U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,826,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I know one classmate from my high-school, a Marine officer, who retired in Jacksonville. He lives in a very nice house near the Jacksonville Country Club, and is involved in volunteering. I also know several other people who retired in Jacksonville after the military. Several neighbors plan to come back to Sneads Ferry after their tours elsewhere. Obviously, some people think the area is desirable.

However, I partially agree with Glamatomic that cultural activities, like play and museums, are lacking.

True, in fact I defended her on this point in a previous thread, wher some took her to mean that ENC had no "culture" and that she was specifically talking about concerts, plays, museums, not the actual clture of the area. That said, which is true for most of ENC, it has more than people know, but you have to actually look for it. It's not really heavily advertised or put out there. Like the Jazz Concerts they had at the country club back at the end of September. Or the comedy show they had at the SNCO club that was open to the public. I attend a lot of concerts and events in general all over NC. One of my Marines from Michigan, who thinks there is nothing in NC asked me how do I find out about all these events after I returned from a show in Raleigh, I answered simply, "I looked". I wonder during her time in Jacksonville did Glamotomic once attend a show at The Legacy Theater Upcoming Shows | Legacy Theater Company or a Jazz Concert https://www.facebook.com/JazzRendezv...eNorthCarolina . Regardless, the OP didn't ask about cultural events, but outdoorsy and community ones, which Jacksonville has in abundance. Still none of Jacksonville's festivals top Wilmington's week long Azalea Festival North Carolina Azalea Festival | Southern Charm in Full Bloom and in Hampstrad, or anywhere in the area really, they will be able to take advantage of what both offer. My only concern with Hampstead, now, would be the number of Parks and Rec activities they have. I honestly don't know the extent. My kids are at the age where school sports and activities are an option, in additon I have the added benefit of Marine Corps Community Service activities. My son played soccer for the base youth league.

Another good resource for Onslow happenings for any who happen to stumble upon this thread:

http://www.onlyinonslow.com/events/

http://www.onlyinonslow.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,511 times
We retired from Lejeune a few years ago. Lived in Hubert for almost 4 years, in the Jumping Run subdivision off of Riggs Road. Absolutely LOVED it! There were many families with small kids there and since there's only about 50 homes in the neighborhood (and no HOA's, thank goodness!), most holidays were cookouts with the neighbors, culdesac parties. It was a bit of a drive to get to Jville but it was worth it. Now, we're in VA looking for something similar, that neighborhood vibe that just feels right. I liked Hubert since it was exactly 12 minutes to get to the Naval Hospital on most days, I watched traffic come in the front gate while i took the overpass on 24 and scooted right past everyone. There's a few things I always recommended to new folks transferring: check out the neighborhood at night, knock on neighbor's doors and ask about their neighbors. For us, if they knew most of them, we were good since it was a social one. Also, find out which gate would be the closest for hubby and take a look at traffic in early am and quitting time. This will help you determine if you want to sit in traffic for an hour or possibly look at coming in a different gate with less traffic to save time and gas.

Good luck on your move!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 42,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynsablonde View Post
Hi all..... we recently got a job offer that would move us across the country. My husband is NOT military but works on military bases. (Military contractor). We have two children under 3yrs old. We want a safe, family oriented area to live near Camp Lejeune. We would probably rent at first. We love the outdoors, camping, fishing, hiking etc... but also would like some insight on which towns offer this as well as good schooling and comminity activities (fairs, carnivals etc...)

Thank you so much for any info on the area

First I just want to say thank you all for all the great info. We just got back from our visit and have narrowed down two areas.
I need help and info on the two different schools in the areas.

Swansboro schools and Dixon schools.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 PM

11,266 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
I need help and info on the two different schools in the areas.

Swansboro schools and Dixon schools.
I know your kids are under 3, and young for school yet. The Dixon schools are OK, and you can read that as faint praise. The Dixon Middle School was built in 1928, and needs to be replaced. There are window air-conditioners, and it looks ancient. However, the voters just voted down a bond that would replace Dixon Middle. The Dixon Elementary School looks physically new, and my neighbors have few complaints about it. One neighbor refused to send her kid to Dixon Middle, and is transporting him 20 miles each way to another district.

I can't comment on Swansboro schools, except to say that they are ranked identically to the Dixon schools by schooldigger.com . In some ways, I like the town of Swansboro better, as it is a cute little town with good restaurants. The Sneads Ferry restaurants are ho-hum by comparison. Perhaps you will be able to visit the schools before you commit to a house.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-23-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 02:41 PM

They are young but we have to think of the future. We were not impressed at all by how run down the dixon ms looked.. and I hated the schools being right on that busy main road. We won't be able to go back again before we take the big move :/

Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
They are young but we have to think of the future. We were not impressed at all by how run down the dixon ms looked.. and I hated the schools being right on that busy main road. We won't be able to go back again before we take the big move :/
I am not sure if you realized it but the Dixon Elementary School is within a short distance of the Marines' rifle ranges at Stone Bay. It's not supposed to be dangerous, but your kids could be hearing rifle fire from their playground. I'd be uncomfortable about that.

I'd suggest you consider the Carolina Forest Elementary School district in Jacksonville. It is the best ranking elementary school in the area on both Schooldigger.com and greatschools.org. The neighborhood is a bit cookie-cutter and bland, but the school is new, and you could live within walking distance of the school. The Carolina Forest houses are built by the same builders who work in Sneads Ferry and the new developments in Swansboro.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-23-2013 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to beat up the Dixon schools, but another neighbor is considering the Infant of Prague Catholic School in Jacksonville rather than Dixon. The IOP is K-8, I think.

I noticed that you husband would be working at Stone Bay. It would be a rough commute for him to come from Swansboro even if he has a base pass to use highway 172 through the base. I guess your best alternative is to rent in Sneads Ferry or Holly Ridge for a couple of years and then make a decision on where to live when the kids are old enough for school. I am leaning toward recommending the Hampstead/Topsail district or the Carolina Forest district for schools, especially if Onslow continues to be unable to replace Dixon Middle.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-24-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I don't mean to beat up the Dixon schools, but another neighbor is considering the Infant of Prague Catholic School in Jacksonville rather than Dixon. The IOP is K-8, I think.

I noticed that you husband would be working at Stone Bay. It would be a rough commute for him to come from Swansboro even if he has a base pass to use highway 172 through the base. I guess your best alternative is to rent in Sneads Ferry or Holly Ridge for a couple of years and then make a decision on where to live when the kids are old enough for school. I am leaning toward recommending the Hampstead/Topsail district or the Carolina Forest district for schools, especially if Onslow continues to be unable to replace Dixon Middle.
I would never put my kids in any type of religous school. So those are not an option for us. We are actually looking at Hubert... there is a new subdivision off pittman (?) .... and then the other is in Holly Ridge....

He knows it would be a commute but he says "if we find the right place then its worth it"... the 172 road through base he said the speed limit would probably be slow so it would just be faster to go the other way. Either way its about a 40min commute from Hubert.... and 15min from the places we are looking at in Holly Ridge.

I'm still doing more research on the schools....
Also.... Jacksonville was not that bad at all....granted we just did a drive through but I only saw one part with stripclubs and a few run down buildings..... we have been many places in the US and there are much worse looking and feeling little cities!! I still don't want to live in Jacksonville.... but the outskirts are nice

Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,826,131 times
Quote:

That is Dixon MS is as rundown as it looks. The County wants to replace it, but it got got voted down by voters in Nov polls this year.

Onslow residents vote down $75-million bond referendum | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12

Swansboro schools, extending to Sand Ridge Elementary in Hubert, all have high parent/student satisfaction but middling test scores. I know someone who taught at Swansboro and enjoyed working there. I think the stats speak more to the educational focus of the students and their families, but I think they have a great faculties and any kid can excel there with involved parenting.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 AM

They would be zoned for Swansboro ES, Swansboro MS, and Swansboro HS.

I have read good thing on the elementary school.

As far as shopping though.... we would have to drive into Jacksonville either way right? We didn't see any stores really in hubery. And saw only one food lion near holly ridge/topsail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina