U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 PM
 
3 posts, read 18,335 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have applied for a job in Greenville and if I get it will need to move from Pittsburgh within 2 months. My brat dog (she's a psychotic barker) would do better away from others. Desire quiet rural life but not bad commute from VA Clinic. Have lived in city of Pittsburgh, rural North Carolina and semi rural town in Florida.
Have come to realize I am more suited to country life.
Really want peace and not to be near noisy students or in congested city.

Please advise re areas so I can start searching for a house to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,273 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Reputation: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvirgo View Post
Please advise re areas so I can start searching for a house to rent.
I'd suggest look at the roads heading west towards Farmville (but not 264!) and NNW towards Tarboro, since the VA Clinic is on the west side of Greenville. You might look at Realtor.com for houses to rent in a rural setting. Winterville is also nice, but it is very suburban. Washington, NC is also a nice waterfront town, but it is a longer commute, and you would have to drive through Greenville to reach the VA Clinic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 AM
 
1,964 posts, read 2,558,465 times
Reputation: 1894
I agree with the above poster. the NNW and towards Farmville are the few areas that the Greenville Metro area hasn't expanded into. In the past few years when I've been back there Im always shocked by how congested 264 has become. There is a roar of traffic going by at almost all hours. I saw some beautiful large homes (some newer) and even a couple of very old plantation homes on the 121 and 43 around that area.

You didn't mention kids so I'm assuming the quality of the schools in that area wouldn't be a huge issue. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 AM
 
3 posts, read 18,335 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the tips. You are right, no kids coming. I'm 64.
Do you know if the new VA facility that I think I heard about is near the existing one? If it isn't, I need to have the commute reasonable to the new facility.

For now will start looking for:
west towards Farmville (but not 264!) and NNW towards Tarboro.

I have only been to Greenville once for a conference at the hospital so didn't get a feel at all for the city. At the time was working at the Fayetteville VA and living in Lillington where I was renting a farm house. I had researched Fayetteville before coming and knew I didn't want to live there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,273 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Reputation: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvirgo View Post
Thanks for the tips. You are right, no kids coming. I'm 64.
Do you know if the new VA facility that I think I heard about is near the existing one? If it isn't, I need to have the commute reasonable to the new facility.
Quoting from their web site: "Opening in early 2014, the Greenville VA Health Care Center (HCC) will provide primary care, specialty services, and mental health treatment to Veterans in eastern North Carolina. The HCC will be located at 401 Moye Boulevard, Greenville, NC 27834. This is less than a mile from the current VA clinic in Greenville."

There are not a lot of rentals in the country between Greenville and Farmville or Tarboro. The few houses are in the range of $600-800/month. I am not suggesting going inside the town limits as there will be small lots which are not the best place for your dog. If you get the job, I think you can find a good house rental if you are patient. (BTW, I checked Zillow, Hotpads and Craiglist. There are probably scams on Craiglist, so be careful.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,047,749 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvirgo View Post
Do you know if the new VA facility that I think I heard about is near the existing one? If it isn't, I need to have the commute reasonable to the new facility.
The new clinic is about 1/2 mile north of the old one on the same road. Moye Blvd. From points west of Greenville, the new clinic is the same distance and should take the same amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 2,558,465 times
Reputation: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvirgo View Post

I have only been to Greenville once for a conference at the hospital so didn't get a feel at all for the city.

Greenville has grown quite a bit since I lived there some years ago. Every time I'm back, there seems like there is new construction. I would summarize like this:

The local economy focuses around the hospital and the university. Most professionally trained people are affiliated with these institutions. Opportunities with these employers has drawn people from elsewhere and surrounding areas. Some of the surrounding communities like Kinston, tarboro, and wilson have lost population during this period. There is some manufacturing presence, but not a great deal. Years ago, it was considered an underserved area for health care, but it is almost the opposite now.

Increased crime and taxes drove a suburban sprawl towards the South and East. There is a high proportion of people on Welfare and Medicaid. There was a very strong good ole boy network in the old days but this has decreased in influence as the place has grown some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,192,469 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvirgo View Post
I have applied for a job in Greenville and if I get it will need to move from Pittsburgh within 2 months. My brat dog (she's a psychotic barker) would do better away from others. Desire quiet rural life but not bad commute from VA Clinic. Have lived in city of Pittsburgh, rural North Carolina and semi rural town in Florida.
Have come to realize I am more suited to country life.
Really want peace and not to be near noisy students or in congested city.

Please advise re areas so I can start searching for a house to rent.
What would you consider a "decent/doable" commute to the VA center and to Greenville proper? Because of your time in Pittsburgh, it could be closer to 30min-1hr, vs someone from around here, who wouldn't want to travel more than 20min.

I am thinking somewhere close to Washington would be OK for you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 2,044,487 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
What would you consider a "decent/doable" commute to the VA center and to Greenville proper? Because of your time in Pittsburgh, it could be closer to 30min-1hr, vs someone from around here, who wouldn't want to travel more than 20min.

I am thinking somewhere close to Washington would be OK for you as well.
Or Ayden/rural Winterville. Can just use Davenport Rd area to avoid all the Greenville traffic lights to get to the V.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,192,469 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Or Ayden/rural Winterville. Can just use Davenport Rd area to avoid all the Greenville traffic lights to get to the V.C.
On the flip side, Bethel. A straight shot on Memorial Drive. Could use US64 to quickly get to Tarboro or Rocky Mount, or US11 to Greenville.

Most of the development and retail businesses are south of the river though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top