U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 14,120 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a family currently living in Puerto Rico and have been entertaining the idea of moving to the mainland for sometime now.

My job is a virtual office so as long as i have an internet connection and mobile phone i could live anywhere. Have two kids one is 5 the other is 3.

Recently i did a visit to a relative that lives in Jacksonville. I got a flight to Raleigh and then drove down there. I really loved the weather, nor cold or hot and on my way to Jacksonville i saw some beautiful houses surrounded by trees in the open field, just amazing.

Been talking bout it with my wife and are starting our research to see if we move to the NC coastal area mid next year. Don't want to lose the opportunity to have beach close by as we do have in PR

We definitely don't want a big city or crowded place. Small town would be our preference, as long as it has a driving distance walmart/sams and movie tethers we would be fine.

Thinking in renting for about a year to see if we want to settle in and if so, later buy a house. Budget for renting is about 1,200

About schools, i would like to get my kids in public schools, not sure about the public system quality in the area but i guess that EVERYTHING is better than what we have down here in PR.

Any recommendations? I have been reading the forums sometime and think that New Bern may be an option.

We may be doing an exploratory trip early next year but getiing some pointers in advance from you that know the area would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM

11,265 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energumeno View Post
Any recommendations? I have been reading the forums sometime and think that New Bern may be an option.
I'd suggest Swansboro, Newport or Beaufort as better alternatives than New Bern. They are closer to the ocean and have somewhat better schools. Hampstead and Surf City also have very good schools. Hampstead has more congestion, and does not really have a "small town" feel. We enjoy living in Sneads Ferry, but have to drive too far for medical care and shopping.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,826,131 times
I'm sorry, people always talk about Swansboro schools, and the parents are happy with them, but they are not better schools than New Bern. Even the best schools in New Bern are better or on par with the ones in Newport and Beaufort. IN fact, New Bern has greater educational opportunities than Carteret County does. That includes the higher level classes they have at New Bern High, in addition to the special schools like the Early College.People just don't rave about them the same way. The only reason Carteret County schools have the reputation they have on this board above Craven County is because at one point there were several Carteret County Real Estate agents that posted heavily on this forum. Granted there are some bad schools in New Bern as well, but New Bern's population alone is almost four times as much as Beaufort and Newport's combined.

Just check the numbers.

GreatSchools.org Search: carteret county schools

GreatSchools.org Search: craven county schools

I have a friend from Peurto Rico (born and raised, not just a Puerto Rican raised in America), who came to the mainland as Marine, he's an officer. He thought enough of Havelock to buy a house there. He lives on the West side of town where his kids go to Gurganus (9 at great schools as seen in the above link) and Tucker Creek Middle school (8 at the above) in Havelock in Craven County. Havelock doesn't appear to be much on the surface as you pass through going on 70. More than once I heard it referred to as thebest secret in the Marine Corps in regards to raising a family. The whole community is basically centered around youth sports and activities. Horrible place for a single guy but great for families.

Havelock made this list of best places in NC to raise a family based on the criteria of quality of public schools, median home value, ongoing cost of home ownership, average income and economic growth. I'd say the factors that pushed it above it's neighbors in New Bern and Carteret County is the cost of home ownership, income, and economic growth. Housing is more affordable and their are higher income and better employment due to the government jobs at the base. Top North Carolina towns to raise a young family - Triangle Business Journal

Here is an earlier thread about Havelock I responded to:
Havelock or not?

Here is some info about New Bern:
Really liked New Bern

Another thread with information about Craven and Carteret County:
Need Advise - Best Area to Raise Children - Coastal Area

Info on Newport:
Newport/kids/safety/rec...help!

A thread that address some of the cons on moving to the coastal NC:
Taking a chance in moving to North Carolina

I talk more about he coastal schools here in Craven and Carteret:
CT to NC coast

Ignore the fact that this site is for military and register to use it. All of the realtors on it have to be vetted by the base housing offices so it makes it easier to avoid sketchier deals and places. These rental aren't restricted to military. ALos, it allows you to see rentals from several agencies in one place. Set your base to Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry Point or Camp Lejeune and it will give you rentals throughout the area of Coastal NC you're looking at: AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network

IMO, anywhere from New Bern due east is largely the same, so anyplace you find that area withinyou r price range that you enjoy will be good. The closer to the water, the more expnsive the housing, though. Also know that when it comes to purchasing insurance will be much higher in Carteret County than Craven. If New Bern tops your list, I recommend the areas East of New Bern to West Havelock like Brices Creek, Neuse Forest, Carolina Pines, Stately Pines and Tucker Creek. In Carteret County, I'd recommend anywhere in Newport's zip ocde (much larger than just Newport's city limits) and Morehead City. I think Cape Carteret and Bogue BAnks are overpriced, and are more heavily impacted by tourists than the rest. Beaufort is a little too far out for my tastes. I personally don't agree with Swansboro recommendations for families unless you are working in Jacksonville or retired. Outside of that I don't see anything to recommend to families over the alternatives.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'm sorry, people always talk about Swansboro schools, and the parents are happy with them, but they are not better schools than New Bern. Even the best schools in New Bern are better or on par with the ones in Newport and Beaufort. IN fact, New Bern has greater educational opportunities than Carteret County does. That includes the higher level classes they have at New Bern High, in addition to the special schools like the Early College.People just don't rave about them the same way. The only reason Carteret County schools have the reputation they have on this board above Craven County is because at one point there were several Carteret County Real Estate agents that posted heavily on this forum. Granted there are some bad schools in New Bern as well, but New Bern's population alone is almost four times as much as Beaufort and Newport's combined.

Just check the numbers.

GreatSchools.org Search: carteret county schools

GreatSchools.org Search: craven county schools

I have a friend from Peurto Rico (born and raised, not just a Puerto Rican raised in America), who came to the mainland as Marine, he's an officer. He thought enough of Havelock to buy a house there. He lives on the West side of town where his kids go to Gurganus (9 at great schools as seen in the above link) and Tucker Creek Middle school (8 at the above) in Havelock in Craven County. Havelock doesn't appear to be much on the surface as you pass through going on 70. More than once I heard it referred to as thebest secret in the Marine Corps in regards to raising a family. The whole community is basically centered around youth sports and activities. Horrible place for a single guy but great for families.

Havelock made this list of best places in NC to raise a family based on the criteria of quality of public schools, median home value, ongoing cost of home ownership, average income and economic growth. I'd say the factors that pushed it above it's neighbors in New Bern and Carteret County is the cost of home ownership, income, and economic growth. Housing is more affordable and their are higher income and better employment due to the government jobs at the base. Top North Carolina towns to raise a young family - Triangle Business Journal

Here is an earlier thread about Havelock I responded to:
Havelock or not?

Here is some info about New Bern:
Really liked New Bern

Another thread with information about Craven and Carteret County:
Need Advise - Best Area to Raise Children - Coastal Area

Info on Newport:
Newport/kids/safety/rec...help!

A thread that address some of the cons on moving to the coastal NC:
Taking a chance in moving to North Carolina

I talk more about he coastal schools here in Craven and Carteret:
CT to NC coast

Ignore the fact that this site is for military and register to use it. All of the realtors on it have to be vetted by the base housing offices so it makes it easier to avoid sketchier deals and places. These rental aren't restricted to military. ALos, it allows you to see rentals from several agencies in one place. Set your base to Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry Point or Camp Lejeune and it will give you rentals throughout the area of Coastal NC you're looking at: AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network

IMO, anywhere from New Bern due east is largely the same, so anyplace you find that area withinyou r price range that you enjoy will be good. The closer to the water, the more expnsive the housing, though. Also know that when it comes to purchasing insurance will be much higher in Carteret County than Craven. If New Bern tops your list, I recommend the areas East of New Bern to West Havelock like Brices Creek, Neuse Forest, Carolina Pines, Stately Pines and Tucker Creek. In Carteret County, I'd recommend anywhere in Newport's zip ocde (much larger than just Newport's city limits) and Morehead City. I think Cape Carteret and Bogue BAnks are overpriced, and are more heavily impacted by tourists than the rest. Beaufort is a little too far out for my tastes. I personally don't agree with Swansboro recommendations for families unless you are working in Jacksonville or retired. Outside of that I don't see anything to recommend to families over the alternatives.
Wow, great info here!!! Thanks for taking the time to post it, it took me a lot to go thru all of it but now i feel much more informed.

May be going to NC on early December on a exploratory trip and this info will definitely guide me in where to start looking

Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,826,131 times
Quote:
Wow, great info here!!! Thanks for taking the time to post it, it took me a lot to go thru all of it but now i feel much more informed.

May be going to NC on early December on a exploratory trip and this info will definitely guide me in where to start looking

I know you said you previousy stayed with friends in Jacksonville, but on the off chance you're doing the Hotel thing here is thread with reccomndations of palces ot stay while you scout the area. IN addition to the previously mentioned places ou may want to lookk at New Hanover (Wilmington) and Pender (Hampstead) County as well: Hotels on the coast ?

That area would also be close to your friend in Jacksonville, but to the south.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I know you said you previousy stayed with friends in Jacksonville, but on the off chance you're doing the Hotel thing here is thread with reccomndations of palces ot stay while you scout the area. IN addition to the previously mentioned places ou may want to lookk at New Hanover (Wilmington) and Pender (Hampstead) County as well: Hotels on the coast ?

That area would also be close to your friend in Jacksonville, but to the south.
Thanks a lot, i will definitely staying at a hotel this time this is very useful information.

BTW and checking the info of one of the pages suggested, indian trail also seems like a candidate now. I may try to include it on my visit plan

The Best North Carolina Towns for Young Families

Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 PM

BTW and i dont know if this is permited on this site but is any realtor that you would recommend for me to conctact and try to arrange something for my exploratory trip?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:17 AM

11,265 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
BTW and checking the info of one of the pages suggested, indian trail also seems like a candidate now. I may try to include it on my visit plan

The Best North Carolina Towns for Young Families
Huh?? Indian Trail is near Charlotte. I thought you wanted to be near the coast.

Many Realtors are used to dealing with transplants. I would check the ads on Realtor.com, and look for well presented ads, and one whose style you like. (No offense to the Realtors who post here, but some Realtor's ads reveal their lack of competence.) Sorry, but I can't recommend one in my areas.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Huh?? Indian Trail is near Charlotte. I thought you wanted to be near the coast.

Many Realtors are used to dealing with transplants. I would check the ads on Realtor.com, and look for well presented ads, and one whose style you like. (No offense to the Realtors who post here, but some Realtor's ads reveal their lack of competence.) Sorry, but I can't recommend one in my areas.
Yes, that is still the idea, however if i can find a place with good schools, affordable rentals and that is still a small town, i may consider other options

Old 10-25-2013, 11:33 AM

107 posts, read 215,290 times
Hello..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or