirement type questions where schools are not an issue. I'd be comfortable with my kids going to New Bern, Washington or Swansboro High School if I was in the same "boat" :-)

Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
... the 'city" of Washington schools aren't too bad...wouldn't recommend going out into the Southside or Northside schools....the private school in that area is Terra Ceia, which is a bit of a haul from Washington.
There is also Washington Montessori School, which is K-8, and sounded interesting. It has some great parent ratings, and an 8 of 10 rank on greatschools.org .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina