U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times

Advertisements

A group of residents have sued Fairfield Harbour attempting to get out of paying HOA fees. A judge ruled against them in September of 2013. Now they are facing foreclosure over the unpaid dues. Article here: POA dues issue could lead to home foreclosure | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12

Frankly I do not feel sorry for them. When you move to a community with an HOA, you have to pay the fees, regardless of whether you agree with the way they are spent. The fees are not even that bad at $659/year per lot or home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:56 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Geez! This has been in the news for years. Sounds like just a little adult supervision is needed. Is this the golf course dispute in different colors, or is this another, devicisive issue?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Is this the golf course dispute in different colors, or is this another, devicisive issue?
I don't have the patience to wade through the legal papers, but it newspaper includes this: "Bettis' argued that Fairfield Harbour is not one but two neighborhoods separated by Broad Creek Rd. Some people living in the neighborhood feel dues collected from the West side of the community were used in East side improvements. However, the judge ruled Fairfield Harbour as a unified community."

Since the two golf courses were east and west of Broad Creek Road, they may be relevant. However, as I understand the one operational golf course, Harbour Point, is independent and has no connection with the POA.

At any rate, I believe the people protesting the POA had no legal grounds for withholding their dues. If their fees went up 50%, that's just the cost of living in an aging community that needs maintenance. On the whole I am glad we decided against living in Fairfield Harbour.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
I feel sorry for all involved. What a mess. And it is such a long , deer infested, trip to anywhere even in the best of times.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM

8 posts, read 14,078 times
Default Sorry, GoldenAge, you missed a great place!

Fairfield Harbour is a terrific community "blessed" with a small number of unhappy property owners(less than 2%), some of whom thought our community effort to clean up after Hurricane Irene shouldn't be shared. They tried to claim FH was really two communities, with the original side divorced from the newer side. The judge not only "tossed" the case, but assigned them our court costs, as well. And, no, this was a separate issue from our plan to purchase our amenities. But, all is resolved -- in favor of the community.

The golf course is in great shape and getting better every day, thanks to Billy Casper Management. We have loads of activities, golf, tennis, boating, a theater group, fitness and dance classes, a fishing club, a yacht club (access to blue water), bridge, etc., lots of volunteerism within the community and in nearby New Bern, but, most of all, we have a caring, friendly, active community of 2800 and more than 98% of us wouldn't change places for the world! CAI-NC's Best Large Mixed-Use Community an unprecedented two years in a row. What community can match that?

So, if you turned down Fairfield Harbour, you missed out!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 PM

120 posts, read 184,477 times
"Happy" has published a factually incorrect posting above. What I do not know is whether this is a deliberate publishing of false info or a totally misinformed person who publishes without due diligence of the included information?

Suggest a read of the "New Bern -- Fairfield Harbour" thread for more info on the subject.

Pete Drez

Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
As a recent buyer into FH Community, I have not had the privilege of meeting you Mr. Drez. Prior to joining in with any comment I have made it a point to read your comments to gain clarity as to understand your harsh and extremely negative comments about the community in which you reside. I had 'heard' about the unpleasant 'gossip' that was being handed out prior to actually closing on my house. I, therefore, researched thoroughly
about these negatives and positives that was going through the community - and fortunately 99.9% of the people my husband and I made a point to 'interview' were extremely positive and 'put out' by your comments.

My question to you Mr. Drez is WHY, particularly after having lived in "7" different communities with POAs that have all been so superb to what FH has to offer, do you continue to live here? According to our directory, you have resided here since 1998. Isn't that a lot of punishment to yourself (& your family)?

Constructive criticism is certainly appreciated and does your fellow community residents a world of good - not to mention people inquiring about FH. To purposely attempt to sabotage a community when you prefer to maintain residency within its borders is rather incoherent and diminishes what you say. Furthermore, to deny that the rulings by the Judge regarding the lawsuits were ruled in FAVOR of the POA Board, in addition to a TOTAL DISMISSAL of another case to even be heard is so ungentlemanly for a Southerner residence. This is your community too, and sincerely believe if GoldenAge is not known by you, not only should you recant your negativity toward FH, but realize that you can improve your heart rate for maximum longevity, maintain much better emotional clarity in the midst of the finalization of the former chaos, and much more important - you may be able to 'achieve peak mental and intuitive performance' by creating more pleasant thoughts. (A great reference for this is: "The HeartMath Soultion".
As to GoldenAge and any other person concerned about the health and well-being of Fairfield Harbour - we are just fine ... we would put our house on the market if this wasn't the case and/or would have never moved here in the first place. We welcome all the good people out there to come visit and to TALK with every resident you come in contact with ... that way, you can make up your own mind.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,258,759 times
I think it's time for this thread to be retired - spammers/trolls

Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 AM

183 posts, read 241,033 times
Well we are coming tomorrow to look at a home on Caracara .I will give it a second look.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 PM

120 posts, read 184,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayinObjective View Post
As a recent buyer into FH Community, I have not had the privilege of meeting you Mr. Drez. Prior to joining in with any comment I have made it a point to read your comments to gain clarity as to understand your harsh and extremely negative comments about the community in which you reside. I had 'heard' about the unpleasant 'gossip' that was being handed out prior to actually closing on my house. I, therefore, researched thoroughly
about these negatives and positives that was going through the community - and fortunately 99.9% of the people my husband and I made a point to 'interview' were extremely positive and 'put out' by your comments.

My question to you Mr. Drez is WHY, particularly after having lived in "7" different communities with POAs that have all been so superb to what FH has to offer, do you continue to live here? According to our directory, you have resided here since 1998. Isn't that a lot of punishment to yourself (& your family)?

Constructive criticism is certainly appreciated and does your fellow community residents a world of good - not to mention people inquiring about FH. To purposely attempt to sabotage a community when you prefer to maintain residency within its borders is rather incoherent and diminishes what you say. Furthermore, to deny that the rulings by the Judge regarding the lawsuits were ruled in FAVOR of the POA Board, in addition to a TOTAL DISMISSAL of another case to even be heard is so ungentlemanly for a Southerner residence. This is your community too, and sincerely believe if GoldenAge is not known by you, not only should you recant your negativity toward FH, but realize that you can improve your heart rate for maximum longevity, maintain much better emotional clarity in the midst of the finalization of the former chaos, and much more important - you may be able to 'achieve peak mental and intuitive performance' by creating more pleasant thoughts. (A great reference for this is: "The HeartMath Soultion".
As to GoldenAge and any other person concerned about the health and well-being of Fairfield Harbour - we are just fine ... we would put our house on the market if this wasn't the case and/or would have never moved here in the first place. We welcome all the good people out there to come visit and to TALK with every resident you come in contact with ... that way, you can make up your own mind.
StayinObjective, welcome to Fairfield Harbour. Good to know that you reviewed my postings, as the whole purpose is to provide FACTS for people to consider about our community. You use the term "comment" which is vague. Comments take one of three forms, facts, opinions, and conclusions. I almost always publish facts. When I do offer an opinion I make it a point to identify it as such.

With that intro let me challenge you to identify any fact that I have published that is false. Please be specific and note the location of the document containing the fact you challenge. Also, please note what leads you to challenge the fact I published.

Next, I do not consider it my obligation to educate persons that publish false facts, as you and many others have. While I consider most of your posting rambling musings, I will comment on anything that comes close to a fact.

-99.9% of the people my husband and I made a point to 'interview' were extremely positive and 'put out' by your comments. I call BS on this! You are starting with a credibility problem. If you want to convince me show me your proof. No survey work in FFH has ever produced a 99.9% consensus.

-Your statements concerning the POA court orders and opinions is wrong, absolutely totally wrong, only demonstrating your lack of knowledge on the subject or worse your willingness to misrepresent the truth. May I suggest some due diligence on what you publish.

And now for an opinion. The persons that are "put out" by what I publish, need to focus on fixing the problems so there are no negative facts to report. Fix the problem, rather than criticizing the person who notes the problem.

Pete Drez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina