U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 AM

8 posts, read 18,114 times

Advertisements

I've been a long time lurking on these forums but this is my first post. Haven't seen anyone post about Fiber offerings in awhile. I recently had to move back home this past June for a new job in Lumberton, NC. While I grew up here I'm still not a fan of the area, but I was very surprised we would be getting fiber out in the rural areas where I live. Cable and DSL refused to service our area.

So anyways back in October 2010 this got underway:

"Randall Jones, President and CEO of Lumbee River EMC was presented a check in the amount of 19,947,739
from Congressman Mike McIntyre and Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack at a check presentation ceremony, held Oct. 19 at the J.R. Jones grain company in Red Springs. The broadband project will provide advance Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) broadband services via a high speed fiber optic network designed for speed up to 100 megabytes per second to rural end users in our proposed funded service area. Lumbee River Electric’s project stands to benefit approximately 27,000 people, 1,600 businesses, and 100 other community institutions. In addition to the jobs this project will create upfront, it will help drive economic development and create jobs for decades to come."

The lines have been laid out by the road at my location for about 8 months or so. I've contacted them a few times and they say they anticipate offering fiber-to-home services the beginning of 2014!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
that's good. many politicians don't seem to support it, but some of the highest-quality internet service in america comes from municipal providers. its a shame it isn't treated more like a public utility in the urban areas as well.

you don't want time warner, verizon, comcast, at&t, etc. anyway, as they all tacitly collude in price.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 PM

983 posts, read 3,521,232 times
We're on South River Electric Co-op and have been on fiber for 2 or 3 years now. We got rid of Dish Network and went with Star TV (cable ran through on the fiber lines), and bundled our internet, TV, & phone for much cheaper than what we had before. I never have trouble with the internet or TV going out anymore!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 AM

Wanted to give a little update on the Fiber network in development down here in Robeson County and surrounding area. I'm pretty sure they got tired of me calling and posted an update a couple of days ago on their website (Post below). Looks like installations are still on track for March 2014! So close to fiber... so... close.

"It’s hard to believe we are already into the 2nd month of 2014! As I mentioned in earlier messages, the face of the utility industry is changing, so I wanted to take a few moments to give a brief overview of how we, LREMC, is changing as well. We have an action packed calendar for 2014 rolling out many new services and products that will benefit you the member. Our goal is move from what the industry calls the “standard provider” of electrical power to more of a “market advisor” for all of your energy needs. We have a strong desire to become your energy expert!

One of the many new services offered for 2014 is entitled Fiber to the Home. This is a $20 million project designed to provide internet service to members living in funded areas that currently have limited or no internet access. Not only will we be able to provide state of the art internet services, through our partnership with Horry Telephone Cooperative, HTC, we will provide “triple play” services consisting of internet, television, and telephone. Phase 1 of this project is not all inclusive for our service territory as the initial thrust was partially funded by the USDA to help in unserved and underserved areas in central Robeson County. Phase 2 of the project including expansion in other areas of the service territory will be based on the success of Phase 1. We have plans to offer Phase 1 services no later than 2nd Quarter 2014.

We are also launching a host of “Home Premise” Services to afford you the opportunity for one stop shopping in several areas. The following services will be launched on or about the listed “go live” dates:

· March 1st – “Moving” service will provide a single point of contact for other utility needs such as water, phone, tv, internet, security, etc.

· April 1st – “In Home Wiring” service will provide a licensed electrical contractor to make repairs at minimal or no cost based on your contract selection.

· May 1st – “Filter Replacement” service will provide monthly replacement of your home filters based on the scheduled manufacturer’s recommended frequency.

· July 1st – “Surge Protection” service will afford you an extra level of repair/replacement protection for your home appliances and electronics.

· October 1st – “Water Heater” service will repair or replace your water heater based on contract selection.

Last but no least, we are piloting a program based on the “Home Comfort” Platform. Millions of dollars annually are being wasted in energy consumption in less than energy efficient homes. This is especially true in older homes that were constructed prior to some of the new energy efficient measures and standards. The new “Home Comfort” service will provide an in-depth and technical study of your home to determine where your energy “robbers” are. The study will then be reviewed with you developing a plan of action to increase the energy efficiency of your home. Our preliminary research with the experts indicates the average monthly homeowner’s power bill can be reduced by as much as 30%. Based on this, a monthly electrical bill of $150 could be reduced by $45 equating to an annual savings of $540.

Yes, 2014 is going to be a very busy year for LREMC! Details of the above stated programs will be available on our website with point of contacts as we move closer to the launch dates. Also, stay tuned to Carolina Country for future more in-depth communications on program specifics. We look forward to the challenges of 2014 as with each challenge exist an opportunity to excel! Our goal is to be your energy expert by meeting and exceeding the demands of the membership. We are committed and focused on success by adapting to continual changes of the industry while maintaining our grass roots heritage. We are and will always be your local cooperative!

Steven C. Hunt"

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
The availability of fiber optics for Internet and TV is a plus for Lumberton. What was the Federal program that provided the $19 million grant?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM

The grant/loan came from the USDA- Rural Development - The Broadband Initiatives Program (BIP) Total came out to $19,947,739 with 75% going to be a grant and the remainder 25% a loan.

Yadkin Valley Telephone also got a pretty hefty loan not too long ago either.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 981,113 times
Does this include the City of Lumberton, or just rural areas? LREMC does not service the city limits of Lumberton with electricity.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:35 PM

I don't believe it covers the City of Lumberton just rural areas in Robeson, Hoke, Scotland, and Cumberland County.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Actually I may be wrong. While driving home north on 301 past the community college I saw some lines (which looked like the new fiber lines we have out here in the boonies) around the first couple of neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure that entire neighborhood lies within the city limits... It's on the edge but it counts I suppose.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
Default Fiber Optics

I just heard on the news this morning that rural areas of Robeson County would be getting internet soon. Will this include the area Southern portion of Robeson going down Hwy 41 South towards Marietta, NC and Lake View, SC? It seems that this portion of the county is always forgotten about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina