U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 10:55 AM

50 posts, read 92,841 times

Advertisements

Can anyone inform me on the status of Carteret County Speedway? DH and I went to a great car show/open house a few seasons back (even saw Junior Johnson and Harry Gant) and were really excited to think we could visit a track when we were on vacay at the beach. Their website has disappeared and I fear for the worst. Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach50 View Post
Their website has disappeared and I fear for the worst. Any info appreciated.
Their Facebook page says permanently closed.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,819,482 times
Where exactly will you be vacationing and waht exactly is your interest in the speedway?? There are other Speedways in the area, and of them all Carteret got the least use, most likely contributing to it's closing.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM

My husband's number one sport is racing of any kind, 2 or 4 wheels. We are the anti-football family. LOL So, when vacationing on the Crystal Coast, it would have been cool to pop over the bridge and visit Carteret. Anything racing on that track would have satisfied us. I kept up with them, noticing they proceeded to pave it, and after being there it looked like it was going to fly and would have been very nice. Not a follower on Facebook, so I did not see where it was permanently closed. Sad. Are there other such local, smaller tracks that we can get to relatively close from the Crystal Coast?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,819,482 times
Coastal Plains in Jacksonville. Roundtrack race season is May thru September, but people might still be out there putting there cars through the paces. It's outside of Jacksonville, between it and Richlands.

Coastal Plains Raceway. Jacksonville,N.C.

The dragstrip, at the same place, has races year round.

Coastal Plains Dragway. Jacksonville,N.C.

Don't know exactly where you're vacatioing on Bogue Banks but about 35-45 minutes depending on where you're staying. Most of the time spent passing through Swansboro, and the lights when you first enter Jacksonville. With bypass the rest is pretty much open.

edit:

I know it's a totally different vacation vibe, but there is the speedway down in Myrtle Beach, if you're interested in vacationing there. Myrtle Beach is where the people around here that live at the beach go for beach vacations.

http://www.myrtlebeachspeedway.com/

Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Thank you for the info. We will certainly check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina