Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 10,713 times

Advertisements

Hi all, hoping I can get some information. I'm looking to semi-retire to a quiet area near the coast from upstate NY (within 20 minutes or so from the beach). Not looking for night life, just decent shops and a safe area. I'd appreciate any info and feedback on areas to look that are reasonable as far as housing costs, taxes, etc. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,915,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabunny View Post
Hi all, hoping I can get some information. I'm looking to semi-retire to a quiet area near the coast from upstate NY (within 20 minutes or so from the beach). Not looking for night life, just decent shops and a safe area. I'd appreciate any info and feedback on areas to look that are reasonable as far as housing costs, taxes, etc. Thanks !
You can search this forum for similar threads, and there have been dozens of them. We retired to Sneads Ferry, near North Topsail Beach. Homes are available here, with everything from a mobile home around $100K to ranches at $175K, to homes at the beach around $400K and up. Our taxes on a home worth about $300K will be $1900/year. We consider that reasonable. However, we will also pay about $1900/year for homeowners insurance to cover hurricane insurance.

If you describe your price range, people can give you a better idea of where to look. For example, Leland and Southport are very popular with retirees, but they are pricier than Sneads Ferry.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
We are in Nags Head and love it. The coastal community is very close knit. Be prepared to pay less property taxes but much more for insurance. And look for an X flood zone or no flood zone.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
we will also pay about $1900/year for homeowners insurance to cover hurricane insurance.
Correction, that's $2300/year for homeowner's insurance which includes the wind and hail damage.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM

38 posts, read 75,004 times
You might look into the Hampstead area northeast of Wilmington. It's about 20 minutes from Wrightsville Beach to the south and the same to Topsail Beach to the north. It's close to the Mayfaire shopping center in Wilmington and there are grocery stores (and a Walmart going to be built fairly close by). Another area that's small and similar to where you currently live is Leland, to the west of Wilmington. It's population is around 15,000 I believe, but it's an up and coming area with close access to the shopping Wilmington has to offer. There's a lot of talk about the area south of Leland having some retail stores built there too. Wrightsville Beach is about 20-30 mins away from Leland. There are some beaches to the south (maybe someone will comment on Oak Island) that I'm not sure about the driving time (30-40 mins, but as I understand it, some have free parking and you won't spend time driving around looking for spots on the weekend afternoons like you will at Wrightsville Beach in the summer. I think the housing will be more affordable in NC as long as you stay away from flood zone properties. Give us an idea of your budget and I think people will be able to give more relevant responses for you.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Thank you for the replies. My budget is between $120,000-$160,000 (ranch home) and I'd like to stay out of flood zones (obviously). I appreciate the info ! I was not aware of Sneads Ferry and will look into that. I'm taking a trip down in a month or so to get a feel for these areas.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:01 AM

Also, any info on Shallotte?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I was not aware of Sneads Ferry and will look into that. I'm taking a trip down in a month or so to get a feel for these areas.
Just be warned the the Marines at Camp Lejeune make a lot of noise with artillery and helicopters. We have gotten used to it.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Also, any info on Shallotte?
You can search the forum for additional threads. Shallotte is convenient to Myrtle Beach and has a few golf communities. Perhaps you can find a bargain there.

Shallotte vs Southport?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Thanks again everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina