Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times

Advertisements

I know this is a very LONG commute but if living in Moyock and working in Newport News is there a ways to avoid the $4.00/day toll on RT.168 Chesapeake Express way with out adding a significant amount of time to the commute. Can you take the rt.168 S. Battlefield Boulevard around the the toll section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 PM

144 posts, read 680,031 times
Thumbs up Yes it's easy

Yes there are two alternatives. One is you can get an electronic pass that cuts the cost down to .50 each way or you can turn left at the last light before the toll onto old 168 (the road on the right is called Galbush Rd. and I think the old way is still called Battlefield Blvd. but not sure) and go north to the Wawa and turn left at that light and get back onto new 168 bypassing the toll. It is the only way I go to VA. You do have to be careful that when you come to the Centerville Pkwy, turn off (which is actually a fork in the road at Hardee's) that you bear left on the fork but other than that it's fairly easy. If you opt to get the EZ-pass or whatever it's called you can sign up online. Look up Chesapeake Expressway. You should find it easily.
Also, I hope if you are making the commute to NN you take I664 to the Merrimac bridge tunnel. It's faster and shorter.
Happy hunting.
You are right that is a long commute to NN about 1 hour each way. That will get old quick but there are people who do it. Maybe you could find a commute buddie or something. There used to be buses that went to the Shipyard in NN but I don't know if there still are.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Yes there are two alternatives. One is you can get an electronic pass that cuts the cost down to .50 each way or you can turn left at the last light before the toll onto old 168 (the road on the right is called Galbush Rd. and I think the old way is still called Battlefield Blvd. but not sure) and go north to the Wawa and turn left at that light and get back onto new 168 bypassing the toll. It is the only way I go to VA. You do have to be careful that when you come to the Centerville Pkwy, turn off (which is actually a fork in the road at Hardee's) that you bear left on the fork but other than that it's fairly easy. If you opt to get the EZ-pass or whatever it's called you can sign up online. Look up Chesapeake Expressway. You should find it easily.
Also, I hope if you are making the commute to NN you take I664 to the Merrimac bridge tunnel. It's faster and shorter.
Happy hunting.
You are right that is a long commute to NN about 1 hour each way. That will get old quick but there are people who do it. Maybe you could find a commute buddie or something. There used to be buses that went to the Shipyard in NN but I don't know if there still are.
Hi Ebediel,

I spoke to you a long time ago with questions about moyock. Thanks so much for this information. i sent it on to hubby. To answer your question in the currituck county post about why Moyock, we have several reasons. cost of living is lower in NC than VA, taxes are lower, hubby is in LOVE with tulls bay colony, for me distance to the OBX and for hubby distance to Oregon Inlet (for fishing). As far as house hunting we're going to be looking in the tidewater area of VA down into Moyock with tulls bay being the farthest point in our search.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 AM

144 posts, read 680,031 times
I remember speaking with you before and I am glad you haven't given up looking yet.
"Cost of living"-wise I fully understand, although, something for you to consider. Most of the people here in Moyock wind up shopping in VA because things are actually cheaper in Chesapeake at Walmart, etc. but the taxes and housing costs will be definitely cheaper in Moyock. Tulls Bay is a really neat little section in Moyock and one of my favorites. Hope all goes well in your search and just let me know if I can be of further assistance.

You say that your husband will be working in Hampton/NN will you be looking for a job as well? I might be able to suggest somethings there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina