U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 03:20 AM

44 posts, read 150,089 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate from New England---but can't decide on NC or SC.

NC - looking in Jacksonville area
SC - looking in either Irmo/Columbia area or Charleston area

what are pluses/minuses of each area?

I need an area with good schools for a child with special needs.

Being from CT and living on coast, I think that knocks Irmo out, although I was there this summer and liked it, but it is too far from ocean. So I'd need a compelling reason to move to Irmo---yes, we went to some big lake, but it felt like bath water, especially since it was 102 outside!! In CT, we only have Long Island Sound, so it's not the Atlantic Ocean, but that's much better than a lake!

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Patty in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 05:58 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,698,109 times
Dear Patty,
Wilmington, NC, is close to Jacksonville, NC, and you will like Wilmington much better, fair-sized town with historic district, university, and beaches.

Now, Charleston, SC, is a larger and more Southern version of Wilmington, and much better than living in Columbia, SC, since you like coastal living. People from all over the South visit there because it's such a nice destination. Charleston has a large historic district with horse-drawn carriages, hospital complex, university, river activities, many beaches.

If you like a smaller town, Summerville, SC, is near Charleston, the two-lane road from Charleston to there is lined by old oak trees with moss.
GG

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,573,185 times
I"m not from the area, but my brother teaches school in Jacksonville. I visited from Ohio this summer and was not impressed at all. For a growning area it looked like something right out of the rust belt (i would know, i live here!). Wilmington was nice, but it's a good hour away. Also, it didn't seem like there was a lot to do there. Besides going to the beach it seems like you have to drive to the triangle or wilmington to find things to do.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 PM

713 posts, read 3,473,270 times
Smile Depends on what you want in an area

Quote:
Originally Posted by pminct View Post
I'm planning to relocate from New England---but can't decide on NC or SC.

NC - looking in Jacksonville area
SC - looking in either Irmo/Columbia area or Charleston area

what are pluses/minuses of each area?

I need an area with good schools for a child with special needs.

Being from CT and living on coast, I think that knocks Irmo out, although I was there this summer and liked it, but it is too far from ocean. So I'd need a compelling reason to move to Irmo---yes, we went to some big lake, but it felt like bath water, especially since it was 102 outside!! In CT, we only have Long Island Sound, so it's not the Atlantic Ocean, but that's much better than a lake!

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Patty in CT
We live about 25 minutes from Jacksonville near Emerald Isle.

It is an area of small towns and many people who find their recreation in the out of doors. There are many festivals and events during the year which bring everyone together.

It is not particularly easy to find a job, and some folks who are looking for a lot of night life would likely be disappointed with the area.

However, many of us (even new residents) love the area and would not live any where other than along the Crystal Coast.

We have uncrowded beaches minutes away, some of the finest fishing, and best shallow water boating in the world. We live in an area where natural beauty is never very far away.

It is an area which is changing rapidly, especially in the Cape Carteret area, and over time I believe it will become an even more attractive area or I would not have moved here 15 months ago.

I have lived in many scenic places including in Nova Scotia and on a mountain in the Roanoke Valley of Virginia. I have visited many more, and I have not found a better one than where I am.

You are not going to find nicer people than those on the Crystal Coast. It is a low crime area with very good schools, reasonable housing prices, and low taxes.

The climate is outstanding. I am only three days away from being able to say that I have picked a tomato off of an outdoor vine in December.

Check out one of my websites for more info, the portrait of our first year, and pictures of the area.

I am always happy to talk to someone interested in living near the coast.

Just Google me or check one of my sites for contact info.

-David Sobotta

PS- I have heard it said that if you like a place in the rain, you will love it in the sunshine. We had a rainy day recently, and the scenery was still pretty nice.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM

713 posts, read 3,473,270 times
Smile Of course it looks better in sunshine

The view is even nicer with some sunshine.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 AM

44 posts, read 150,089 times
Well, my brother has lived in Jacksonville for last 15 or so years---he is a retired Marine. I've visited there, but never thought of moving there. I wonder what kind of IT jobs are there, as it is mostly a military town.

So I thought Wilmington would have more civilian jobs? But I don't want to live "in" the city, but only a short drive away. I am spoiled now living in Fairfield, CT, a 2 minute drive to the water (a local lake) or a 10 minute drive to Long Island Sound, and only a 7 minute drive to work all on back roads!!

I assume I need to work in a bigger city such as Wilmington, but I want to live in the suburbs, but also want a short drive to work??? I know I'm asking for a lot!!! But I've got it pretty good here at home in CT; unfortunately, taxes, utilities, etc., keep rising, and salaries don't; also my company is going to be moving in next few months (should be fairly local, but at least 20-30 minutes farther than where I drive now). So I'm tempted to pack it all in here in CT and move south, where it's warmer!!!

What is on the outskirts of Wilmington? How long is the average commute? How are the schools? What is avg. home price?

I need to find an affordable area, with a good school system that helps children who need special services, such as extra help w/ reading, etc., as well as an area that has a bustling job market in the IT field.

Anywhere south of MD sounds good to me---so any advice is appreciated!

Patty in CT

Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 AM

50 posts, read 222,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pminct View Post
Well, my brother has lived in Jacksonville for last 15 or so years---he is a retired Marine. I've visited there, but never thought of moving there. I wonder what kind of IT jobs are there, as it is mostly a military town.

So I thought Wilmington would have more civilian jobs? But I don't want to live "in" the city, but only a short drive away. I am spoiled now living in Fairfield, CT, a 2 minute drive to the water (a local lake) or a 10 minute drive to Long Island Sound, and only a 7 minute drive to work all on back roads!!

I assume I need to work in a bigger city such as Wilmington, but I want to live in the suburbs, but also want a short drive to work??? I know I'm asking for a lot!!! But I've got it pretty good here at home in CT; unfortunately, taxes, utilities, etc., keep rising, and salaries don't; also my company is going to be moving in next few months (should be fairly local, but at least 20-30 minutes farther than where I drive now). So I'm tempted to pack it all in here in CT and move south, where it's warmer!!!

What is on the outskirts of Wilmington? How long is the average commute? How are the schools? What is avg. home price?

I need to find an affordable area, with a good school system that helps children who need special services, such as extra help w/ reading, etc., as well as an area that has a bustling job market in the IT field.

Anywhere south of MD sounds good to me---so any advice is appreciated!

Patty in CT
Hi Patty, and welcome to the NC forum. I too visited the coastal area of NC, and purchased in a little town called Southport. I do a great deal of traveling around the country, and have lived in many areas. My suggestion is to do your research and prioritize your needs first. You mentioned about a child with special needs, does your current school system offer any relocation advice? I'd start there. As far as a bustling IT job market, start researching the Wilmington Star news. I found that the majority of employers in this area are somewhat behind the national average regarding salaries, however a new Company has just relocated there, called PP&D, I believe, and they were doing a great deal of hiring. You will have to check them out on the internet. I don't know that much about them.
As far as communities outside the city, there are many. You have the Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure Beach area, and then south of the city there is Leland, and the coastal islands of Oak Island, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, etc. Your commute time will vary, depending on where you choose to live. I even met one person who commuted every day from Myrtle Beach to Wilmington.
Housing prices are still affordable, depending of course on the location and proximity to the ocean. The closer to the ocean, the higher the prices, hurricanes or not, everyone wants to live close to the ocean. Taxes are way low, and they get reassessed every 4 years. Housing prices vary. Pull up Trulia on the web, their info. is pretty accurate.
This area is by no means a thriving metropolis, but it offers a wonderful quality of life, if you like living close to the water.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:26 PM

915 posts, read 2,313,046 times
PPD is a pharma company that has been in Wilmington for many years. Lived there and worked in IT for six years in Wilmington, there's not a whole lot of jobs available there, but you may get lucky and find one.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,279,418 times
Not to be totally out there (but this is) - I read this board because we are thinking about moving to NC. Currently in NoVa and that might actually be something that is more up your alley? IT jobs and special education: you might find more in this area? Sorry, it's not NC, but it's warmer than CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina