U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 42,850 times

Advertisements

Hi all..... we recently got a job offer that would move us across the country. My husband is NOT military but works on military bases. (Military contractor). We have two children under 3yrs old. We want a safe, family oriented area to live near Camp Lejeune. We would probably rent at first. We love the outdoors, camping, fishing, hiking etc... but also would like some insight on which towns offer this as well as good schooling and comminity activities (fairs, carnivals etc...)

Thank you so much for any info on the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynsablonde View Post
Hi all..... we recently got a job offer that would move us across the country. My husband is NOT military but works on military bases. (Military contractor). We have two children under 3yrs old. We want a safe, family oriented area to live near Camp Lejeune. We would probably rent at first. We love the outdoors, camping, fishing, hiking etc... but also would like some insight on which towns offer this as well as good schooling and comminity activities (fairs, carnivals etc...)

Thank you so much for any info on the area
Just about anywhere near Camp Lejeune is very family oriented. Single family homes sell between $170K and $320K, or rent from about $900-1700. My town, Sneads Ferry, is small and near the coast. Our development has a day dock where you can fish, a pool, a kids' playground, a workout room and tennis. We are about 3 miles from the ocean. Other towns include Swansboro, Richlands and Pumpkin Center. Also, many parts of Jacksonville are safe, family oriented neighborhoods. There are numerous fairs during the summer and fall.

You might check this web site for rentals: http://www.militarybyowner.com/real_...=NC&F_Base=189
I hope the job offer works for you.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-25-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
The areas to reccomend really depend on your commute tolerance. With being outdoor orientated Swansboro and Hubert would be the best for you, as far as your Husbands commute but still doing the things you love. The area across the bridge into Carteret County, from Cedar Point through Bogue would be better, but would be a longer commute for work and a longer drive to the closest major retail. Better schools though, though the ones in Swansboro aren't bad. These areas would allow your husband to avoid the main gate traffic and use the Hubert or Piney Green gate.

As far as things to take advantage of in Swansboro you have 2ndWind Second Wind Eco Tours Home Page . You also have plenty of places to fish and beach access at Hammocks Beach N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Hammocks Beach State Park . You have a couple of trails very close by at the Croatan National Forest, and many more in throughout the area: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc...48502&actid=50 and National Forests in North Carolina - Tideland National Recreation Trail . And this is just all in the immediate vicinity of Swansboro. That's not to mention the outdoor stuff available on base, in Jacksonville, Bogue Banks and everywhere else in the area.

Here are a few other places within the city of Jacksonville proper and around Onslow to look at. Carolina Forest has the best elementary school in the county and is close to all of the new retail on the Western extension, but the commute for your husband won't be fun depending on his work ours, due to the heavy commuter traffic going to the base in the morning. The area further up Gum Branch road, past Half Moon, whose kids go to Stateside Elementary is another good area with a good school and more quiet. It's about halfway between Jacksonville and Richlands. Bell Fork Elementary is a great elementary school as well, but it serves an older neighborhood, in terms of homes. It is a newer school, though.

A good resource for rentals is AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network . Ignore the fact that it's for military. Anyone can register, it will give you most of an area's rentals in one place, and the listers have been vetted by the base housing office so it's less likely to find scams, as the listers don't want to be banned from doing business with the military.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Also any ideas on where o base your husband will owrk? That can affect reccomndations, for instanc, if he's working at Courthouse or Stone Bay then more focus can be palced on areas south of Jacksonville like Sneads Ferry, Holly Ridge, Surf City, and even Hampstead.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 PM

Unfortunetly we dont know exactly where on base he will be He is not huge on a commute but a nice area will out weigh that.

I have been looking into Hampstead, Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge. Any info on these towns?

Thank you for all the links, I will be using those and doing more research

Also we will be taking a trip out there in a couple weeks to check it out..... Anywhere we should absolutely check out??

Thank you thank you thank you

Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Unfortunetly we dont know exactly where on base he will be He is not huge on a commute but a nice area will out weigh that.

I have been looking into Hampstead, Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge. Any info on these towns?

Thank you for all the links, I will be using those and doing more research

Also we will be taking a trip out there in a couple weeks to check it out..... Anywhere we should absolutely check out??

Thank you thank you thank you
Hampstead will be a bit of a commute to mainside, even to New River. About 30 minutes or so to Stone Bay.

It is the best family place south of Jacksonville and is very convenient to Wilmington, the largest city on the NC Coast. Most young families and young people I've known who live south of Jacksonville find it isolating, though the area between Sneads Ferry and Hampstead is popular with SNCO's and Officers. Topsail allows dogs on the beach year round. Off leash in the off season, (and you cn et away withthem off leash during tourist season). They are building more stuff inthat area all the time, but the chief, really the only cons, are the commute and they may feel isolating for some. You will have to drive into Wilmington or Jacksonville for most things. The same holds true for Swansboro, to an extent, but it's only around 15 - 20 minutes. Even shorter for Hubert. Everything is close enough that whatever the area offers will be available to you no matter where you choose. I live on base on mainside, and the weekends can find me in Wilmington, and Morehead City, if not further out in Myrtle Beach or Raleigh. Commute is the chief reason I chose to live on base. Was stationed at Quantico for 3 years and find my commute from Fredericksburg less frustrating than the commuter traffic on Lejeune.

For essentials, Inside the city limts (though I htink i t's officially out) check out Carolina Forest, outside the city limits look at Swansboro and Sneads Ferry. Outside the county look at Cedar Point/Cape Carteret and Hampstead. Beyomd that use the above rental links to check out places, as stated, as long as you find a house, neighborhood you like, and a commute your husband will accept, wherever you land will be fine. The only area i can say 100% stay away from is New River apartments, or whatever their name is now a days

Old 10-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Just to supplement the comments by macjr82, Sneads Ferry is quiet and friendly, but we have to go to Jacksonville or Wilmington for medical care and major shopping. My neighborhood is about 9 miles from the back gate (or Courthouse Bay area), about 17 miles from the New River Air Station Gate and about 29 miles from the main gate.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM

I addressed your recreational concerns, and schooling but missed the fact you asked about community activities. Not surprising, due to it being the largest city in the East outside of Wilmington (aprrox 1 hr away) and Greenville (1.5 hr away) Jacksonville has the most to offer in commnity activiites, though it may be far less than what you're used depending on where you're from. In fact, this weekend is the Ocktoberfest https://www.onslowco.org/oktoberfest . There's the annual Riverwalk Festival Riverwalk Festival | BOLD of Jacksonville, Inc , The Onslow County Fair Onslow County Agriculture Fair; i, the city participates in National Night Out, https://jacksonvillenc.gov/index.aspx?NID=191, plus there are the MCCS events on the base that are open to the public such as Terror Town that's going on right now Terror Town - MCCS Camp Lejeune , and Jacksonville Park and Rec are always has a slew of offerings https://jacksonvillenc.gov/index.aspx?nid=197 . Another ting I negelcted to mention earlier on the recreation front was all of the parks and trails Jacksonville has. It has 17 parks. Many around the waterways tucked off in corners and nehighborhoods you'd never know if no one pointed them out to you. Like Wilson Bay park, on the water, and it's sister park with the walking trails on the opposite bank. There's also Northeast Creek park, where there are people who play on the ball fields and the park there, but don't realize there's a bunch of nature trails behind it that go by the Creek. In fact there are 17 miles of nature trails in Jacksonville https://jacksonvillenc.gov/index.aspx?NID=210 . As your husband works onbase, even if he doesn't fall ino teh "Authorized patron" category, there are trails there as well, like the Wallace Creek Greenway, and the trails surrounding the Henderson Pond Recreation area, there's also the excellent Onslow Beach aboard the base.

Swansboro has four festivals, an art one in June, Fourth of July fireworks, Mullet festival in October, and the Christmas Flotilla's in November, they are all excellent. Swansboro Festivals

Sneads Ferry has their Shrimp Festival Sneads Ferry Shrimp Festival and Hampstead has their Spot Festival Home What's kind of funny is neither Sneads Ferry or Hampstead are incorporated towns, but Holly Ridge is. But Holly Ridge's population is under 1K, they do Easter Egg hunts, 4th of July, and Christmas, and have a "Art in the Park", day, but don't have a namesake festival like the other places.

I do want to reiterate that no matter where you live you still have access to all of these activities though, as far as festivals. Things like youth sports and some parks and rec events may be limited to residents of the city or county whose tax dollars fund them. Though Hamsptead is smaller than Jacksonville or Swansboro, you are convenient to Wilmington, which has the most to offer on the NC Coast, and you would go to eh excellent Topsail schools. The cons would be limited services and recreation of Pender County (Wilmington is New Hanover, Jacksonville is Onslow) and a commute that is at the edge of reasonable for your husband. This would be amtter of opnion, but many young people find the area between Jacksonville and Wilmington isolating (this includes Sneads Ferry) and get tired of going to Wilmington or Jacksonville all the time.

My personal recommendation is to live at a place you like closest to work, and take advantages of the outlying areas on the weekend. Living on Camp Lejeune, unless I'm going to a park or shopping, most of my weekends are spent outside of Jacksonville. Children's and Art Museum in Wilmington, Newport Flea Mall, Maritime Museum in Beaufort and Fort Macon, and attended the Seafood Festival in Morehead City, all over the past few weekends. Raleigh is a reasonable drive to do from time-time for a day trip as well, as is Myrtle Beach. DC makes a great weekend trip.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Wow I can't thank you enough for all the info. We lived just outside Boston for a few years and loved all the fairs and festivals that are so common on the east coast. We are country at heart so having to drive to a big city to do activities and go to big box stores doesn't bother us.

I havent read anything good about Jacksonville.....other than what you just wrote. I wonder why that is...

We are making a couple day trip out in Nov. To see what we can and check things out.... I'm actually excited to see Wilmington and now Sneads Ferry is sounding like it might be a good spot for our family. Although the only thing I am concerned about is the Dixon schools compared to the Topsail ones...

Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I havent read anything good about Jacksonville.....other than what you just wrote. I wonder why that is...

We are making a couple day trip out in Nov. To see what we can and check things out.... I'm actually excited to see Wilmington and now Sneads Ferry is sounding like it might be a good spot for our family. Although the only thing I am concerned about is the Dixon schools compared to the Topsail ones...
Lots of people will bad-mouth Jacksonville to make themselves sound superior. I admit it is not an attractive city, as it has a lot of modern strip malls with junky advertising. However, there are nice neighborhoods once you get away from the strip malls. Note, that if your's husband's work is near the main gate, you will have to factor in a long wait and congestion getting in the gate. (I am retired, so have no realistic idea how bad it is.)

Since your kids are under 3, you will have a lot of time to decide where they can go to school. You will have to weigh whether the commute time is worth it to live in Hampstead or Topsail. My neighbors don't have major complaints about the Dixon schools.

FWIW, the commute from Sneads Ferry through the back gate is probably much easier than anything through the main gate.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-26-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina