Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,815 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this was already posted or not I just wanted to make sure though. Im relocating to Wilmington in Jan. I think I found a place at N 4th & Chesnut...bad area??? I've been to Wilmington before and I can't remember if that was a shady area or not... Looking it up on google it seems pretty close to the riverfront which I heard was a better. Any info would be awesome. I don't want to end up getting this place and it being bad. Thanks alot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,448,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie03 View Post
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this was already posted or not I just wanted to make sure though. Im relocating to Wilmington in Jan. I think I found a place at N 4th & Chesnut...bad area???
It's very close to the shops/restaurants downtown. I wouldn't say it's a bad area. I wouldn't say it's a great area, either, but it's probably just as safe as where I live downtown.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 PM

18 posts, read 125,163 times
Honestly, after 5 years in Wilmington, no area is a good area... I can say that w/certainty. I'm a clean cut kinda gal, all of my friends are as well...

Yet, in my 5 years here, on SEPARATE OCCASIONS, I have been:

1. mugged by two men at the same time downtown (on market, not in ghetto at all)
2. rushed to the ER b/c someone put something in my drink and i couldn't breathe
3. orally sexually assaulted and had the cop told me that it "didn't count"
4. had my parked car smashed downtown (and had the police explain that the girl backed into me b/c she was trying to get away from a man w/a gun who broke her window)
5. had my parked car totaled in my drive way by a drunk chick mad @ her girlfriend
6. ... ii'm tired of listing... but i know several people with more bad things... the schools downtown go on lockdown at least 2-3 times a month b/c of "incidents", the crime blotters read like an episode of law and order special victims unit, and the system supposedly in charge of dealing w/it all is extremely corrupt

I'm not just randomly bitching... I take the bad w/the good... The good is that UNCW offered a graduate research area that I couldn't get anywhere else... The good is that I made some great friends here... The good is the nightlife... beach or downtown, it's all awesome... The good is teh beach... The good is the nice housing options (seriously, apartments and condos here are BIG and nice for the most part)...

I'm just trying to say that you should not let your guard down here... I'm not saying to buy a taser, I definitely don't do that or even pepper spray even after all that happened to me... but I am saying to make sure your doors are locked, that you always have a fully charged cell phone... and that you keep in touch w/friends/family who know where you are at all times in case you need help

have fun and welcome!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,815 times
Hey thanks a lot!! that info helped me, I mean I kinda expect it to be kinda bad because really in what city is everything perfect? But thanks I'll be careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina