Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 16,991 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My name is Jana, I am 24. My husband (Daniel) I are looking for possible places to relocate. I would like to be an elementary school teacher and Daniel a high school teacher. I am from a coastal town, Torrance, in Ca. Daniel is originally from Caracas, Venezuela but moved to Torrance in 9th grade. (His dad is from CT and wanted to come back to the US)

We have read all the city data.com info for Wilmington and Jacksonville. The weather sounds ideal (to us) and the houses there are beautiful, not to mention huge! It seems like such a beautiful state, from all the pictures we have googled.

1. We would love to visit! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do on a visit to Wilmington to get a feel for what it would be like to live there. Also, places where one could talk to locals, when they are not busy and such. I know that it is a CA thing to keep to oneself and not talk to strangers, and everyone is in a hurry always, but we want to meet some NC people!

2. We prefer Wilmington. However, we are concerned as to why city data says Wilmington has significantly more crime (517) than the US average (321) in 2008....& Jacksonville's crime rate is (283) for 2008. City data has not posted any numbers for the 2009 year though. For anyone whom does live there, does it seem like a city with a lot of crime. Is it a dangerous city? I am very shocked at these statistics. Wilmington seems to be ideal, besides the crime rate.

3. Does anyone know if we would be able to use a CA teacher credential in NC, or should we wait to get credentialed in NC?

Thank you, in advance, for anyone whom takes the time to read all this and give a response!

Jana & Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM

245 posts, read 763,279 times
Jacksonville, while smaller than Wilmington, has a lot of things going for it. Jacksonville is more of a middleclass/working class/ military town. There are many young families in the area due to the (growing) military bases, so teachers should be in demand. I don't know the exact percentages, but many of those families are originally from California. Housing is less expensive, on average, than in the Wilmington area. Nice mix of people, nice beaches nearby, decent amenities... somewhere between the "basic cable" and "family favorites" level. All in all, a nice place if you don't have overly specialized needs/wants.

The following website might be helpful regarding NC teaching credentials:

http://certificationmap.com/states/n...certification/

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 06-24-2010 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 AM

6 posts, read 16,991 times
Thank you for the website link. It is very helpful! ...and for your insight of Jacksonville. I must visit and check it out. I think NC is very beautiful especially the beaches. The styles/ architecture of houses are gorgeous and you actually get a house instead of a condo/ townhouse for a reasonable price, at least compared to CA.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM

14 posts, read 29,064 times
I agree with sleestak, I live in southern end of Jacksonville and visit Wilmington frequesntly. For a family Jville is the way to go, however I suggest staying out of city limits. Richlands is a nice area and very affordable compared to Wilmington.
If you don't mind a drive to go to like Wal-mart and such consider Holly Ridge. They are between Jacksonville and Wilmington and its a nice place. 30 minute drive to Jville or Wilmington

Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 74,091 times
Hello,

I was wondering if you and your husband ever moved out to North Carolina. If so, what has your experience been like? My fiancé and I are considering moving out there the end of next year. We are both in our late 20's and are getting married next year. We are also from Southern California and are looking to find a place that we could establish ourselves and afford to purchase a home and raise a family. Currently, I am an office manager and my fiancé does office/admin work. We were interested in Wilmington because my fiancé wants to be close to the beach so he can surf. Are there a lot of office jobs always available out there? What is the average pay? What would be a close enough town near the beach that isn't so affected by the hurricanes?

Sorry for all of the questions.. thank you!!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,790,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvergara23 View Post
We were interested in Wilmington because my fiancé wants to be close to the beach so he can surf. Are there a lot of office jobs always available out there? What is the average pay? What would be a close enough town near the beach that isn't so affected by the hurricanes?
Some of your questions are discussed in a similar thread. The cost of living may be lower, but basically, the surfing isn't very good, jobs are hard to find and don't pay well, and hurricanes are always a risk even 100 miles inland. So, if you approach Wilmington with no illusions, you might might be able to enjoy living there. Here's the thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...living-nc.html

Wilington's per capita income (according to the C-D profile) is about $28,000. You would have to search a job board like Monster.com to find what office managers with you experience would be paid.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,287,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvergara23 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if you and your husband ever moved out to North Carolina. If so, what has your experience been like? My fiancé and I are considering moving out there the end of next year. We are both in our late 20's and are getting married next year. We are also from Southern California and are looking to find a place that we could establish ourselves and afford to purchase a home and raise a family. Currently, I am an office manager and my fiancé does office/admin work. We were interested in Wilmington because my fiancé wants to be close to the beach so he can surf. Are there a lot of office jobs always available out there? What is the average pay? What would be a close enough town near the beach that isn't so affected by the hurricanes?

Sorry for all of the questions.. thank you!!
As the above poster said, you would do well to look at the other thread. Ive lived in both places and these two places are very different. Generally, Eastern NC makes the most sense for retirees where they can use the equity from selling their home in a more expensive place and move to a cheaper locale. People in this situation don't have to worry about employment or schools.

Wilmington specifically is mostly a service economy and what jobs available are heavily competitive. Also don't discount the southern good ole boy network which is still live and well.

In short, I wouldn't arrive without jobs.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,790,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Wilmington specifically is mostly a service economy and what jobs available are heavily competitive.......
If BVergara23 is still interested in the east coast, I'd suggest looking at the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. The job market is larger and stronger.

From Virginia, one can more easily travel to the Outer Banks, which probably has the best surfing on the North Carolina coast. The OBX juts out into the ocean and has stronger waves than the more sheltered southern NC Coast. In fact Virginia Beach might have better surfing. This map is showing 6 foot waves versus 4.4 foot waves at Nags Head and 5.2 foot waves at Rodanthe: http://www.obxsurfinfo.com/interactive-wave-map/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina