U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-21-2006, 07:39 PM

110 posts, read 278,975 times
Default New Bern and Hurricanes

Is there anyone from New Bern that could comment on the severity of hurricanes there? Is it close enough to the coast that it has to be evacuated? I'd love to live close to the coast but don't want to have to run inland every time a hurricane approaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-21-2006, 07:45 PM

2,295 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Is there anyone from New Bern that could comment on the severity of hurricanes there? Is it close enough to the coast that it has to be evacuated? I'd love to live close to the coast but don't want to have to run inland every time a hurricane approaches.
My sister in-law lives in that area Newport to be exact, and she's been there since 1994. They haven't had to evacuate yet but they do board up their windows and they say they would stay through a cat 3 but nothing more.

Unread 10-21-2006, 07:47 PM

5,658 posts, read 16,826,184 times
New Bern is only 15 feet above sea level.

Unread 10-23-2006, 11:20 AM

787 posts, read 2,296,231 times
While you probably will not get the storm surge in New Bern, don't delude yourself into thinking that New Bern is far enough off the coast for hurricane damage. I live in Greene County, about 45 miles to the west of New Bern and we have had horrendous hurricane damage in the past. Floyd o 1999 was the prime offender, followed by Hurricane Fran in 1996. Back in 1954, a Cat. 4 hit Morehead City nearly head on and caused all kinds of damage and probably deaths. Hazel was truly a witch when she came in. Although I was only 3 at the time, I remember Hazel.
Also we have been treated with some hurricanes from further south like Jeanne, Ivan and Charlie even causing damage further west than Raleigh. Normally speaking the hardest hit areas during a hurricane are the 42 of the 100 counties that are in the coastal plain region. New Bern would normally be voluntarily evauated at a hurricane of at least a Cat. 3 and I don't know if I would even stay for a Cat. 2.

Unread 10-23-2006, 01:19 PM

505 posts, read 1,501,365 times
I lived in New Bern from 86 to 2001.

Went through Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis twice.

New Bern does not flood. The river is very wide and has high banks. Downtown does flood, but you will not be there during a storm anyway. If you live in a yard with lots of pine trees around your house, cut them all down, pine trees are the number one house killer during hurricanes in New Bern. Hardwoods are fine though.

Basically, dont worry about Hurricanes at all in New Bern....just get rid of the Pine trees, and go with maples (not silver) and hardwood trees.

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I lived in New Bern from 86 to 2001.

Went through Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis twice.

New Bern does not flood. The river is very wide and has high banks. Downtown does flood, but you will not be there during a storm anyway. If you live in a yard with lots of pine trees around your house, cut them all down, pine trees are the number one house killer during hurricanes in New Bern. Hardwoods are fine though.

Basically, dont worry about Hurricanes at all in New Bern....just get rid of the Pine trees, and go with maples (not silver) and hardwood trees.

We lived in New Bern for three years and I can say without a doubt that New Bern DOES flood! Our home was near Brice's Creek and during Bertha, we sustained no damage from flooding, even though the apartments next to us did. During Fran, we evacuated to Burlington, NC and had to stay for two days because of the degree of flooding. When we returned to New Bern, our landlord had already torn out the carpeting (thank goodness we had stacked our furniture on cement blocks!) and we found that every vehicle in the parking lot (including our second vehicle) had been totaled! The water level had reached the side view mirrors. You have to remember that even though it sits inland, the Trent and Neuse Rivers meet there and tend to flood as a result of the storm swelling in the ocean.

Unread 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM

505 posts, read 1,501,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanwc View Post
We lived in New Bern for three years and I can say without a doubt that New Bern DOES flood! Our home was near Brice's Creek and during Bertha, we sustained no damage from flooding, even though the apartments next to us did. During Fran, we evacuated to Burlington, NC and had to stay for two days because of the degree of flooding. When we returned to New Bern, our landlord had already torn out the carpeting (thank goodness we had stacked our furniture on cement blocks!) and we found that every vehicle in the parking lot (including our second vehicle) had been totaled! The water level had reached the side view mirrors. You have to remember that even though it sits inland, the Trent and Neuse Rivers meet there and tend to flood as a result of the storm swelling in the ocean.

Of course there are areas of new bern that flood, every town has them.

But after Hurricane Floyd (the big one) New Bern hardly had any flooding, compared to the rest of eastern NC. The point I am trying to make is you don't have to worry about major flooding in New Bern from Major Hurricanes. (unless your downtown...front st area)

When 10 or more inches of rain falls, you will always have low lying areas flood just like any other cities. If you live right on Brices Creek, it can flood bcause it it so low. So can a small part of olde town near the trent. But if you live just away from it...no worries.

Hurricanes are not a problem in New Bern. Neither is major flooding. I was there during all the major hurricanes. So boring I slept through most if them.

Just pay attention to the weather ahead of time. If a Cat 4 is racing towards Onslow and heading towards New Bern (Bertha's path).....then I would worry. lol

If a storm takes the Wilmington track....like most, don't worry in New Bern.

Unread 07-31-2007, 05:19 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,105,076 times
The inner and outer banks of NC is so diverse-What will be affected and how it will be affected by a hurricane is simply unpredictable..
Each hurricane is different too.
Coastal North Carolina has waterfront properties that face all directions, North, South, East and West.
Guess what-The wind from a hurricane can come from all directions too!
One hurricane can be blowing off the water onto you which creates a flood situation. Another hurricane could be blowing from the opposite direction blowing the water away from you.
Duiring every hurricane both scenario's occur.
The real problem with hurricanes is the flooding that occurrs afterwards due to rain. This may take days or weeks after the storm to occurr. The Inner banks is most affected by flooding.
And no place is "safe" from a hurricane. Hurricane Hugo in 1989 reached all the way into Charlotte. A couple of storms a few years ago came up through the Gulf and flooded the NC mountains.
Hurricanes are scary. There are ways to tell if your property (or the properety you are interested in buying) is prone or more apt to flood. But do not let hurricanes prohibit you from living in eastern NC.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 07-31-2007 at 05:53 AM..

Unread 07-31-2007, 06:29 AM

148 posts, read 355,188 times
Hurricanes are measured on a scale of 1-5. A 1 is really nothing more than a bigger tropical storm, winds from 74-86 is an approximate wind speed. Ive seen Nor'easters worse than a CAT 1 hurricane. A CAT2 hurricane is up to around 110mph winds. You have to remember these strong winds are USUALLY at the center or eye of a storm. It is better to have a FAST moving storm that moves at 18mph, than one that moves at 8mph. A slow churning storm can dump alot of rain and POUND you. Most people forget that Floyd was sort of an a anomaly, before the storm, we had been drenched by rain for about a month on and off by alot of thunderstorms and maybe one or two tropical storms before Floyd. The ground was rain saturated. I left here because Floyd was a CAT 5 hurricane 1.5 days before it hit here. Only a fool would hang around for a CAT 5 hurricane. But about 18-20 hours before Floyd made landfall, it dropped to a CAT1 hurricane, but the storm was so large, maybe about 300miles across, that it dropped alot of rain. Well after the storm all that rain collected in creeks and streams, ditches, and canals that feed into the Tar River and The Neuse river and it was a real mess. But most people forget, another culprit that harmed our area, was that the Army corp of Engineers, let loose the dams up in Raleigh, at about a million gallons an hour, if I remember the NEWS cast correctly. Now they may have spared Raleigh, but what do you think happened to the folks in the East part of the state. Hogs were floating in the rivers and streams. Kinston was overflowed and buried. The waters could just not drain fast enough, because the ocean and sound tides, twice a day, held up up the drainage because of high tide. It took a LONG time for all that water to drain and for the ground to absorb it all. Hurricanes come and go. But there is some benefit to these large storms. After a storm, the air is so clean and fresh and crisp. Hopefully no one gets hurt and that there is no damage. But a storm has a side effect of cleaning out some stuff and as I said the air is Clean. Every where you go there is danger from some type of natural circumstances, but come to Eastern NC, especially Western Carteret and Eastern Onslow Counties, you will enjoy it.

Unread 08-01-2007, 04:16 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,105,076 times
And let me add something to Steven's post-The fishing is usually VERY good before and after a storm too!
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina