U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 PM

4,015 posts, read 5,062,679 times

Advertisements

Got popped in NC about 1 week ago on 17 where it goes from like 55 to 60 to 65 all up and down the road.
Problem is, my cruise control was set at 67, cop said I was going 76, he then lowered it to 70 (in a 55). I took pictures of my cruise control setting cancelled after he said I was going to 76.
Someone's speed reader wasn't calibrated apparently....
I should have asked to see the radar gun (which I did not).
Fine is $215 if I want to pay it.
Should I fight it?
Should I fib and say he wouldn't let me see the gun?
Does having pix of my cancelled cruise control setting help me? (I'd still be at 67 in a 55, thought I was in a 65)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM

364 posts, read 552,696 times
Get a lawyer and have him appear for you, it seems to work pretty well for a lot of folks in NC. You may end up paying more in insurance costs than you would have paid a lawyer if you go ahead and pay the ticket. I paid a few speeding tickets in the past, figuring I could live them down. When I did go to a lawyer about a later offense, he said, "Always fight it," you never know what will come up later when you'll wish you didn't have that on your record.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
Get a lawyer and have him appear for you, it seems to work pretty well for a lot of folks in NC. You may end up paying more in insurance costs than you would have paid a lawyer if you go ahead and pay the ticket. I paid a few speeding tickets in the past, figuring I could live them down. When I did go to a lawyer about a later offense, he said, "Always fight it," you never know what will come up later when you'll wish you didn't have that on your record.
Any idea what it would cost to have a lawyer appear? The fine is $215.
If I appear in my own defense, anything I can tell the judge to get it reduced so it's not on my record or insurance? (I'm in sales and drive extensively)

Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Any idea what it would cost to have a lawyer appear? The fine is $215.
If I appear in my own defense, anything I can tell the judge to get it reduced so it's not on my record or insurance? (I'm in sales and drive extensively)
Was it the State Troopers who caught you or a local Sheriff or police? Which court would you have to appear in? I'm thinking if it was one of the small towns, you ought to hire a lawyer. If it was a larger place like Jacksonville, the cop might not show up, and/or you might have a good chance of arguing in your own defense.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,507,822 times
When my DH got pulled over on US 24 near I-40 for 70 in a 55 back in 2010, he paid for a lawyer and got the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation (his record was clean other than that one ticket). The lawyer cost him $400 or so, but in our opinion it was worth it as it doesn't significantly shove up our insurance!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:55 PM

I think it was in 2008 I paid a lawyer to appear in Burgaw for me, he got it reduced to a non-moving violation. I'm sorry, I don't recall how much I paid, but it wouldn't have been more than $400. Since I was out-of-state at the time, it was well worth it to me just to save me the trip. It was a "must appear" ticket.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:33 PM

Call up a couple of lawyers and they can probably tell you up front what it will cost. You'll probably receive a bunch of ads; I asked around for a recommendation from friends in the area.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
When my DH got pulled over on US 24 near I-40 for 70 in a 55 back in 2010, he paid for a lawyer and got the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation (his record was clean other than that one ticket). The lawyer cost him $400 or so, but in our opinion it was worth it as it doesn't significantly shove up our insurance!
I wonder if I go in to contest it, show the pix of my cruise setting, (granted, the judge may still say "well, you were still going 67 in a 55?) and asked that based on my clean record and that I drive for my job, about 36K miles/year, that a having it as a non-moving violation would help me in the insurance dept.
I suppose a lawyer is going to do the exact same thing?

I'll call a few and see what they would cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina