U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM

15 posts, read 14,582 times

Advertisements

I know it is another repetitive question, but would appreciate any suggestions for areas to move.

We are married couple in our thirties, planning to have kids. We are looking to move to NC from Long Island, NY. We plan to move in 2015/2016, and hopefully have our parents move closer to us as well in the future when they retire. We are self sufficient, adaptable, have jobs that should be portable, and we do plan to have them before we move, at least one of us would.

We are looking into two things and have the following questions
1. find an apartment complex to invest in (buy), ideally near the hospital and/or university.
- Which areas for students/medical staff/residence would be desirable.
- Do you know a real estate agent that specializes in commercial/residential sales
2. recommendations to move
- good school district, we plan to have have kids
- does not have to within the city itself, but is relatively close
- is within 30 min to R. Catholic church
- properties that are at least half an acre, and older neighborhood, I am not the biggest fan of the new
development. - (by that I mean, regular fireplaces, a lot of established trees etc)
- neighborhood that would be relatively open to newcomers (who are trying to fit in) but have NY/Eastern
European accent.
- Not that far away within 15 min to farm market/or farms, whole foods or trader's joe or any natural food
store.

We are currently considering Greenville, and then around Winston Salem area as Sister in Law lives there. I will be posting a similar question there as well.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
On your #2, what is your price range?

My favorite older neighborhood is Longmeadow, which is off Elm Street and walking distance to ECU, Elm St park and the football stadium....but its pretty pricey.

Besides that I'd consider Brook Valley or Lynndale for older neighborhoods.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Around $200k, however, if the area is in the best school district we would consider going up to around $250k

Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,063 times
If you can't find an apartment complex to buy, there are plenty of townhomes and duplexes for sale; but you'll have to deal with Section 8 going that route. If you can afford it, you could build your own apartment complex. ECU and the hospital get all the attention, but the community college (Pitt CC) in Winterville is growing rapidly. There's not a lot of decent apartments near PCC, so I'm sure their students would appreciate more options to live near their school. I recall reading that Regency Blvd. (a fairly new road) has been zoned for muti-family housing. Reedy Branch Rd. is the road that goes behind PCC, and is primed for development.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,558,465 times
Many of the newer apartment complexes in the area that are geared towards college students seem to be all built and owned by larger conglomerates these days. They have themes and usually offer amenities like shuttles to the university and pools / gym etc.. Might be hard to compete with those. The PCC option somebody suggested sounds good, and that would also put you near the Winterville area which is where the better schools are.

Lakewood Pines is another older subdivision that hasn't already been mentioned. There are alot of flowering trees and shrubs there that would blossom in spring creating a very colorful landscape.

Most of all of course, the job will dictate where you land. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 AM

Thanks you all for suggestions. Right now we are doing exploratory research and plan to drop by in the area in April, and then again if necessary to evaluate which ones we like so we can zero down.
I really appreciate all of your help.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,110,068 times
I posted in the Triad forum also, but having lived in Greenville from 2005-2009 and now the Triad since 2011, I would easily pick the Triad - either Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Any reason you don't mention the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel-Hill/Cary area)? There's even an area made for people like us (from up north/NY/etc) - Cary.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM

I refuse to live in the Triangle. I spend almost 20 years in Brooklyn, then we moved to Suffolk county (Stony Brook) in Long Island. I like having space around me, hate traffic with a passion, and would to experience small town feeling, where people know each other, i can get involved in community affairs, and nothing is rushed.
On top of that I would love to have my kids, grow in more free atmosphere, where they are not expected to be at different extra curriculum activity every day, and have a freedom to play. Kids here that I see are chauffeured everywhere, spend time indoors, and have no time to be kids. And we barely know our neighbors, spend over an hour in traffic each way to work and feel constantly frazzled. So for that reason we are looking for something smaller, but with potential for jobs.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,110,068 times
The Triad will likely have a much better opportunity for jobs than Greenville, solely due to being a larger area (several times larger in population). Though Greenville is probably growing faster and has been for a while. I grew up in Westchester County, NY (but haven't lived there in 30 years)...Greenville was just a bit smaller than I wanted. When I took a job there in 2005, I expected to stay in Greenville as long as I had my job - I just didn't expect to make it only for 4 years. When that job ended, we lived in a rural area about 30 miles northeast of Raleigh until 2011 when we moved to the Triad. My wife prefers the Triangle, but I think I like the Triad the best of the 3 areas in NC that we've lived.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,558,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biedronka15 View Post
I refuse to live in the Triangle. I spend almost 20 years in Brooklyn, then we moved to Suffolk county (Stony Brook) in Long Island. I like having space around me, hate traffic with a passion, and would to experience small town feeling, where people know each other, i can get involved in community affairs, and nothing is rushed.
On top of that I would love to have my kids, grow in more free atmosphere, where they are not expected to be at different extra curriculum activity every day, and have a freedom to play. Kids here that I see are chauffeured everywhere, spend time indoors, and have no time to be kids. And we barely know our neighbors, spend over an hour in traffic each way to work and feel constantly frazzled. So for that reason we are looking for something smaller, but with potential for jobs.
Small town living in ENC may not be the Andy Griffith world that you're expecting I'm afraid. Many of the families have been there for generations and are not very open to new comers. These areas are not necessarily devoid of crime, either. Drugs, robbery, and murder are not unheard of. Good luck with what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina