U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 20,224 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a Boston native living in LA for a number of years (5 about) and I'm researching different parts of the country to see what would fit me best. Southern California has proven to be too crowded, too expenisive, too dirty (LA anyway) and too far from home. I'm in a serious relationship with a nice girl from Alabama who also wants to leave LA but absolute refuses to move into "Yankee Territory" (ha!) because it's "way too cold." NC seems like a great in between place for both of us and our respective homelands.

Wilmington first caught my eye because it's the closest metropolitan area to the outer banks, and as a life long surfer (even in the frigid NE) the outer banks have always been on my radar. I've always worked in the film/television field, and although I was vaguely aware that NC is a "film friendly" state, I was very excited when I learned that there may be some career opportunity there.

My questions: how's the surf in the Wilmington area? What's the general attitude in the lineup? Any film makers in the area? Anyone work in production in Wilmington or a commutable city? Does Screen Gem's studio hire any Wilmington residents or are they all brought in for shoots? My girlfriend is worried it's a college town, any truth behind that?

If not Wilmington, anyplace else in the Southeast come to mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,279,479 times
If you go to Surfchex.com, you can watch live surf cams of the local beaches-Wilmington area-to give you an idea of the surf conditions, sometimes you can see surfers on the cams, too.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 20,224 times
Thanks Ellise, I'll check it out!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,350,769 times
I wouldn't really call wilmington a college town. wrightsville beach is actually considered one of the surf capitals of the east coast. waves can get pretty big there. actually wilmington isn't the closest metro area to the outer banks. I would say that VA beach/norfolk would be closer. there is just no good way to get there from wilmington. they make lots of movies here but I am not sure if they hire locals or what. I am sure they can't bring in people all the time because they have television shows they film here that require full time residents.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 63,192 times
From what you describe as ideal, Wilmington NC fits the bill. It is not a college town. There are major developments in Wilmington and around Wilmington (Real Estate and Business) that will make this area a magnet for people, like yourself, looking to relocate to a mild climate near the coast. Surf on Wrightsville Beach is typically small compared to OBX. But there are good days. 30 minutes south of Wrightsville Beach is Carolina Beach. There is some excellent surf there, especially after storms have come through. I have seen 6-8' which is good for the area. Also, many surfers paddle over to Masonboro Island, which is an undeveloped wildlife preserve.

The film industry here is one of the best for miles. EUE/Screen Gems [http://www.screengemsstudios.com] has crews who live in Wilmington full-time. It is one of the ways Big Films are brought here (tax incentives and local crews ready to go). There have been major pushes in state incentives to keep the film industry live and well in NC and Wilmington especially. This past year was a big year for the film industry in Wilmington.

Here are a few articles on the Film Industry in the Local Paper:
The Return of Wilmywood
The Film Industry's Affect on Local Businesses
Boomtown Revival: Local Film Production Up
Wilmington Film's Response to Writer Strike

Another Helpful Link (Creative Wilmington)
http://www.creativewilmington.com/results.php?discipline=Film (broken link)

Home prices are very attractive here compared to LA. The market has soften here, but not to the extreme that many other market around the nation has seen. Historic Downtown Wilmington is a popular place to live and there are several new developments that are under construction now.

Raleigh, the state capital, is 2 1/2 hours away via I40 and Charlotte only 4 1/2 hours. Myrtle Beach is only an hour away. And though OBX is a good drive, it is closer than LA. We also have an International Airport.

US Airways did a whole profile on Wilmington. You can read it here (http://www.wilmingtonchamber.org/attachemagazineprofile.html - broken link). I read these articles on a flight to Costa Rica and thought that is where I want to live. I love it so far!

Old 12-29-2007, 02:45 PM

170 posts, read 920,665 times
do people windsurf/kitesurf in wilmington?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 PM

13 posts, read 63,192 times
Yes. My family went to Wrightsville Beach on Christmas day and there was someone out kitesufing. My two year old wanted to run all the way down the beach to watch.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 AM

217 posts, read 1,031,550 times
From what it sounds like your interests are, you'll love it here Definitely, would not call Wilmington a "college town". Yes, we have a great college here but there is way more to Wilmington than UNCW. We have a beautiful downtown area with lots to do, many beautiful beaches, good restaurants, a great airport, etc. It's a very laid back place to live and reminds me a bit of Southern California. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,748 times
You would love it here. I am a native of los angeles and as soon as grad school is over (at uncw) I am moving back to LA or nyc. The climate is great though. I was scared the humidity would be too much but it's fine really and the thunderstorms *amazing*...

Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM

60 posts, read 166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey26 View Post
Wilmington first caught my eye because it's the closest metropolitan area to the outer banks, and as a life long surfer (even in the frigid NE) the outer banks have always been on my radar. I've always worked in the film/television field, and although I was vaguely aware that NC is a "film friendly" state, I was very excited when I learned that there may be some career opportunity there.

My questions: how's the surf in the Wilmington area? What's the general attitude in the lineup? Any film makers in the area? Anyone work in production in Wilmington or a commutable city? Does Screen Gem's studio hire any Wilmington residents or are they all brought in for shoots? My girlfriend is worried it's a college town, any truth behind that?
You didn't state what part of the film industry you were in. However-
I used to live in Wilmington area, and remember meeting two different guys during those years that worked in the film industry. If I'm not mistaken, they worked as part of the camera crew - and yes, they were locals. They also hire locals for extras and small acting roles, as I know a couple of people who were locals and got small parts in films. I, myself, was an extra during some filming - definitely an experience.

I think Frank Capra, Jr. was - and maybe still is - the head of Screen Gems
studio in Wilmington. Several popular tv series have been filmed in Wilmington, such as Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill. I was an extra on Dawson's Creek, and one of the guys I met on the film crew was part of One Tree Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina