U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM

2,428 posts, read 3,419,684 times

Advertisements

In NC I would consider the Morehead City area (Beaufort), Swansboro area, and Southport area. I did not include Hampstead because of a significant lack of medical facilities...to be honest I'm not sure about medical in Swansboro.

Southport has a hospital....as does Morehead City....but Southport would be more walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,589,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
That's a lie. Small towns in Dare, Carteret, and Pender County all have highly regarded middle and high schools.

Topsail Middle, Harker's Island, Broad Creek, Croatan High (7-8) Atlantic (K-8), First Flight, Cape Hatteras Secondary (6-12), and the high schools they feed into. I'm not sure waht your impression is of small town schools in Florida as well, but I mines does not lead me to believe they have any advantage in this category.
The OP would do well to know that these type of forums are chock full of shills for realtors. Especially for areas near the beach that tend to attract transplants.

North Carolina as a whole does not rank well in education and what good schools it does have tend to be located in the centers of industry such as Charlotte and the Triangle.. NOT in coastal small towns. Now if someone were relocating from the Deep South then these areas may seem like a step up.

The purpose for my mentioning Florida is that the OP mentioned warm weather year round that doesn't require a heater. Nowhere in North Carolina offers this. Now I'm sure the shills will say I'm lying about this, too.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:46 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,875,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The OP would do well to know that these type of forums are chock full of shills for realtors. Especially for areas near the beach that tend to attract transplants.

North Carolina as a whole does not rank well in education and what good schools it does have tend to be located in the centers of industry such as Charlotte and the Triangle.. NOT in coastal small towns. Now if someone were relocating from the Deep South then these areas may seem like a step up.

The purpose for my mentioning Florida is that the OP mentioned warm weather year round that doesn't require a heater. Nowhere in North Carolina offers this. Now I'm sure the shills will say I'm lying about this, too.

While I can agree that in general that Eastern NC does not have the best education. I 'm more intimately aware of this than most, having had worked with schools in Duplin, Wayne, Lenoir, Greene, Johnston, and Pitt County for several years. But to say none of the small towns have good schools is still wrong, though you can count them on one hand. It may be no coincidence that the best school systems on the coast are the ones with the most transplants/tourists (Craven, Carteret, Dare, Pender, and New Hanover).

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 AM

2,428 posts, read 3,419,684 times
Quote:
While I can agree that in general that Eastern NC does not have the best education. I 'm more intimately aware of this than most, having had worked with schools in Duplin, Wayne, Lenoir, Greene, Johnston, and Pitt County for several years. But to say none of the small towns have good schools is still wrong, though you can count them on one hand. It may be no coincidence that the best school systems on the coast are the ones with the most transplants/tourists (Craven, Carteret, Dare, Pender, and New Hanover).
Completely agree...the best schools hug the coast. And there are lots of folks in Raleigh and Charlotte that try to act like they are the only one's with good schools.

That's NOT the truth...when you look at the best schools rankings most of them are charter type schools...which are not really comparable to public schools that enroll everyone in their designated district.

And I'll give a specific example...New Hanover is considered by many to be the most undesirable High School in New Hanover County (hence why it is open enrollment)...but if you compare New Hanover to the undesirable high schools in Raleigh or Charlotte, like say Garner or Garinger, then New Hanover wins hands down...its all relative.

As well, school rankings don't always keep up...many of the school rankings folks look at are 2-3 years old, sometimes more. Changes in the district, new schools, and influx of transplants can have an affect on the rankings.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:49 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,589,989 times
Quote:
Even these jewels that you can count on one hand may be underwhelming depending on where the OP is coming from. A New Englander may consider many of the schools in the counties you mention to be on par with "inner city" schools. Even if some of the teachers are good, it's difficult to teach a class when a large proportion of the student body is apathetic, disruptive, and most likely headed for prison. The threat of crime and violence at places such as these is very real, and many of them have employed full time police officers for years.

I would encourage the OP to visit and see if these areas meet their requirements rather than listening to a few people debate something on a forum.

As some other posters suggested, don't arrive without a job because for what jobs there are, there is stiff competition and I imagine the good ole boy system is a strong determinant for many of them! Good luck!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM

11,343 posts, read 20,058,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Walk or bike to everything you need? Good for you! It IS possible. We're in Beaufort (population 5500).
So, you see, car-free or reduced driving can be done. We're down to one car, from two, but have 5 bikes!
Do you have kids in school? If so, what do you think of the Beaufort schools?

Old Today, 09:05 AM

7 posts, read 193 times
The school part varies not only state to state but county to county too. I know Pender County has what they call year round schools, which their schedule is very confusing if you're not use to it.

Stick with finding the best job rather than school. I would be looking for an area with at lease 2 of the same type just in case (2 elementary 2 middle 2 high). Just in case you don't like the 1st one.

I used to live in Duplin County; lived there for 7 yrs; had about 4 winters with snowfall (1 of which lasted about a week), but always had heaters on. Between October to February or March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina