U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,390 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My wife and I just spent four days in Wilmington, and there is no doubt that we would eventually like to move there. We are looking at a year to two year window, so have some time. We stayed at a wonderful bed and breakfast(The Verandas) at Second and Nun street. Besides the touristy thing, we did get a "lay of the land" in some parts nearby. It appears that from Front St. to about 5th/6th, is a nice area, but once you move from 7th on out, it's not that safe. Lead story on the news was the "gang violence in and around those areas.

So my question is, with a budget of no more than 200k, we obviously can't live in the historic district, but would like to be within 10-15 minutes or so of the water.(Front St area). We didn't get a chance to check the area around the college, or on the other side of Market St., but plan on going back down in February. With the tourist stuff out of the way, we can spend more time looking at the various neighborhoods. We met some of the nicest people duriing our stay, and while we like Chester County, PA, we are looking for a different area to first semi-retire, and then eventually fully retire.

We also realize, and are Ok with the fact that we may have to rent first, and then eventually buy, and would prefer a single family home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown14 View Post
So my question is, with a budget of no more than 200k, we obviously can't live in the historic district, but would like to be within 10-15 minutes or so of the water.(Front St area). We didn't get a chance to check the area around the college, or on the other side of Market St., but plan on going back down in February.
In my opinion, the nicer areas in your budget are east of College Street. You can be 10-15 minutes from the *ocean*, instead of the river. I'd suggest the Mayfaire, Myrtle Grove, or Masonboro neighborhoods or between Eastwood Road and Military Cutoff Road. There numerous condo developments where you could rent. There would be older SFH's in your price range when you want to buy.

If you really want to be on the river side of Wilmington, I'd suggest a condo in the Carolina Beach Road corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Durm
5,875 posts, read 8,844,301 times
Reputation: 6618
I lived in the Princess Place neighborhood, which I think is Wilmington's best kept secret (that I just let out). It's a lovely little neighborhood of 1940s homes with very large backyards ... very, very safe...very close to downtown. I miss that neighborhood, it was just wonderful with friendly people.

it's off 23rd Street between Shirley and Princess Place and also bordered by 21st - other streets are Noble, Klein, Plaza. Houses are very affordable to both buy and rent (I rented mine from a sign in the front yard).

Princess Place Drive is sketchy near 30th, but not where I'm describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I lived in the Princess Place neighborhood, which I think is Wilmington's best kept secret (that I just let out). It's a lovely little neighborhood of 1940s homes with very large backyards ... very, very safe...very close to downtown. I miss that neighborhood, it was just wonderful with friendly people.

it's off 23rd Street between Shirley and Princess Place and also bordered by 21st - other streets are Noble, Klein, Plaza. Houses are very affordable to both buy and rent (I rented mine from a sign in the front yard).

Princess Place Drive is sketchy near 30th, but not where I'm describing.
Speaking of which, here is a listing in that neighborhood...

2317 Princess Place Dr, Wilmington, NC 28405 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here is one in Pine Valley...needs some updating...

522 Jeb Stuart Dr, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here is one in the Audobon neighborhood off Oleander Dr...

4012 Park Ave, Wilmington, NC 28403 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

The Lincoln Forest neighborhood...

3926 Sweetbriar Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

And this is maybe my favorite little historic neighborhood, Carolina Place...here is a small version of the bungalow houses in this neighborhood...(best places are from Wrightsville Ave to the creek)

2206 Gibson Ave, Wilmington, NC 28403 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

So OP should see that there are affordable neighborhoods not far from the downtown historic district...Carolina Place is actually a historic district I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Durm
5,875 posts, read 8,844,301 times
Reputation: 6618
I know that house on Princess Place Drive - that's a very safe block - I. WANT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown14 View Post
It appears that from Front St. to about 5th/6th, is a nice area, but once you move from 7th on out, it's not that safe. Lead story on the news was the "gang violence in and around those areas.
in downtown, i personally wouldn't live east of 4th street, north of market, or south of church -- but that's just me.


Quote:
So my question is, with a budget of no more than 200k, we obviously can't live in the historic district, but would like to be within 10-15 minutes or so of the water.(Front St area).
Oh, you can definitely afford to live in the historic district. the historic district is huge and includes a lot of places in the $30k - $100k range.

Quote:
We didn't get a chance to check the area around the college, or on the other side of Market St., but plan on going back down in February.
Market Street is pretty long, so 'other side of market' is kind of vague
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I know that house on Princess Place Drive - that's a very safe block - I. WANT.
to each his (or her) own, but i don't consider that location to be "very safe." That's waaaaaaay too close to Creekwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Durm
5,875 posts, read 8,844,301 times
Reputation: 6618
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
to each his (or her) own, but i don't consider that location to be "very safe." That's waaaaaaay too close to Creekwood.
Ok, but, I actually LIVED THERE for nearly two years, and you didn't.

Virtually zero impact of/from Creekwood, and you don't even have to drive near Creekwood...I did once just to see how bad it would be midday on a weekend, and was satisfied by my one cruise by that I don't need to go that way again.

Seriously, it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ok, but, I actually LIVED THERE for nearly two years, and you didn't.
i didn't?

are you stalking me?

Last edited by le roi; 10-02-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Durm
5,875 posts, read 8,844,301 times
Reputation: 6618
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i didn't?

are you stalking me?
Heh. OK, it was a guess based on your post...because if you had lived in the neighborhood I described you wouldn't have said it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top