U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,220 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to live in NC near the beach with a lot of activities for a young couple with young children? My husband and I are thinking about relocating once he gets out of the army. I am a nurse so being able to find a job easily is important. We would just love to live a laid back lifestyle where we can go to the beach whenever we want. We know we want to reside in NC, we just don't know where. We were thinking New Bern but it seems a little far from the beach and not much to do there. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,823,111 times
All the communities along the coast are family/youth based so they all have very active park and rec departments and very active sports, clubs and extracurricular activities at the middle school and high school levels. New Bern does have water access at the rivers and places like Flanners Beach (Neuse River) are better for the very young to play in versus the ocean. Nursing is a popualr occupation around here, the community colleges can't even meet eh demand of the students, though due to the large retiree population there is a market for them even outside of just the hospitals. What is your husbands job in the Army and what does he plan on doing when he gets out. How much are you looking too pay for rent and how many bedroomd? A better reccomndation can be given witth more info. It's easy to say "Hampstead", but Hampstead may be out of your price range. If you're already looking at New Bern follow highway 17 south to Wilmington. Everything East of that line will meet your requirement, skipping over Jones County (Pollocksville/Maysville), though there are areas of Onslow with Maysville addresses. The most desirable locations (and thus the most expensive) will be in Carteret County, Coastal Pender County, and New Hanover. I don't know about family activities south of Wilmington in Brunswick County, but do know the majority of that counties growth has come from retirees. Just about anywhere in Craven, Carteret, Onslow, and New Hanover will be fine as long as you find employment. Dare, though not the area you were looking at,is another great coastal choice.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 21,220 times
Thanks for your response! My husband plans on either going back to school to become a paramedic or go the police route. He's not sure yet. Our price range to rent would be $900-$1100. We plan on buying a house after we know for sure that's where we want to be. We're from virginia beach and love everything it has to offer such as the beach and a lot to do such as sports events and great restaurants but we just don't want to settle down there.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,823,111 times
You and your husband can use this site to scope rentals. Use MCAS Cherry Point, MCB Camp Lejeune, or CG Sector North Carolina (Wilmington) for your installation. This will give you rentals from New Bern south past Wilmington in all of the aforementioned counties and probably Brunswick as well.

AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network

Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,428,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortgies View Post
We know we want to reside in NC, we just don't know where.
This is the part that doesn't make sense to me...if you don't know where you want to live, how do you know for sure that it's in NC? Maybe the "perfect place" for you is not in NC? What makes you decide on NC but have no idea of anywhere in the state you like? I can't quite imagine picking a STATE but not knowing anything about the places within that state?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM

269 posts, read 348,702 times
Emerald Isle/Swansboro are great places. Depends what you're into.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,750,911 times
I think the best part of NC, bar none, is just a little west and north of Winston Salem. Access to all the amenities, fresh air, reasonable temps, access to mountains, easy, but boring drive to the coast.

I made a poor choice moving to near the coast. But can't dig my way out of the hole.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina