Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,021 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a lot on the SE (ocean) side of Oak Island Drive, about 0.2 miles (1 block) from a public beach access. Our hope is to build a home on the lot in the coming year in time to rent it for prime season in 2021, although we don’t imagine it to be used as a rental property long term - only in the first few years. We would like a home in the neighborhood of 2,000 square feet, two story, 4 bedrooms, with middle of the road finishings. We would love to work within a $250k budget.

What builders would you recommend we speak with and what is a reasonable range on price per square foot in the area to help us set our expectations?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 05:11 AM

176 posts, read 239,676 times
Building at the coast is expensive. Houses are pilings and hurricane proof glass plus lots of extras needed for island building all bring the price up. Cost per square foot will also be based on what type of finishes you want and can vary widely. I think you will either need to up your budget or build a much smaller home. Building supplies costs have really be going up. Also, builders and sub contractors are very much in demand and building can go slowly because of that. I would not be surprised if bids for houses come in closer to $200 or more per square foot. Do you have a house plan you're interested in? Also, make sure the builder you choose is building on the island or has experience with coastal building- and don't necessarily pick the cheapest- sometimes they will end up costing you the most through shoddy work, or adding lots of extras. Make sure that allowances are enough to cover fixtures, etc. Lots of pitfalls in building so pick a reputable builder. Most of the builders I'm familiar with are high end (close to 250 to 300 square foot such as Solstice, George Crane, Barry Martin) so hopefully someone will respond with some other recommendations.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:50 PM

628 posts, read 399,608 times
I agree your budget may be a bit light. Ken Kiser builds a lot of houses on Oak Island and has a solid reputation. Definitely worth talking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina