U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,555 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, in May of 2013 I relocated to Havelock from Long Island to be with my first boyfriend I reconnected with. I love the area and the calmness of the south. The closer it got to my moving here the worse my distaste for NY grew. I am definitely a happier person now.

My only concern is finding a job. I have worked in NYC's corporate world for 26 years as a legal secretary and have had a hard time securing a job. I had two interviews from firms in New Bern but I think I listed my salary too high, even though I researched what the equivalent to my experience would be in this area. I am saying this because I got a response from both places that they were impressed with my skills but they decided to go with another candidate. So, in that response, I am now willing to go lower on my salary so that I can at least get my foot in the door. I have also applied for state jobs through North Carolina Works and USA Jobs but I am not the type of person to just sit around and wait. I do have some money saved but money only lasts for so long and have two bills I must pay every month. I have my name in with the temp agencies in New Bern as well but no one is calling and it is a bit frustrating. Can anyone suggest what my next step can be or if ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE? Thank you in advance for any advice you provide. Have a great night. PamInHavelock

Last edited by PamInHavelock; 11-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: changed a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM

11,252 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamInHavelock View Post
Can anyone suggest what my next step can be ...?
I'd try legal firms and real estate agencies in Morehead City and Jacksonville. Have you done closings? Are there other skills you could develop, such as selling cars or condos?

Have you researched what a comparable job in this area *actually* pays compared to NYC?

If you really need the money, you can do substitute teaching. In Onslow County, you don't even need a college degree to be a substitute.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,552,990 times
The job market was never that great in ENC, even when the economy around the rest of the country was good. This can be attested to by the level of poverty you see when you look around. It might also have to do with the fact that you are competing with many other military wives in the area.

Decent jobs with the state are coveted and can be pretty political. In fact, it is the life's aspiration of some to obtain a job with the state to sit on their posteriors drinking Mountain Dew and eating Funyons all day.

Most people who post here looking to relocate are told to check out the job market first before arriving. The substitute teaching idea posted above may be an option, but be aware that the student bodies of some of those schools will be ghastly. Can your recently reconnected beau do anything?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM

This is a response to both of you who responded to my post.

RoaminRebel - I knew that finding a job would be a challenge but never knew how much it would have been. As far as looking for a job before moving here yes I did and applied to a position but heard nothing from them. I figured that I would be able to easily find something with my experience. I was told by someone of the "good 'ol boy" network but I dismissed it. I guess that is true as I have heard it from my bf's co-worker's wife. My bf was a Marine and was picked up by the government 20 years ago and works on base, but he does not "know anybody" who can get me in so I am going at it solo. When hired I am not one to sit on my butt and do nothing, that is not how I roll so if I am picked up by the government they will get their money's worth out of me. I understand about the competition with military wives. I guess I should say that even though I am not married to him that he is an ex-Marine working in the government on my next application in New Bern or Morehead. Tomorrow night I am going with him to the Marine Corps. Ball and perhaps we will sit with some people and make new friends. Who knows

goldenage1 - I was legal assistant/secretary to bond counsel have done many closings in my last job. I will reach out to real estate firms and submit my resume. Unfortunately, I do not have a teaching degree or anything of the sort. I went to a business college right out of high school and began working in 1986. In response to my researching salaries comparable to what I was making in NYC, yes, I did my research. I have 26 years experience working in an office and that is what I compared it to, but I guess even the $45,000 a year salary with me doing the same work, was too much for a well-known law firm that is near Craven College.

But thank you both for your valuable input.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:18 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,552,990 times
Here are a few tips that I hope can help.. and again they are generalizations but here goes:

-There are events in every region's history that have for a large part defined it: for the West it was the adventure and pioneering, for the North it was commerce and industry, and for ENC and the South it was the Civil War. Understand there is to this day cultural baggage about this.

-don't speak or move too fast when you talk to them, try to match their speed. This also applies to your work proficiency as well.. you want to "fit in" and do as your management wants..

-engage them in small conversation prior to discussing business

-they are frequently late, accept this. absenteeism may increase during hunting season.

-understand that politeness and friendliness aren't the same thing. they might do bad things to you, but they always said yes sir/ no sir and thank you...

-they can be judgemental, you may be stereotyped based on where you came from and your circumstances. Do not mention anything about yourself that may run contrary to someone's view of "family values"...

-network, network, network..

-oh and one more thing, it's not "ex" Marine, its "former" Marine.. they're kinda persnickety about that!!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
New Bern paper, jobs location New Bern, this morning;

Admin Assit in MHC
Legal Asst in Greenville

If you have the time, just go from door to door in New Bern lawyers offices and asking if they know of any openings. You can cover them all in a morning, and all they can say is no. Leave a card or name and address. A little aggressive, feet on the street searching, might pay off. Try the same thing in MHC, it is more spread out. Though the base "is not hiring" a teacher friend of mine, just got a job within 2 weeks of applying.

I would not focus on salary. Jobs pay much, much less down here than about anywhere. I know it is tough, but if you want a job, I would not list much over bare minimum. Minimum wage plus some percent.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,511,492 times
I was honestly horrified by how low salaries were in ENC when I first moved there. With a stable corporate work history and Masters degree, I thought it would be easy to find work.

Not so much!

However, as soon as I stopped disclosing my salary expectations and stopped expecting a salary anything close to what I was accustomed, I did find a job. Mind you, it paid less than I had been paid anywhere else, a lot less, but it was a job and income.

The irony is, within a couple of years when I was doing HR for that workplace, I used to put applications whose salary expectations were considerably higher than what we paid, to the bottom of the pile because chances were, they'd be offended by the payscale of the company I worked for, or refuse the job when the issue of salary arose (it did happen), which wasted both our time.

It is far wiser to just say Neg on applications in the expected salary field!

Good luck to you and I hope you find something soon!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 PM

Thank you all for posting to my post. I did go around New Bern back in July and handed my resume to firms personally. I also tried to slow my speech down and also listened to the one person at the second interview I had. We never got to the point of the job duties but I did interview for a corporate paralegal job so I kind of knew what the job would entail so I just let her talk. I was invited back for a second interview but was not selected, probably because I put my salary requirements down of what I thought they were paying people with my experience at their salary level. Lesson learned, go 10K lower, at least. :-/

Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamInHavelock View Post
I guess even the $45,000 a year salary with me doing the same work, was too much for a well-known law firm that is near Craven College.
Uhm......yeah. Law firms around here don't pay well. You'll be lucky to get $9-10/hr--no health benefits. And that's if your fortunate enough to even find a job. You may want to look at Greenville or Jacksonville.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,378 times
There was a story in the Charlotte Observer yesterday that said one of the main reasons NC continues to have a high unemployment rate is the continued high amount of people who continue to move to NC that are unemployed and remain unemployed.

The competition for jobs is very high. Especially for people that are from out of state of move here and say "ok, give me a job!"

So to move here without a job is not a good idea unless you just plan on moving to retire or something similar.

Not only do you have to compete with people born and raised here (that have the networking and connections thru family and friends), you must also compete with recent grads and people in the same situation as yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina