Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM

51 posts, read 82,872 times

Advertisements

Hi!

So I'm currently living in Greensboro NC moved here from Ohio 2 months ago. My fiances work is in Greensboro but we are looking to relocate to the coast. We DO NOT like Greensboro. We've been to Wilmington and loved it, but our looking for a nice low crime area with good schools. We have two children so have to have a nice community for them, also a fun area for us to do stuff too. Would like to live within a half and hour of Wilmington. We will be renting a house when we get there and eventually buying. Looking to spend no more than about 1200 a mnth for rent. Can someone please give advice, preferably someone who lives there or has family there?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrated84 View Post
Can someone please give advice, preferably someone who lives there or has family there?
There are highly-rated schools in Hampstead. However, there are many nice communities in Wilmington. Pender County and Brunswick county also have many family-friendly areas.

However, your priority should be to locate a job for one of you before you move, then determine where to live.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 82,872 times
Well I am in the medical field and my fiance can transfer to a office in Brunswick county. That being said our options are pretty open with Wilmington surroundings, just trying to get input on the best choice and not just by what looks nice.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Can someone please give advice, preferably someone who lives there or has family there?
yes

Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Live in Wilmington...and if you live outside of Wilmington...you want to be at least 15 minutes from "a" beach, which is a huge recreational opportunity for kids who live there.

That's the easiest rule to go by. For all intents and purposes the schools will be good if you are within 15 minutes from a beach.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Well I am in the medical field and my fiance can transfer to a office in Brunswick county. That being said our options are pretty open with Wilmington surroundings, just trying to get input on the best choice and not just by what looks nice.
My primary suggestion is to make your commuting convenient. Depending on where in Brunswick County the office is, I'd suggest living in Brunswick County. For example, if it is in the far south end of Brunswick, for example Shallote, you should certainly live in Brunswick. The main problem with Brunswick County, IMO, is the location of schools. They are spread out, and some elementary school kids have a 10 mile bus ride. I'd suggest choosing a neighborhood that is convenient to both the fiance's office and the kids' schools. Brunswick County is growing and there's a new hospital, so I believe there's a decent market for medical jobs.

However, if it is a convenient drive from Wilmington to the fiance's office, then I would agree with HP91 to recommend living in Wilmington. There are far more amenities, things to do, and the schools are decent. In addition, the market for medical jobs is probably larger than in Brunswick County. I would personally prefer living in Wilmington for the amenities, however, I can't judge what you think is "best" for your family. You may enjoy a more "country" setting in Brunswick County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina